No announcement yet.

"Arcade Perfect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although not Arcade Perfect I remember some great ports relative to the power of the machine on the Speccy and C64 and Zzap etc making great claims.

The first game I remember that warranted the term though was SFII on SNES.

The term certainly brings back warm memories.
    Last edited by B1gBeard; 15-03-2007, 15:18.

Comment

Originally posted by babs View Post
      Anyone of a similar age to me will know those two words all too well. They signified something so wonderful, so beautiful, the emotion can't be put into words. Whether it was a review claiming that a home port had reached that pinnacle of home conversion idealism, or a slack-jawed friend in total shock proclaiming the game they just played was "ar-cade-per-fect" - it's a phrase which held an awful lot of power.

So to those of you old enough to remember the quest for coin-op-at-home perfection, what were the first games you remember to be "arcade perfect"? Looking back now it may not be true, but which memories do it for you? What do the words mean to you?

I can't remember exactly which ones it was for me, but I remember being very impressed with Wonderboy on the SMS, and ashamedly at Street Fighter 2 on the SNES (japanese import running on PAL console) - oh how our standards have changed!
      I tried to convince myself that the C64 conversion of Powerdrift was Arcade Perfect, but looking back i was only fooling myself. Similarly, I recall Zzzap 64 giving the Afterburner conversion a glowing review and poclaiming it to b near arcade perfect. In reality it was a splodgy sprite based mess.

Comment

r-type for the spectrum impressed me even though its not arcade perfect

Comment

It wasn't Zzap! that gave Afterburner a good review - they slated it.
          The emap mags regularly used to over-rate conversions -Space Harrier, PaperBoy and Narc spring immediately to mind.

There was an Afterburner 'clone' by Elite that Zzap! favoured.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratso View Post
            It wasn't Zzap! that gave Afterburner a good review - they slated it.
            The emap mags regularly used to over-rate conversions -Space Harrier, PaperBoy and Narc spring immediately to mind.

There was an Afterburner 'clone' by Elite that Zzap! favoured.
            You sure? I remember one magazine gave that pile of turd a great review and I usually only used to buy Zzap64.

Comment

I think Bubble Bobble for the C64 was proclaimed "practically identical to the arcade" and I remember that Ghosts and Goblins on the C64 was supposed to be pretty much all there. I remember it was completely rock!

Rainbow Islands and New Zealand Story for the Amiga were proclaimed arcade perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                You sure? I remember one magazine gave that pile of turd a great review and I usually only used to buy Zzap64.
                I'm pretty darn sure, but I will double check. Of course there were two versions of AB, one UK and one US, perhaps the US version was better received or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratso View Post
                  I'm pretty darn sure, but I will double check. Of course there were two versions of AB, one UK and one US, perhaps the US version was better received or something.
                  You may be right. I do have vague recollections about another C64 mag being around at the time and I may have bought that because it was the first to have the Afterburner review.

Ironically enough, I'd have bought it anyway just to be able to play Afterburner at home, irrespective of it's likeness to it's mighty arcade counterpart.

Comment

Remember the CVG review of SF Zero/Alpha on the Psx and Saturn, they claimed the first truly arcade perfect home port of a Street Fighter title, perhaps they didn't notice the load times
                    That said I remember picking the U.S version up just before the review came out and sat in front of the box for days playing it!

Remember playing Golden Axe as well in Dixons on the MD thought that was pretty arcade perfect, until re-played the arcade through and saw the difference, but hey it had an extra level or two.

and ashamedly at Street Fighter 2 on the SNES (japanese import running on PAL console) - oh how our standards have changed!
                    Me too, I had never seen such 'perfection', I invited all my school chums round for some Street Fighting shenanigans
                    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 15-03-2007, 18:27.
                    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      I saw straight through all of those myself
                      of course you could see a pidgeon **** at 1000metres.

Comment

For me, 'Arcade perfect' means just four words.

'Feet behind the grass'.

I'm sure a couple of you will get this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                          Zzap review is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfamifreak View Post
                            For me, 'Arcade perfect' means just four words.

'Feet behind the grass'.

I'm sure a couple of you will get this!!!
                            The ghouls and ghosts arcade standard! I don't think any port has ever correctly done that, not even the ps1/sat ones.

Comment

I remember really well that Virtua Fighter 2 was claimed to be "Arcade Perfect" at the time of release.

Whether or not it was however is a semantics argument. On the most pure level, it technically wasn't - the arcade version had light sourcing and 3D backgrounds.

In terms of playability though, with an arcade stick it was as identical as you could possibly expect it to be.

Does Arcade Perfect merely only describe an absolute visual mimicry? Or does it go deeper?

Comment

i always hated it when people nit picked about the smallest differences
                                between home and arcade versions especially with neo geo conversions

Comment

Working...
                                X