Hi-res Saturn games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy!
    Yeah.. that amazed me! 720 by something... WOW!

For a standard resolution it looked excellent, but did have a sort of shimmer on my tv, which looked quite cool!
    Yeah that shimmer looked ace , made them look crystal clear .
    I'm not 100% but didn't the Jaguar have a even higher res mode than the Saturn ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
      Am I right in saying the Saturn's high res mode was actually 720x480 (or 720x576 on PAL), therefore making it higher resolution that mode XBox and Cube games, which run at 640x480?
      Gamecube yes, Xbox no.

/me looks lovingly at Line of Contact running in 720p

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
        I'm not 100% but didn't the Jaguar have a even higher res mode than the Saturn ?
        800 x 576. Apparently, it's capable of even more, with fiddling.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
          800 x 576. Apparently, it's capable of even more, with fiddling.
          Thought so
          Was they a game that used the Jag Highest Res mode ?

Comment

I have a feeling that weird CD online space shooter (Battlesphere? I can't be arsed to Google) may have done. Very dodgy memory though of all things Jag.

Comment

It's not really hi-res though is it?? I mean we are only talking about outputting in standard NTSC or PAL resolutions.

But I do agree it had the best video output of any console, really nice and clean.

Comment

It's certainly still impressive today seeing VF2 run in 720x480 60fps and with decent graphics (for the time) to boot.

Comment

Sorry mate but RSG, Street Racer and Silhouette Mirage certainly don't run in High resolution. They may have high rez title screen but the actual games are standard resolution. I'm pretty sure Mass Destruction isn't high rez either. What is Shenruy by the way? Die Hard Arcade uses high rez for the cut scenes only from what I remember.

I have a game by Game Arts that runs in High Rez (Unreleased) it's a card matching game with pictures of Lunar characters in the background.

Yakumo

Winter Heat Never ran In High Res , Only Decathlete.

Sone others to add are ..

Mass Destruction
                  RSG (I'm sure its in High Res)
                  Digital Dance
                  Shenruy
                  Tilt
                  World League Soccer 98
                  Street Racer
                  World Series 98
                  Vatlva
                  Tohshinden URA
                  Silhoutette Mirage .

I'm also sure Die Hard Arcade uses the High Res mode, as the game looks mint with some of the best textures and Graphics I've on a Saturn game.

Comment

Saturn, High Res!?

HOW!?!

ahem... how?

Comment

The Saturn is based on the STV arcade board just like the Dreamcast was based on the Naomi. The STV could run at resolutions higher than anything else atthe time. The Saturn's virtua Fighter 2 runs at a higher resolution than the Model 2 arcade ! Of course the image is toned down to fit on a normal TV but it still looks very sharp !

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
                        Sorry mate but RSG, Street Racer and Silhouette Mirage certainly don't run in High resolution. They may have high rez title screen but the actual games are standard resolution. I'm pretty sure Mass Destruction isn't high rez either. What is Shenruy by the way? Die Hard Arcade uses high rez for the cut scenes only from what I remember.

I have a game by Game Arts that runs in High Rez (Unreleased) it's a card matching game with pictures of Lunar characters in the background.

Yakumo
                        Well I weren't sure about RSG, though in parts it sure looks like it,
                        But for certain Mass Destruction runs inthe Saturn High Res , and Street Racer sure looks like it runing in High Res too.

Speaking of High Res anyone else notice how Panzer Dragoon Saga seems to just up in Res the moment you hit the desert onthe 1st disc , or is that just me again

Shenruy is a miss typed Shienryu btw

Comment

so is it possible to hook it up to a monitor or something and play the Hi-res games?

EDIT: I didnt read properly, please ignore!

Comment

It's just high resolution, not HD or anything! We're talking 720x480 / 720x576 60fps on Saturn when PS1 and N64 games were still running in 320x240!

Comment

yeah, I can be a munkey sometimes...

Funilly enough I was though VF2 looked the biz, But I had no idea that was the reason. You learn something new everyday!

Comment

Well I weren't sure about RSG, though in parts it sure looks like it,
                                But for certain Mass Destruction runs inthe Saturn High Res , and Street Racer sure looks like it runing in High Res too.
                                Yeah, RSG does look like it does a little in some parts but it doesn'r I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure Street Racer doesn't. I'll have to get that out again to check though. Mass Destruction Tank select is high resolution but the actual game is standard.

Speaking of High Res anyone else notice how Panzer Dragoon Saga seems to just up in Res the moment you hit the desert onthe 1st disc , or is that just me again
                                I think that is just you mate

Shenruy is a miss typed Shienryu btw
                                Ah, Shienryu is interlaced, not high resolution. Layer Section is like that as well. Looks high resolution but is infact standard with interlacing. Steller Assault is also interlaced but that gives the option to switch it off and on.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                                X