No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a thread necro, but I finally went back to this. Thinking maybe I should've left it in the past.

Trying to do the hunts in the starting area, as I ignored them the last time I played (got about 8 hours in first time, in 2007). The second one seems difficult, as I'm far too low-level for it. I went up 2 levels with grinding, and went to fight the boss.

Start the process by observing that I couldn't fight it with the enemies around it, so I picked the enemies off and killed each of them. Then I fought the boss, got to the tipping point where I was going to win, and... The boss summons 2 enemies out of thin air and collectively they kill me in seconds.

I honestly had this feeling of the game designer on my shoulder laughing, condescendingly saying "NO NO NO. You will NOT think your way around the problem. You will grind it out boringly until any notion of applying independent thought to your strategy is a distant memory".

I'm uncertain if I want to go on. Have I forgotten, but is a lot of the game like this?

Comment

The hunts can be. From memory they don't follow the same difficulty curve as the rest of the game. There are some that will stay on your list until endgame time. They basically represent the notorious monster quests from Final Fantasy XI, but an offline version.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
        The hunts can be. From memory they don't follow the same difficulty curve as the rest of the game. There are some that will stay on your list until endgame time. They basically represent the notorious monster quests from Final Fantasy XI, but an offline version.
        Maybe it's just this specific situation. I've always disliked it when games give the impression you can do something clever to get around a problem and achieve something a bit beyond your characters, then mid-battle they smack you down as punishment for going beyond your current boundaries, as if you're being "told off".

I remember a situation with Star Wars Galaxies years ago, when myself and a friend got a Rancor (a huge enemy) down to almost zero health - a feat that normally took a team of 20 players, and we were going to get a huge XP payout. We did it by manipulating the enemy to pursue us to a dense location where the huge foe couldn't navigate very well, and then just chipped away at it. Moments before it died, the enemy despawned and respawned back at the original location with full health. Similarly, it felt like we were doing something that a real hunter would do, that any intelligent person would do, and were being punished for it. It was only a few days before I quit the game, never to return.

Comment

Hunts are ranked according to difficulty but it doesn't specify what levels you need for each rank. Never had an issue with them myself. Finished it last month and the game hasn't aged a day. Masterful.

Comment

Same as Nakamura, i just took on the hunts as they became available, certainly didn't kill all the hunts but i got close.. i certainly remember having alot of goes at the T-Rex in the sandstorm and never won.

Comment

Going to give this thread a bump as FFXII: The Zodiac Age will be getting a PC release with some decent features by the looks of it (60fps, choice of soundtracks, etc).

I'm interested for sure, but I'll get it at a later date as currently I don't have a graphics card suitable for gaming (got rid of it a while back as I wasn't making use of it).

Comment

Yes! Of the FF7 to XV run of entries XII remains the one I never stuck with and I've been riding it out for a PC release for an age. Excellent stuff

Comment

Working...
                X