No announcement yet.

Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the game as hard as the demo? I have finished Call of Duty 2 on Veteran, but I thought both PS2 and Xbox demos were nails hard for such an "arcade" shooter.

Comment

Hope I get in to this when I buy it, as I can't stand the Dual Shock sticks for First Person Shooters.

I wish it was on the Gamecube because that pad is loads better for this type of game IMO. (I don't have an Xbox)

Comment

Originally posted by dc-arena
        Is the game as hard as the demo? I have finished Call of Duty 2 on Veteran, but I thought both PS2 and Xbox demos were nails hard for such an "arcade" shooter.
        I found it much easier than the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny
          If that is the case I hope Criterion take this to the next level, as in Xbox 360, revamp the game, perhaps even make a completely new game (White?) with multiplayer components as well and really go to town.

They're planning on turning it into a franchise depending upon the reception it receives. At least that's what I read in some interview with them somewhere.

I'm in two minds about this now, sounds just like my Burnout experience, sugary and sweet on the outside and then a bit grim (read disappointing) once you get into it. It appeals but is it worth the purchase, aah well we'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Hadi
            I found it much easier than the demo.
            It's a piece of piss in Normal. Only a couple of the later levels are any challenge at all. It's a shame you can't play through initially in Hard, and have to unlock it, because it's a wee bit more of a challenge.

Comment

I've just done the first two missions, taking a tea break and then going back to it and i am actually looking forward to going back to it.
              Mission 1 is over in about 5 minutes, and mission 2 i just finished took about 1hr (approx).
              It looks nice like has been mentioned, i like some of the guns, ak47 is nice, shotgun is powerful and the uzi fires fast.
              Just early impressions, unless anything changes, (i'm only 2 missions in) it don't bring anything new to the table, but you can't slate a game for not doing that.
              Mission 2 was solid and varied, these are early impressions, you can't take too much from mission one as it ends very quickly!
              I'd take the advice what someone has given and give it a rent, i'll post more when i finish the game, probably by tomorrow!

Comment

It's a decent game.....its excellent for a ps2 fps....by a mile the best on the machine and pushes the ps2 to its limit. As far as the xbox version goes....its still good and worth a go but xbox has plenty more out there. I was workin at EA when they were making this and they were hyping it up alot.....they pushed the "almost anything can be destroyed" thing alot....and as you guys have pointed out only a handle of things can actually be destroyed....I love the explosions though!

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder
                  ....and as you guys have pointed out only a handle of things can actually be destroyed....I love the explosions though!
                  Only the handle of things can be blown up?!?!

That settles it, this game must be well boring...

(sorry to rip piss out of typo...couldn't resist )

Comment

GameSpot review.

The review's spot on, basically. Funny an American review site gives a more representative score than several "harsh" British publications (EDGE, Games TM, Eurogamer).

Edit:
                    1up review
                    IGN review
                    Last edited by Mephistopheles; 24-02-2006, 09:40.

Comment

I'm a quarter of the way through it now and still loving it! Destruction keeps on getting better.

One great thing I've found by accident is the bullet ricochet. I tried shooting a platform down and all I see is the roof glass shattering, and thinking WTF? So I shoot it again, and realise that the bullet is ricocheting (sp?) from the platform to the roofl. Gonna try and take out enemies from behind corners like this now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
                        GameSpot review.

The review's spot on, basically. Funny an American review site gives a more representative score than several "harsh" British publications (EDGE, Games TM, Eurogamer).

Edit:
                        1up review
                        IGN review
                        What's the gist of that gamespot review? I'm on the computer at work and firewalls won't let me access....

Comment

i thought to hell with it, and got the Xbox version today. and i'm enjoying it immensely - it's the kind of game i have been waiting for for a long time - a game whose main aim is balls-out destruction and killing anything that moves, by whatever means necessary. i'm only two missions in and my face is hurting from smiling.

it looks and sounds great, with the movement at just the right speed (for me anyway). i was a bit phased by the reloading, when the screen blurs, but it's a neat trick sort of 'making' you take cover as the animation runs through. as i play, i'm beginning to scope out possible flashpoints and herding the bad guys towards them - just so i can watch **** blow up!

it may be over quickly, but it has no pretentions about what it is - it's an arcade shooter with the focus on enjoyment, and it does that extremely well (so far).

Comment

Originally posted by vocoderfreak
                            What's the gist of that gamespot review? I'm on the computer at work and firewalls won't let me access....
                            I think the general jist of the review was something like this...

Black is an explosion-filled first-person shooter from Criterion Games, the company responsible for bringing explosions to driving games with the Burnout series. Like the Burnout games, Black packs in a lot of firepower. It seems like something's blowing up every minute or two, and this helps the game make an absolutely killer first impression. The action, however, doesn't hold up for long. Black quickly falls into a rut that not even amazing-looking blast effects can save it from. They gave it a 7.4 (Good).

Comment

Bottom line imo its good and should be played. Its great fun for a while but not gonna last long.

Oh and the FMV scenes are ****ing ****.

Comment

yeah - i really can do without the gash live-action clips. it looks (and sounds) like they picked up a couple of am-dram scenery chewers to act out the scenes. it's not even their own bloody voices.

heh. just thought - how much funnier it would be if they got Derek and Clive to do the voiceovers instead. if i was that way inclined i would try and dub it myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X