No announcement yet.

Riding a bike - did you know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right you ***** i'm off out to try this on my mtb... my lovely 6yr old but still in mint condition original y2k specialized p3. if i scratch it, i'm coming for you charlie bear... !

i will post up results!

Comment

How come it only works when turning to the left?

Surely a bike is quite symmetrical and gravity doesn't hold a grudge against the right?

Comment

right, i do not understand...

i pedalled like **** (single geared bike) got up to about 20mph pulled right on the bars and the bike went right... my body still wanted to go straight though. obviously if i wanted to turn right too, i'd need to lean into the corner.

have i broken the laws of physics? 'cos i'm still confused.

Comment

Describe "pulled right on the bars". Did you turn the bars to the right, or push the bars down to the right? Were you using the 1 finger method? I.e. pull the bars straight towards you on one side.

Sorry if you can't get it by the way - it's much easier to notice on a motorbike due to the extra weight.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Describe "pulled right on the bars". Did you turn the bars to the right, or push the bars down to the right? Were you using the 1 finger method? I.e. pull the bars straight towards you on one side.
            as bolded... the bike is pretty light considering the strength of it though, maybe it only works on steeds of pig iron ?

Comment

Right, after alot of googling I think I understand this.

Its not really that you steer in the opposite direction but you push the bars in the opposite direction to stop them going too far. So when turning right you lean right and the handle bars go right but you have to limit how far they go by pushing left.

Correct?

Watched, the video and now I'm confused again.
              Last edited by Ciaran; 15-01-2007, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran View Post
                Correct?
                No, it's all just about tipping the bike into a leaning turn.

Not really anything to do with the actual turning.

Comment

Yeah, that's right. Turning the bars one way makes the rest of the bike tip the other way. You totally don't need to think about it on a bicycle because they are so light you just do it naturally without thinking and your bodyweight can also help. It's just a bit of fun. However, if you ever get a motorbike it's essential to think about it.

Comment

I'm still confused

Comment

same here.

Comment

Me to

Testing will resume in the morning.

Comment

I'm not recommending you do this without a helmet and body armor. But.... Ride along with no hands (I therefore recommend a bike with a SEAT Mr Crisp Trials bike no good.

While riding along, slap the right bar directly forwards along the line of the bike (I'm not talking down towards the ground here. Forwards). You'll fall off the right side of the bike. \o/

This topic is getting dangerous. If you haven't got it by now, just trust me. Or trust the wikipedia article (which by it's very nature could have been completely made up, but it's not. Trust me).

There's a video link halfway down this page that demonstrates it perfectly. Watch it frame by frame (or hammer pause if you don't have slo mo). He steers completely the wrong way to get the bike to tip. Once tipped, he turns right. To tip back upright and indeed over to his left, he then steers right. Mad isn't it!
                          Last edited by charlesr; 15-01-2007, 22:40.

Comment

I actually did not know that.

I'm 22 now and not only have been riding a bike for all my life but when I was 18 I learned to drive a scooter. I've always naturally just used my weight to turn both of them without really thinking about it. Do you know when you're driving a car to a location and you arrive without really rembering what you've done?

Scary. Or maybe I should be concentrating more when driving.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              There's a video link halfway down this page that demonstrates it perfectly. Watch it frame by frame (or hammer pause if you don't have slo mo). He steers completely the wrong way to get the bike to tip. Once tipped, he turns right. To tip back upright and indeed over to his left, he then steers right. Mad isn't it!
                              right, that appears to make more sense... but to me that's just turning the bars one way to set up your weight before turning the way you meant to go meaning you can properly rail corners.

think a swedish flick when driving a car.

topic = letdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                                I'm 22 now and not only have been riding a bike for all my life but when I was 18 I learned to drive a scooter.
                                Do you mean push bike or motorbike? Just curious. Love the bit 'all my life'.

Thanks mate,really made me titter. No offence obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                X