Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All new food thread - recipes, pics and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading that article, I quite fancy getting an Angel Delight, just to remember. I don't think I've had one since I was a kid either.

I want to see what that Sosmix is like too, even though I'm not vegetarian, it might make sense to keep something like that in the store cupboard generally.

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pies though; I think it's cheeky they're even allowed to be called pies.
    Last edited by MartyG; 09-03-2023, 11:49.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      After reading that article, I quite fancy getting an Angel Delight, just to remember. I don't think I've had one since I was a kid either.

I want to see what that Sosmix is like too, even though I'm not vegetarian, it might make sense to keep something like that in the store cupboard generally.

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pies though; I think it's cheeky they're even allowed to be called pies.
      Are those the ones in big round tins, you need a Can opener to open?

Comment

Fray Bentos was lovely, tray of oven chips, and Angel Delight for afters. Propers 80s grub in front of the telly.

Comment

I used to like Angel Delight, mum would have Smash in for convenience.
          Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          Can't beat the classic banana butties though unless we include cheese and onion crisp butties.
          Was telling our daughter about the delights of crisp butties but she wasn't having any or the fact at school we used to smash the crisps up in the packet until they were really small then you could open the packet and just pour them in!

Banana butties are ace, when I'm travelling home from a long distance meeting at work I always have banana butties OR bananas on toast for tea (dinner if you're south of Crewe).

Talking of Smash;

Comment

OMG I remember those Fray Bentos pies now, I shared a flat with a guy that lived off them along with tinned new potatoes and tinned peas. That was his constant diet. The smell in his room!

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
              I used to like Angel Delight, mum would have Smash in for convenience.

Was telling our daughter about the delights of crisp butties but she wasn't having any or the fact at school we used to smash the crisps up in the packet until they were really small then you could open the packet and just pour them in!

Banana butties are ace, when I'm travelling home from a long distance meeting at work I always have banana butties OR bananas on toast for tea (dinner if you're south of Crewe).

Talking of Smash;
              I love confusing people here in Japan by calling the evening meal "tea"
              Yeah, I remember smashing the crisps until they were basically sprinkles. Man,, they were the days. I'm going yo do that donight with the boy and see what he things.

Comment

Was gonna post a photo of the risotto I made last night but it was too tasty and ate it before I had the chance to show how amazing it was. Particularly good batch this time (plenty of cheese, wine and bacon is the key)

Comment

I gave Hello Fresh a go this week, only because I got a 50% off. Can't say I'm very impressed to be honest. The whole thing seems set up to try and upsell you as the base meals are very basic. There's nothing here you could very easily do yourself with a quick supermarket shop. The ingredients aren't bad quality, but all of them came with mince, rather than something more substantial and if you wanted a mix of veg that was an extra.

At 50% off it's just about what I'd be prepared to spend on it, full price no way. I didn't bother with the recipe cards as there were not enough ingredients to make them required, which was just as well as they sent eight of them and only one was the correct thing.

If you really can't be bothered to shop for ingredients and want everything set out for you, maybe the convenience is worth it - reckon you're better off just doing an online shop though.

Comment

The only thing i have been cooking at moment is japanese curry, since i got a proper rice cooker my rice consumption has gone waaaaay up. The cupboard is full of curry blocks & i always have the 3 main veg on hand to make a basic veg curry although i do like to play around with the combinations like adding sweet potatoes and other thing some veg work better than others. It's gotten to the point that i doubt any japanese restaurants in leeds could provide me with something i can't make better at home although to be fair curry isn't that hard to make at all.

Comment

I got the second box of Hello Fresh (even though I didn't actually get sent a tracking number) so wasn't sure if it was going to turn up at all.

The Thai Noodles turned out to be pretty good, certainly the best meal they've provided so far. I do have two "free box" codes that allow you to get the three-meal box for just the cost of the postage (you still have to provide payment details and sign up and then cancel after it gets sent, you can do all that via the website), but if anyone is interested, PM me.

I definitely wouldn't be paying full price for this service, but I've got two more discounted weeks, so will cancel after those. I'm not impressed enough to want to pay the full price and think you can easily buy this stuff for yourself in your normal shop and probably for less cost.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        The only thing i have been cooking at moment is japanese curry,
                        Lovely, we love Japanese curry. Better the day after reheated.

Anyway, I'm positive you are aware but Hokkaido Stew is basically the same but with white blocks and is a great winter warming dish.
                        We eat it like a soup and have bread with it.

Comment

Angel Delight is still a fixture in this house, at Christmas. Butterscotch flavour FTW!!!

Comment

Chicken Katsu curry is probably my favourite meal of all time (maybe split between steak and chips ) ; I must admit I've found a great recipe and have adapted it to my own taste and it has a wonderful depth of flavour and spice. for me it's just as easy to make it than use a curry block.

Mmm makes me want to make some tonight but I had schnittie already this week

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                              Lovely, we love Japanese curry. Better the day after reheated.

Anyway, I'm positive you are aware but Hokkaido Stew is basically the same but with white blocks and is a great winter warming dish.
                              We eat it like a soup and have bread with it.
                              I've never heard of this but it sounds great. I'm going to get some blocks and give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X