No announcement yet.

Nintendo Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do softmod your Wii, I believe you can force 60Hz on your game using Gecko OS anyway.

Comment

Would that not add the extra lines to the image though?

On my PS2, if you force NTSC it makes the image bigger to compensate for what would have been borders.

Comment

It depends if the game is PAL optimised I guess. Worth a go though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
          Also, NTSC Wii games do support RGB. It's the NTSC console itself that doesn't (though this can be fixed through software).
          How so? Many thanks.

Comment

My understanding is that this can be overcome by installing a European system menu (the proceeding to hack that menu using something like Startpatch to make the menu region-free). Someone else better confirm that first, though!

Comment

Ah OK. Might be more trouble than it's worth. Not going to have a component TV shortly and then relegating my Wii to a 16:10 monitor again.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                Except that it doesn't. It may say so in the manual but when you run the game in 576i and 480i, both images are identical. The flickering on SS, Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower is considerably more than other 60hz games.

This is most noticeable when you press the home button during play, the amount of flickering is horrific and is not native to true 60hz titles. You will only notice it on a CRT though.
                PAL SS and Xenoblade and Pandora are all optimised 50hz and 480p but not 60hz.
                480i and 480p are always 60hz. There is no such standard as 480i/50 or 480p/50.

When you say flickering on a CRT, perhaps you're talking about inter-line twitter? Fine details (beyond the resolving potential of an interlaced TV) will flicker if the game doesn't have some sort of blurring filter built in for interlaced output.

Comment

I mean even if you set the Wii to 480i, the game actually outputs 576i and not 480i. I'm basically saying that Nintendo are lying that the game supports 60hz.

While it could be the lack of blurring filter, I have never seen an unfiltered 60hz game even flicker as much. It is most obvious when you hit the home button.

Comment

Really, the PAL versions of all three of those have no 60hz output mode? That's insane, it feels like we're in the 1990s again!

Comment

I really wish I could either demonstrate it to people or get hold of a US copy of the game to try. I should get my arse to but I am willing to bet big money that they do not output true 480i.

Last Story does however output 60hz but not 50hz. Strange.

Comment

Let’s Sing 2019 is coming to the Wii

Just Dance isn't the only modern game franchise headed to a 12-year-old console. Amid the Gamescom shuffle, THQ Nordic announced that it would be releasing its Europe-focused music title Let's Sing 2019 for the PS4, Switch... and the Wii. This isn't completely shocking when the publisher also made the 2018 game available for Wii, but the system is rapidly running out of time -- the Wii Shop Channel is shutting down in 2019. If this isn't the last Wii version in the franchise, it's pretty close.

Interestingly, there’s no Wii U version....

Comment

Just Dance 2019 has gotta be the last Wii U game right, i cant see Axiom Verge actually coming out.

Do they still do fifa legacy on wii?

Comment

I gave up on Axiom Verge ages ago... although the Wuu has apparently received a recent software update that ‘stabilises system performance’ and most likely blocks current jailbreak methods too.

Comment

Wow. That’s actually impressive.
                              I’m guessing they already designed the engine and everything else and just have to add some up to date music so it makes dollars and sense for them.

Comment

Axion Verge is available here for WiiU, digitally anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X