No announcement yet.

Earth Defense Forces 3 - Chikyuu Boueigun 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep it was a massive session on this, worth it owning an asian xbox just for this.

To get the most from the game you really need to play co-op though, also in later levels I think its really gonna throw out some surprises.

Love this game!

Comment

Took this round to a friend's place yesterday. Got up to mission 28 playing co-op for about 3.5 hours. Had an absolute blast.

One of the cave levels was incredible. We got to a corridor leading to an area swarming with ants, stood back and let rip with a barrage of rockets.

When there were no more red dots left on the radar we went down the corridor to find the whole space filled with blood. It was a few minutes before it all dissipated.

Superb game.

Got an Asian 360? Then buy it. Not got an Asian 360? Buy one then buy EDF!

Comment

Totally agree with everyone else here...this is a great game and probably my fav 360 game so far. It's just soooo much fun

I'm only up to level 24 I think - anyone have an idea on the number of levels in total?

Comment

Originally posted by FatGit_UK View Post
          I'm only up to level 24 I think - anyone have an idea on the number of levels in total?
          There are

fifty-three

missions in all.

I know this as I just finished the game (on normal). Will go back through on a higher difficulty setting at some stage. Plus, I must get every weapon.

I thought my eyes were going to bleed on the last level as there was so much going on towards the end.

Cracking game. I've put about 12 hours into it and loved every minute.

Comment

Cheers Paulos

Comment

A proper bitter let-down. Sailing along merrily for 50-something missions (I forget, i'd had a few) then you meet the last boss. Who takes about 5 minutes to knack.

This would have been a perfect SECOND game in the series. The orginal had 25 missions, this has 50 something, and EDF2 had over 70. But instead its a major step down as far as content goes from the dizzy heights of EDF2. The hopefully-impending extra levels and enemies I'd previously alluded to never showed up.

The levels were far more varied in EDF2 (and night missions were included), there were many more bad guys, and the final boss took about 40 minutes to defeat on 2 player co-op.

EDF3 is by far away the best game in the series ... until it ends, with what could only ever by decribed as a 'Mid-Boss' masquarading as the final boss. (yay! Disgaea reference!) They've clearly rushed it out. Once again for next-gen owners, fancier graphics have resulted in content being scaled right back, all for the privilege of having the price doubled.

Where were the new enemies? The giant caterpillar? The armoured ladybirds? The War-of-the-Worlds (Cruise version)-style walkers that came down in meteorites? The mirror UFOs that rebounded your shots? The classic saucers? The 'new' enemies in this game are the old enemies given a facelift.

Too short. Too lightweight.

If you've never played EDF2, you're in for a treat. A good length with loads of baddies and weapons.

If you HAVE played EDF3, prepare to have what was shaping up to be the best game in the series cut 50 levels too short, with almost none of the variety of the second game. No wonder Edge only gave it a 6, after giving EDF2 an 8. A cruel, cruel game.ft:
              Last edited by prinnysquad; 27-01-2007, 10:39. Reason: lol, 53 missions.

Comment

So you were a bit disappointed I take it? You hide it so well. This was my first time in the EDF universe so I didn't have any expectations.

I'm having just as much fun going through on the next difficulty setting though. The way your armour rating increases and you get more powerful weapons is helping to keep it fresh for me. Plus, shooting giant ants, spiders and robots just never gets tiring!

I don't even mind anymore that the achievements aren't stacked (which was a concern before I started the game).

Roll on EDF 4 (which I'll happily accept with giant caterpillars, armoured ladybirds et al).

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                  So you were a bit disappointed I take it? You hide it so well.

You NEED to play EDF2, Paulos. It runs at about 10fps with the worst slowdown ever, but its absolutely superb. If you like EDF3 you'll LOVE EDF2.

Comment

@Prinnysquad: While EDF2 has been the best game I played last year, it wasn't a perfect experience.
                    In fact, many of the points you mentioned, annoyed me a little.

This would have been a perfect SECOND game in the series. The orginal had 25 missions, this has 50 something, and EDF2 had over 70. But instead its a major step down as far as content goes from the dizzy heights of EDF2. The hopefully-impending extra levels and enemies I'd previously alluded to never showed up.

The levels were far more varied in EDF2 (and night missions were included), there were many more bad guys, and the final boss took about 40 minutes to defeat on 2 player co-op.
                    While EDF2 had 70+ levels, many of them were quite similar to each other. The game felt stretched and many levels felt copied & pasted to me.
                    For example the centipide missions have all been nearly identical.
                    The night levels were oftentimes just regular levels you've played before, just with another visual look, and no gameplay alterations.
                    And some of the missions I've found downright annoying. Especially the last one, which is quite a long and drown out affair.
                    And while the framerate has been bad in the first game, EDF2 becomes unplayable in some stages. I'd never thought I'd feel this way, but I think they've gone too far sometimes.
                    All those billions of projectiles are fun to look at, but it isn't fun to play when you're not seeing a thing and when the framerate drops to a near halt and stays at an unbearable rate. They've managed to handle this way better in the first game and pulled the plug before it has gotten out of control.
                    Also while there have been many new enemies, some of them are a real pain in the arse (I hate the mirror ships) and their design doesn't always blend together with the old ones that flawlessly.
                    And while Tale Wing is a blast to play, she adds a little inconsistence to the gameplay, rendering the vehicles useless, when you're playing with two ladies.
                    On the other side there's no point in playing with either two marines or two ladies at the same time, as you're not getting a reward (in form of a medal) for doing so.

