No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think square keep out doing themselves with localisation. each race in FFXII has its own ethnic voicework. i think its pretty solid good stuff, i think the english being the bad guys was just luck, like someone said most of the hume race including the heroes are english in portrayel.

Comment

Some of us won't be satisifed with anything less than that the original JPN voices, I know that's what I want.

But Square did a decent job of voicework with Dirge of Cerberus and the little I played of this seemed good job also.

Comment

well in japan they get both. maybe in the future it will happen in the west. until then we have to make do.

Comment

If the method of translation is anything like Vagrant Story they would have simply handed the plot over to Alexander O. Smith and his team and let them take it from there. Apart from making sure the key plot points were covered Smith pretty much had free reign as far as the scene-to-scene dialogue went, including the changing of some game elements and names.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabreman
            If the method of translation is anything like Vagrant Story they would have simply handed the plot over to Alexander O. Smith and his team and let them take it from there. Apart from making sure the key plot points were covered Smith pretty much had free reign as far as the scene-to-scene dialogue went, including the changing of some game elements and names.
            That's pretty bad. I recognise the need to alter portions in able to accurately convey the intent and meaning in what's being said (which a literal translation would sometimes not), but complete re-writes just anger me.

Comment

Well, it didn't hurt Vagrant Story - almost universally considered one of the finest localization jobs out there. I think it's fine if the translator has a feel for the source material and knows the story that needs to be told, he can add his own flavour to it. One look at the results of people trying to literally translate Japanese games in the past is enough to convince that interpretation is a more reasonable method. I'll take that over a script full of awkward pauses, impenetrable passages and plot confusion.

But beside that, ultimately it's not a rewrite as such. The important plot elements and arcs are intact. It's the peripheral details and dialogues that are changed.

Comment

Personal preference I suppose, I really prefer a translation that captures what the original creator was trying to convey... in that sense, I don't mind the translator taking liberties. But there's a line, least IMO.

But I totally understand the point your getting at. As I say, personal preference. Suppose it's the subbed anime buff in me.

Comment

The difficulty level of this game is badly judged I'm finding. I'm 9 hours in to the game now, and on an airship where there are loads of guards ( Dreadnought Leviathan section ), which you have to fight through, and when you finally arrive at the destination there's a boss battle, unfortunately there isn't a save point before it, so when you die ( as I have several times now after about 8 hits or so, even with healing gambits on the go ) you have to go all the way back and fight through all the guards again - it's just irritating, I've never had an issue with a FF game like this before :/

I'm at the point now where I don't think I can be bothered continuing with it, which is a shame because the story up to now has been quite good.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 05-11-2006, 17:12.

Comment

is that the section where you fight a judge? i didn't have a problem with it from what i remember, im well into it now. there were tougher bosses than that.

Comment

Yeah, it's a judge - but he just wipes me out in no time, and I barely scratch him.

Finally managed to beat him
                      Last edited by MartyG; 05-11-2006, 18:40.

Comment

I had a problem with that, you need all three of your characters at level 11 or so, Vossler is 14 so he can deal some impressive damage. If you're not at that level yet, you'll need to farm a little, just run around setting off alarms chaining the guards a little.

Yea, it would be nice if the game warned you that you were a little too weak, you can clear all the trash before that with just the guest character and one of your own, then the main guys just destroy you. Also finding you need to heal alot more than in previous FF games, got Cure on everyone now.

Comment

Yea, it would be nice if the game warned you that you were a little too weak.
                          It does

Comment

is it just me or does the defence of bosses increase as you nearly kill them?

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills
                              It does
                              Err, where exactly, I must of overlooked it.

Comment

When you're selecting to target an enemy, it's name appears at the top of the screen in different colours. If it's green (or perhaps uncoloured, I forget) it's easy - yellow, it means it's normal - and red means it's tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X