Speaker impedance means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker impedance means?

I looking at some small speakers, so I can pipe the music from my sb3 to the kitchen and dining room.

Anyone able to tell me what the difference is between these two speakers?

This one (JBL Control ONE) has Power Handling 200 Watts and Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms.

This one (JBL Control 1xtreme) has Power Handling 125 Watts and Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms.

Other than the power and impedance, they seem pretty similar. I can't find anywhere selling both so I can't figure out which is more expensive or why I should choose one over the other. Anyone got any idea? Thanks

You really should match the impedance output of your stereo to the input of the speakers. Lower impedance speakers need more current from the stereo to drive them for the same voltage levels, so you could eventually burn out the stereo if they don't match

Comment

Ah ha. Ta.

So if the amp says: Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 30/80 Watts.... where does that leave me

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

Comment

The first one is probably the better bet, there'll be less distortion at higher volumes, though 200Watts is a bit overkill for a 30Watt output. Rule of thumb says you want your speakers rated at least twice that of your power output.

Comment

I knew I could rely on someone for this. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X