Tell me about the pc engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about the pc engine

since i started to heavily look into import gaming a couple of years ago i always thought i would get a pc engine one day. Unfortunately i have never played one before so have never decided to take the risk, combined with needing a new tele if i ever got one thanks to no available RGB output. Seeing that Duddyroar is now the proud owner of a pc engine my want for the system has increased yet again, i don't know why, maybe its because it always seems untouchable, that forbidden fruit that always draws me near, or that i'm just too curious for my own good, not knowing anybody who has got one to be able to sample the system is probably just as much to draw me in as it does to repel.

I know if i ever get one that i must go for the duo varients, however how does the system compare to it rivals at the time? how does it play compared to the other 16bit consoles (both graphically and playability)? I saw a video of sapphire before (or i thought it was sapphire) and it looked like it was running on a 32 bit console, is this the kind of performance that the pc engine can do? What games are a must for the system? Basically just tell me your thoughts on the system

http://www.pcenginefx.com/phpBB/

check out above website

Comment

I the PC Engine.

Graphically, it shuns the Megadrive and was a very popular system in Japan. Lots of arcade ports and plenty of original titles. If you were to take a sample of games, you're looking at slightly better than Megadrive quality, with a small few seriously competing with early 32-bit stuff. The CD based stuff was well used with some quality (albeit CD based) music, some CD only releases. Extra cards bump the capability of the machine nicely and stuff like Jackie Chan, G'n'G are great on the system. Playability is just what you would expect from a retro system mind, typical of the era. There's every game going for the system but nothing that wasn't on other hardware (at the time, at least an equivalent, maybe superior in terms of game play).

Nice system though. PC Engine GET!

Comment

Continuing the links flamimg...

Comment

Oh, don't pay over the odds importing a system either. They're not in great demand and there is usually a fair lot of them floating around, even a the odd boot.

Comment

thanks for the advice markler

i'm not going to bother looking at the links though, i'm sure many topics have been covered many times over in the retro forum, if we were not allowed to repeat topics or have similar ones then these retro forum would be dead as there would be nothing to talk about. Well except maybe a phllips cdi appreciation thread (i don't think thats been done yet)

so people, please tell me about the pc engine

Comment

Start with a HuCard machine to keep cost low, you can upgarade from there easily to CD if you want later.

Basically you probably want either Core Grafx or a Supergrafx console.

For easy route to the top, Duo's are all in-wonder units, tho later versions (R, RX) are recomended due to possible technical issues.

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
                i'm not going to bother looking at the links though,
                So why should anyone bother helping you? Any questions you may have will be answered in the above links.

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama
                  So why should anyone bother helping you? Any questions you may have will be answered in the above links.
                  every time someone asks us to recommend shooters or jap saturn games (probably two of the most popular threads in the retro section) shall i just link them to previous threads? that will not be answering their question. If in person someone asks me a question i do not just throw them a book and say look it up. I believe its polite to answer any questions, if you don't want to then fair enough just don't reply. By the way i'm not having a go at you its just a pet hate of mine

Lets keep on topic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar

Graphically, it shuns the Megadrive and was a very popular system in Japan. Lots of arcade ports and plenty of original titles. If you were to take a sample of games, you're looking at slightly better than Megadrive quality, with a small few seriously competing with early 32-bit stuff.
                    If you're talking graphically throughout then that is a little misleading imo. There are a lot of shabby looking pce games..and I'd rate the average graphics of the machine a little lower than the average graphics of the md. Obviously at extremes, say Sapphire you could argue otherwise..but then you could also factor in the mcd and 32x on the md side.

If you're talking in terms of overall quality, then yeah the pce is better, just. Both machines have lots of classics..but the pce just edges it.(imo)
                    G'n'G
                    Supergrahx only though, not regular pce (but as you say a stunning game)

There's every game going for the system but nothing that wasn't on other hardware (at the time, at least an equivalent, maybe superior in terms of game play).
                    I dunno about that tbh. Sure, all the genres the pce has are covered by other systems. But that doesn't deny that there are a shed load of pce exclusive games that are must haves. Also doesn't deny that the pce does have some of the finest examples of some games/genres you will ever play. R-Type an example of the former, DracX the latter.

Comment

I've been in and out of Engines for around 15 years now and i'm currently back in the Engine way.

I personally love the look of the original White Engine but you need to make sure it's RGB modded. To save faffing about it's best going straight for one of the Duo models as they play everything.

My personnal fave games are:-

Gunhed
                      Super Star Soldier
                      Jackie Chan
                      Galaga 88
                      Bomberman 93
                      Devil Crash (better than the MD version)
                      Final Soldier
                      Air Zonk
                      PC Kid 1,2,3
                      Gate/Wind of Thunder

Comment

The PC Engine is a verrry nice machine. The graphics seem to have everso slightly lower res than the MD's but many of the games look a bit nicer due to better use of colour/more available colours (if anybody knows any better, feel free to correct me on this.) And the HuCard is probably the most aesthetically pleasing storage medium for games ever - they're friggin' beautiful.

Comment

Oh yeah. Aesthetically its is the best system ever made. The briefcase set up, when the 2 units are pure white, is just inspired.

Similarly the diversity and abundance of hardware is stunning, and of stunning quality. I mean what other consoles can boast a bass vibrating cushion! Also I can't name a single person I know who has been anything other than bowled over backwards by the quality of the LT screen..well over a decade old now technology wise.

Comment

how about the FX? i know many consider it a flop but i have this urge to play it, i saw a video of chip chan kick and it has to be one of the most charming games i've ever seen, i just want to have the chance to play it.

Comment

Working...
                            X