So seen as a whole package, I find the first game to be more cohesive and fun throughout, and while not reaching certain glorious heights like some of the best missions in the second game, it also doesn't reach the numerous and annoying low points of the sequel.

But yeah, EDF3 seems a bit like EDF1.5.
                    While I wished that they'd take a step back in some regards (I hoped that Sandlot would try to clear up some of the mess they've created with the second installment, cause I mean, EDF2 is a great mess at times and while this leads to some of its biggest strengths it also causes some flaws) I'd also hoped they would take the second game and perfect it, instead it seems more like they beefed-up EDF1.
                    Last edited by Ryo Saeba; 28-01-2007, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo Saeba View Post
                      I'd also hoped they would take the second game and perfect it, instead it seems more like they beefed-up EDF1.
                      Agree with this conclusion 100%.

Whilst I accept many of your negatives, re, EDF2, I must stress that its the amount of content that I'm annoyed with, rather than any technical issues. EDF3 is technically far superior to EDF2. I didn't notice much slowdown during EDF3 2 player co-op, just loading pauses, and the graphics are superb.

I agree that with some elements of EDF2 it was a case of ambition outstretching capabilities. The slowdown was ridiculous at times, and some levels were replicated.

But I'm still spitting bullets at Sandlot for stripping back so many features. There are definitely less environments in EDF3. And as far as repetition goes, the ant/spider tunnels take the biscuit.

You're right, the night missions were just a riff on the city theme, but they added the variety that EDF3 sorely lacks. It's a cosmetic thing but something that I feel enriched the overall impact of the game.

The intensity and quality of the levels they do have in EDF3 proves to me that they had the technical issues under control, re, framerate. They wanted to maintain the control that the second game lacked. Ok, but why, when they achieved this, did they not take advantage of it? Why strip back on length? Why sacrifice variety? Maybe its my memory/the beer playing bunny fuggers, but I seem to remember thinking at the start of every mission after number 35, 'oh ffs, not these enemies again.'

If the variety of enemies/number of enemies onscreen at once in EDF2 caused so many problems, then fine, cut back on the numbers, or redesign them to make them less complicated, or get a new design altogether. Whatever. Just don't scrap them altogther!!

This is probably why I feel let down. Achieving a level of technical proficiency, Sandlot haven't used their new engine to realise the ambitions of the second game.

Comment

I made a point in my review of the game, that I think is worth quoting in this thread:

"It seems that D3 and/or MS wanted the game out in time for the holiday season, and there simply wasn't enough time to create graphics worthy of the 360, and include Pale Wing from EDF 2 and an equal number of stages, and fix all of that game's various problems. So they gave priority to the graphics, because if you are going to charge 7,140 yen for a next-generation title you damn better make sure it looks good, or else you'll end up with a lot of pissed off customers."

Those people who are new to the series will have a lot of fun, but as prinnysquad says, if you played the previous games you'll be disappointed, when all is said and done.

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                        Roll on EDF 4.
                        Indeed.
                        Last edited by icycalm; 29-01-2007, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by icycalm View Post
                          Those people who are new to the series will have a lot of fun...
                          Very true, this is the first of this series I've played and personally, I think it's great. Yeah, there's not much variety in the type of enemy you fight, but for me, it's just a fun shooter and probably one of the few action games I can play with my six year old daughter without her dieing constantly! I mean, even my nephew completed some of the levels over the weekend and he's only three!

Hopefully this will sell enough copies to ensure EDF4 is released sometime soon as I'm sure that'll be bigger and better.

Comment

my japanese 360 finally arrived today so i jammed this in as the title to christen it

wowzers! there's a lot of big ants and in my book that's a good thing.

i've only played the first two missions but i'm fairly happy with it.

it seems like a good fun game that is simple but that's because it's just content to throw huge amounts of enemies at you

i'll insert a two thumbs up smiley to properly express myself:

Comment

anyone got any tips for mission 34?

it's the one where the big four legged walker is smashing round the city. he starts by dropping ants then flyers then walkers. am i supposed to be killing the big four legged thing or just his minions? i keep getting underneath him and unloading rockets into the bit the minions drop from as i guess that's his weak spot where i can inflict massive damage, but i keep getting killed by all the **** he spawns. who do i have to kill? him or his minions? cheers!

Comment

Thought folk might like to know that the PAL version is due for release this month.

Gameplay have it available for pre-order for the frankly bargainous price of ?19.99.

Comment

Working...
                                X