Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QC, you can probably use a custom DNS to stop that happening.

Comment

Also, I just switched to BT, they had an offer of ?10 a month for 38mb fibre for 12 months.
      Line rental was ?169 if you paid up front for the 12 months.
      You get a ?50 Sainsbury's Voucher when you join and a cashback company was offering ?84 when you take out a new contract with BT.

So I'm paying about ?320 for the year which clocks in at about ?26, which is ?10 cheaper than the Sky Package I have now. Virgin isn't available where I am but they are about ?28 for the 50MB package.

If the Cashback and voucher actually turn up then that actually brings the overall cost down to ?15.50 per month, which is even better.

best of all I have replaced the rather simple non-replaceable Sky Hub and Openreach router with the BT Homehub which is a combined unit, does 5ghz and also wireless AC. So I'm super chuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        QC, you can probably use a custom DNS to stop that happening.
        I'm sure there is, but customers should be able to opt out either online (rather than getting a "this service is unavailable" message) or telling someone on the phone that they want out.

Comment

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

A week or so in on the BT connection and it's like I've been living under a rock for the last few years. Blazing (!) 6-7mbs connection all day with pings between 20-60ms.

It's bizarre being able to watch streaming vids/twitch whatever at anytime in the day. The homehub4 is a natty piece of kit too, just wish it was GB on the network ports.

Comment

My brother wants us to get a Virgin 152mbps plus TV package deal, my question is do they shape/throttle traffic so that we cant get superfast speeds all the time? What are they like with bittorrent?

My bloody exchange is still not Fibre ready, flipping East London getting neglected man. Those poofs in Chingford had it years ago

Cheers

Comment

I keep reading Virgin media fibre is crap for gaming due to its latency problems?

The speeds and price seem too good to be true, there must be some catch to their fibre/service?

Comment

I had virgin and it was fine, whilst it cannot physically reach the same level of low latency as other types of connection, the difference is minor.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I've been with Virgin for ages and they're generally excellent but they've been doing a big upgrade to the network in the area over the last couple of months and it has meant my internet is almost unusable in the evenings. I'm fed up and going to switch.

I'm currently on 100mb but everyone else can only offer about 30mb. I work from home making games so I tend to shift around decent size chunks of data between different servers daily and often download stuff from PSN and Steam. Is dropping to 30mb likely to make an appreciable difference? Matey on the phone at Sky was giving it all that about how 100mb is far too much for most people and so on but is that true?

Cheers for any advice!

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                        I've been with Virgin for ages and they're generally excellent but they've been doing a big upgrade to the network in the area over the last couple of months and it has meant my internet is almost unusable in the evenings. I'm fed up and going to switch.

I'm currently on 100mb but everyone else can only offer about 30mb. I work from home making games so I tend to shift around decent size chunks of data between different servers daily and often download stuff from PSN and Steam. Is dropping to 30mb likely to make an appreciable difference? Matey on the phone at Sky was giving it all that about how 100mb is far too much for most people and so on but is that true?

Cheers for any advice!
                        Depends how you receive and transmit your data. Does the device at the other end support you downloading at 100mbps? I've got a 80mbps connection but I never get that unless I torrent, open 20 usenet connections or use Steam. For everything else the bottleneck is at the other end. The speed of my link becomes useful if my daughter, my girlfriend and her daughters are all at home and all watching different Netflix streams, otherwise I'm using about 10% of the capability.

Comment

Yeah, i believe I could pull near 100mbps from our source control server but like you say, everything else is the bottleneck. As long as me and my girlfriend can both stream video on separate machines simultaneously we'll be golden I think.

Comment

Anyone got any recommendations on temporary internet solutions for a 6 month rental property?

We've just got back to the UK a few months ago and just reserved a new build home due to complete in march, that leaves us looking for a short rental but I will need some form of internet for work. Don't want to end up in a sticky contract and the new build appears to have fibre installed by BT openreach?

If I could possibly get a good deal on bandwidth that would be amazing as I buy all my games digitally now, don't care so much about speed as it's temporary.

Also, once in the new build I hear BT openreach are horrendous to deal with but other ISP like Talk Talk and Sky use the same network. Is there a clear winner in that lot? I take it Virgin are out of the running based on the network? We don't really need a land line but sounds like we end up getting one anyway.

Sorry if this all sounds basic, really got a million things to sort out and hard to do any background reading.

Comment

IDNet do monthly contracts. They are good fast and no long tie-in.

Comment

I’m moving home soon and the broadband where I’m going is garbage. It’s a 4 year old house that has no virgin or fibre broadband. The estimated speeds are 2 meg because of the distance to the non fibre enabled box.

Is there another way I could get faster downloads that wouldn’t have limits? I use YouTube, Netflix in 4K at my current address, I fear im going back to the dark ages of standard def!

Comment

Working...
                                X