No announcement yet.

Hi-res Saturn games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just gotta love that Hi-Res mode, the pixels on my telly never looked so good.

Comment

The title screens of Saturn games are most certainly the sharpest i've ever seen. The white in VO and VF2's screens sometimes even hurt my eyes. Them title screens were extremely beautiful.

Comment

didnt fighting vipers - one of my fav's.

and fighters megamix - fantastic game!

Comment

What is the difference between hi-res and interlaced mode? Any hi-res (>640x240 for NTSC or >640x256 for PAL) HAS to be interlaced in order to be displayed on a regular TV.

Comment

As you say, the video signal being output is Interlaced all of the time.

But on the "low-res" games, both fields are identical. If the deinterlacing circuitry in the TV/projector/video processor detects this, you effectively get 240p. These games are effectively low-res progressive scan.

For "high-res" mode parts, the Saturn knows that the output is interlaced, so both fields are different, and take full advantage of the NTSC resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar View Post
              Gamecube yes, Xbox no.

/me looks lovingly at Line of Contact running in 720p
              Wasn't the Xbox's standard output resolution higher than 480p anyway? I'm sure it outputted a larger than a TV res, resolution to "rid the world of evil nasty borders" or something like that.

Comment

Nope, if it was higher than 480p, it wouldn't display on TVs. But yes, there was no overscan compensation like most consoles.

Comment

Working...
                X