No announcement yet.

Burnout Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got into this whole Burnout thing with Revenge, had played 1 & 2 minimally but this one blows my mind what have i been missing...must get 3 too i imagine when blitzed with this.

Roll on sequels with more graphics!

Comment

open-world burnout just seems plain wrong.

Comment

I haven't enjoyed the Burnout series since Point of Impact and looking at the new screenshots doesn't make me sit up and take notice because I absolutely detested Burnout 3: where was the soul of Burnout 2?

It seems that the series is now heading for the Need For Speed gameplay structure too. I liked Burnout Legends on the PSP because it balanced the crash and driving/racing elements of the series perfectly so why can't we get something like that instead?

Disappointing news.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
          I haven't enjoyed the Burnout series since Point of Impact and looking at the new screenshots doesn't make me sit up and take notice because I absolutely detested Burnout 3: where was the soul of Burnout 2?

It seems that the series is now heading for the Need For Speed gameplay structure too. I liked Burnout Legends on the PSP because it balanced the crash and driving/racing elements of the series perfectly so why can't we get something like that instead?

Disappointing news.
          The game you seek is Burnout: Dominator, soon for PS2 and PSP

Comment

Disappointing news.
            I quite agree. The less involvement I have with the rest of the Burnout series from now on will help it retain BO2's special place in my pants.

If someone out there would like to do a remake of Point Of Impact, I could promise you I'd buy it. Incentive enough, surely.

Comment

Where are the pics ? nothing is showing on the last page

Comment

Check your settings - they're working fine for me.

Looks quite nice. It'll be interesting to see how the `open world` style is implemented though - right now I'm imagining something like TDU but with lots more carnage.

Comment

Disappointing news.
                  Pardon my ignorance ive ignored the whole series till now, whats special about BO2 compared to newer offerings?

Comment

Burnout 1 & 2 concentrated on fast driving. You dodge traffic, drive in the wrong lane and do powerslides to build up a boost meter. The clincher is that a crash is pretty punishing (especially in the original), so you're on the edge of your seat trying not to crash, yet going progressively faster and doing yet more dangerous stunts. In BO2, the tracks were wider, the graphics were smoother and you could chain boosts together. Actually, you've might've been able to do that in the original, I can't remember. Anyway, it was a very polished and extremely fun game with a pretty unique driving mechanic. It also included Crash mode, where you attempted to cause as much destruction as possible with one crash. I'd still recommend picking it up today.

Burnout 3 started to steer the series in a different direction. Much more emphasis was placed on the damage aspect of it. The core mechanic was to cause your fellow racers to crash. This would ramp your boost up dramatically. IIRC, the boost gained from dangerous driving was toned down, the punishment from crashes lowered a lot, and the courses smoothed out further. It's less of an arcade racer in the grand old tradition, and slightly more of a beat-em up on wheels. It's very slick, with lots of eXtReMe sPoRtS overtones, licensed music (which did away with a great audio feature from BO 1&2) and an incredibly annoying commentator. I found it to be a really fun game, but it is a significant change from its prequels.

I haven't played BO4 properly, but from what I understand, the main change is that it lets you charge through traffic that's flowing the same way as you. This is a huge change, as traffic was always this big flowing river that could either be a lifeblood for your boost or a deadly obstacle, and it's this knife edge balance that defined the series.

It's lost the indie vibe it once had, for better or worse, but it's the loss of the core mechanics that makes people really yearn for BO2.

Comment

I love the complete Burnout series , I've played them all (apart from the PSP), I think they are all great ! it's just they go to a different direction with every part, and I can't wait to get my hands on part 5, I'm very curious what they've came up with this time !

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce View Post
                        I love the complete Burnout series , I've played them all (apart from the PSP), I think they are all great ! it's just they go to a different direction with every part, and I can't wait to get my hands on part 5, I'm very curious what they've came up with this time !
                        I concur with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnakai View Post
                          Burnout 1 & 2 concentrated on fast driving. You dodge traffic, drive in the wrong lane and do powerslides to build up a boost meter. The clincher is that a crash is pretty punishing (especially in the original), so you're on the edge of your seat trying not to crash, yet going progressively faster and doing yet more dangerous stunts. In BO2, the tracks were wider, the graphics were smoother and you could chain boosts together. Actually, you've might've been able to do that in the original, I can't remember. Anyway, it was a very polished and extremely fun game with a pretty unique driving mechanic. It also included Crash mode, where you attempted to cause as much destruction as possible with one crash. I'd still recommend picking it up today.
                          This is exactly why I loved 2 and why I've had no time for any of the games since the word 'takedown' was incorporated into it all. I read the PDF attached to that latest article - I was so excited when it talked about going back to basics, until I realised they meant they were building the engine from the ground up.

Probably the first thing I'll do once I have TP finished on my Wii is throw in BO2 and remind myself once more why I consider it to be the best racing game ever made. Such a shame the first was chosen ahead of the second for the replay feature this month, otherwise I'd have already started.

Comment

Map looks pretty good, aint gonna say much else until I see the actual map in action and how the burnout style gameplay is implemented into this open world, just feels like it wouldnt work when you play other burnouts.
                            If there is a team that can do a good job though its criterion, will be nice to see what they do from the ground up on 360 especially after the Revenge portorama.
                            I got my eye on you....

Comment

I have never not got a Burnout on the day it came out (except DS for natural reasons).
                              Now I do love them all point of impact being the perfect game of the series imoh.
                              If they take out the EA trax style of the game and avoid the NFSU2 style they are creeping towards I may buy it but for me the fact that you can run into the back of cars heading the same way ruins the twich part of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce View Post
                                I agree too - I'm sure the Burnout series would have become rather samey by now if the same formula had been stuck with for all this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X