Tetris DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tetris DS

It's Tetris people - blocks fall, lines are cleared, the action gets desperate as you near the top of the screen; so far, so good.

Presentation is very slick; action takes place on one screen, whilst the other is adorned with something Nintendo-ish - Mario traversing a level from SMB, cakes & pastries from Yoshi's Cookie for examples. It's great to here recognisable themes & spot effects playing in the background as well - Mario, Zelda & Metroid are all represented, I'm sure with others I haven't got to yet.

There are 6 single-player modes to choose from -

Standard is the game we know & love.

Mission sets out tasks for you to complete as you play (clear 3 lines in a row, that sort of thing).

Puzzle is a bit dull - the top screen shows an uncompleted screen & you have to choose the order of pieces to finish it off; it's a jarring change of pace to the Tetris action & I can't see myself venturing into it much.

Touch uses stylus control to move blocks that are already on screen (like a slide puzzle) - it's responsive enough, but again it won't replace the classic action.

Catch takes a little time to get used to - you have a core of blocks floating on the bottom screen & further shapes drop from above; you have to manipulate your core to catch the falling shapes (these can't be rearranged). It's tricky, but quite interesting.

Push is a great mode - you take the top screen, your opponent (cpu or human) takes the bottom screen; the idea is to create rows between you, then build on them to push your opponent nearer their danger line. As there's no base involved, it's not quite as simple as setting up a 4 then inserting the long shape to finish it off - you can only build against blocks that are already settled, either from you or your opponent. If you send down a shape where there are no settled blocks, it'll just disappear off the screen. It gets quite hectic, but is a lot of fun

Online play is fun - Standard & Push are the modes available online. Connecting is simple & I've had no problems finding players so far (although I've not played loads of online). There doesn't seem to be any lag, so the action remains fast & furious - I can see the potential for great rivalries to be played out & there's a good chance that this is how wars will be fought in the future.

Apparently the spinning block technique is still in the game (where you can rotate a block on the spot before it settles) although it's not an infinite spin - I haven't used it myself & it's a rubbish idea; I can't see how it will benefit anyone much in multiplayer anyway, as the action is really quick - if you spend ages spinning a block trying to decide where to put it, you'll lose.

My one minor complaint so far is a graphical one - when a falling block appears, it's momentarily half cut off the screen; you have to wait for it to drop a fraction before you see the whole thing. It's not a major problem, & you can use the next block box at the side to see what it actually is, but it is a noticeable 'thing' when you first play - at least it was for me. Like I said, that is a minor gripe, not a deal breaker.

To sum up - lots of fun, compelling & addictive Tetris action, online play. Great stuff.

Nice one. I'm thinking of picking this up for the wife, should cement my case for giving her my DS so I can get a new version.

Where did you get your copy from?

Comment

Got mine from Tronix, they rock.

Can't play it yet as its a present.

Still, I've got Metroid Hunters to tide me over.

Comment

It's a really nice version of the game. Not tried online yet, but I've cleared the 200 line standard game this morning, and done a fair few of the puzzles (I've quite enjoyed that mode on my commute for the last couple of days).

Like most newer Tetris versions, there are a few differences to the classic Gameboy version that most people are used to, but personally I'm generally fond of most of the changes. About the biggest gameplay change is the addition of the hold function, where you can opt to keep a piece to one side and go to the next one, then swap it back in later. At higher levels, this becomes really useful. Also, there is a ghost piece display showing you where the current piece will land, and an instant drop feature you can activate by pushing up on the dpad. Unline the GB version, the next piece display now shows the next six pieces, and can't be turned off. This sounds like a lot, but you don't honestly have the time to plan that far ahead anyway. The ghost display and instant drop can be turned off, but the other new features can't.

The rotation when pieces have landed is infinite, I think. You can just keep hitting rotate and the piece won't lock down. At lower levels, this seems a bit like cheating, but once you're up past 180 lines or so, the pieces pretty much instantly drop, so you need to be able to manipulate them before they lock into place.

The game is very heavily themed on Nintendo games. Possibly too heavily. It's all a bit much as you get bombarded with new backgrounds and music every ten lines. The final theme at 190 lines comes as a bit of a relief. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like at least an option to choose a more simple display, or even just to pick one theme and stick with it rather than changing all the time. It's a minor gripe with an otherwise excellent game, though.

Comment

OK, I need to ask this question cause my Tetris skills ROX...
          How does this version of Tetris compare to the Arika versions of Tetris?
          How fast does it progress as you play?? Is it all manic after 5 mins of play?
          Does it have a maximum speed?
          Oh and most importantly... Can you save during mid game?

Comment

There's no save function as such, but it supports the DS's suspend mode, so you can stop and come back later that way.

I've not played the Arika games (they really should get that Xbox 360 version out in the west as an Arcade title or something), but the DS gets pretty fast. From level 18 onwards, the pieces are no longer falling, they're just appearing at the bottom of the screen. I've not got beyond level 20 yet, but I can't detect any changes in speed from 18 to 20 (though I'm not sure how it could get faster really, unless they reduce the time for lines to disappear or somthing). If you don't touch the controls, you're getting about two pieces a second at this speed.

It starts slowly, but ramps up fairly fast. You can start at level 20 speed if you want to miss out the build up.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
              There's no save function as such, but it supports the DS's suspend mode
              Tell me more about this suspend mode... I have never heard of this!

Comment

such a slowboy phil

Suspend mode is when you close the lid on your ds, its on every ds game you have ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
                  such a slowboy phil

Suspend mode is when you close the lid on your ds, its on every ds game you have ever owned.
                  Absolutely big doh!

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
                    I see you have never played the Euro release of Zoo Keeper then.

Comment

have to say i'm really enjoying this, its a perfect train/bus/tube game and they have really put some effort into providing lots of different game modes to ensure old tetris hands don't get bored.

i particulalry like the touch screen puzzle and tower modes.

pretty good effort and much better than i was expecting.

Comment

I've been really impressed by this so far. Some of the new modes are better than others, but overall it's a great package. I'm addicted to Touch mode, only wish there were more than 5 levels, a time attack mode and more levels would have been perfect. I wasn't too taken with it at first but once I got my head around the controls, it quickly became my favourite new addition. It might just nudge out Push mode, which is also incredibly addictive. Great that it's actually online as well, so far the standard of people I've played has been very high. I was a bit shocked at first but then I remembered that there isn't a soul in the world who hasn't played Tetris. It's also a nice way to relax after a particulary tense game of Metroid.

Comment

My copy of Tetris DS just arrived today.
                          I don?t think that the infinite rotation feature is much of a problem. It certainly feels a bit cheap, but on the other hand helps beginners to get into the game.
                          For me those features are not an issue and definitely no reason not to get the game.

The new modes are interesting as well. In particular the puzzle modes are very entertaining and allow one to take a break from the fast action of regular Tetris.

The competition in WiFi Multiplayer is quite tough. The action is so fast it?s as if I was driving with 200 km/h on a narrow mountain road and there was no time to slow down.

Overall a must-have NDS game in my view, especially if used online.

Comment

I trust this has high score saves...

Comment

I couldn't bear the wait for the UK version!
                              I slapped on order for a copy on videogameplus...
                              I hope it's good!

Comment

Working...
                              X