No announcement yet.

Hi-res Saturn games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, RSG does look like it does a little in some parts but it doesn'r I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure Street Racer doesn't. I'll have to get that out again to check though. Mass Destruction Tank select is high resolution but the actual game is standard
    Just got back in and played Street Racer and you're right , runs in High Res but not the Highest Res. I could have swore that MD run in High Res too (sure I read a interview with NMS), but you only get that Shimmy effect when the game is moving.
    Greatest Nine 98/WSB doesn?t run in the highest Res either just in one of the higher res modes

I think that is just you mate
    Play it again, and the game starts off with basic and very grainy graphics , but takes a jump up when the VDP II is used when you get in the desert , the game seems to go up in Res as a result . I can?t be the only one that notice this (can I)

Ah, Shienryu is interlaced, not high resolution. Layer Section is like that as well. Looks high resolution but is infact standard with interlacing. Steller Assault is also interlaced but that gives the option to switch it off and on.
    You sure on this, Layer Section looks to run in low res and is a bit onthe grainy side . Shienryu looks to run in super High res and that Shimmy effect, is in full effect . Can't comment on Steller Assault as I've had it or seen it running onthe Saturn (only seen and played the 32X version

Comment

The shimmy effect on Shienryu is due to the poor scaling of the screen to fit it on to a normal TV. Play it in Tate mode and that effect will be gone. DoDonpachi suffers from a similar effect.

Ah, my mistake on Layer Section. Only the Title Screen and options run in interlaced mode not the actual game. The funny thing is that the arcade machine is identical. Looks like it was a straight port.

Yakumo

Comment

Yeah man theres a big defference between looking good, and the actual Hires mode i was refering too..........I wouldve thought Decathlete & Winter Heat run on the same GFX engine, could be wrong tho pof couse

Comment

Decathlete is smoother for sure. Its 60fps and Winter heat is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda

Play it again, and the game starts off with basic and very grainy graphics , but takes a jump up when the VDP II is used when you get in the desert , the game seems to go up in Res as a result . I can?t be the only one that notice this (can I)
            I figured I'd jump in here and say the same thing, I always struck me that the game looked better in that section than eariler parts. The later water section had the same effect for me.

Oh, and I'm sure SSM said that Street Racer was 60fps using the Saturn's hi-res mode - it's reviewed in the Jan 96 issue if I can find it

Comment

Originally posted by angrypete
              I figured I'd jump in here and say the same thing, I always struck me that the game looked better in that section than eariler parts. The later water section had the same effect for me.

Oh, and I'm sure SSM said that Street Racer was 60fps using the Saturn's hi-res mode - it's reviewed in the Jan 96 issue if I can find it
              Oh Thank god its not just me, The only thing I can put it down too is the early parts are in full 3D (for the floor), where as the desert and the latter water parts are flat and can use the VDP II so its not so taxing onthe CPU's.
              As for Street Racer for sure its 60 fps and High Res graphics, but playing it the other day it doesn't seem to use the highest Res of the Saturn, you don't get that Shimmy effect when the 720 res is used.

May also say I love the Art Work parts in Sonic Jam and the way the pics and text are displayed in super High Res and you can zoom in to them (super smooth) . Looks ace and the music in those parts is Pie Hot too

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                Yeah man theres a big defference between looking good, and the actual Hires mode i was refering too..........I wouldve thought Decathlete & Winter Heat run on the same GFX engine, could be wrong tho pof couse
                The only parts in High Res inthe Winter Heat are the title screen and Tutorial screens (before an event) . Quite clear in game its using one of the lower Saturn display modes . Not shock really as some of the events used a lot of 3D graphics (so the VDP II coudn't be used) and of course the 4 player mode (with used far more polygons)

Comment

The title screen and menus of Burning Rangers are in hi-res

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                    It's just high resolution, not HD or anything! We're talking 720x480 / 720x576 60fps on Saturn when PS1 and N64 games were still running in 320x240!
                    To be fair the PS1 has it's fair share of "high res" games, as did the N64 so long as u had an Expansion Pak

Comment

I went to Game On recently and they had the Japanese version of VF2 running there. Still looks brilliant to this day and plays like a dream too. Although some guy destroyed my puny Akira with that damn Sarah...

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
                        To be fair the PS1 has it's fair share of "high res" games, as did the N64 so long as u had an Expansion Pak
                        The N64 hi-res games didn't run very well. The Saturn hi-res games all ran brilliantly though!

Go Saturn!!!

Comment

to be honest the only time i really noticed hires with anything was guilty gear x for the dreamcast

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
                            to be honest the only time i really noticed hires with anything was guilty gear x for the dreamcast
                            Yeah.. that game blew me away!

I wish Capcom followed suit. SF4 better be hi-res in every way!

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
                              Yeah but lets face it High Res on the N64 was poor (half the time didn't even look High Res) and there's nothing onthe PS that could match the likes of VF II running in High Res. In fact seeing VF II running in High Res is one of the most impressive things , blew me away the 1st time I saw it . DOA onthe Saturn pisses pver the High Mode onthe PS version.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                                The only parts in High Res inthe Winter Heat are the title screen and Tutorial screens (before an event) . Quite clear in game its using one of the lower Saturn display modes . Not shock really as some of the events used a lot of 3D graphics (so the VDP II coudn't be used) and of course the 4 player mode (with used far more polygons)
                                Agreed Winter Heat = hi res tutorial screen and main menu. I was playing that game with a mate while drunk eariler this week incedently, quite a blast. I also gave athlete kings a go, but I could do that f*cking pole jump no matter how hard I tried lol.

Anyway, I'd guess that that because those two sections of PDS had little detail apart from the dragon (lot's of 2D plain water / sand, with poor draw distance and a few low poly models) that the saturn could cope with it better than fully 3d enviroments like the rest of the game. Could explain the difference in res if it does exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X