Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AV Buffs - Talk To Me

Gon get myself a nice new sound system - This has really caught my eye :

Just put in more travel expenses and it'll more than cover it - Anybody care to comment ? Looks very nice dunno if I'm missing something ?

Anything as good/better for the same money ?

Depends what you want it for and what you're prepared to spend.

Not going down the seperates route? Get yourself down to Richersounds and try some stuff out

Comment

Someone said that before actually (about Richer) - They've got a store in Glasgow might just do that.

Andrewfee was selling one as well - I'd have been at his door with the cash tonight but looks like it's gone

Comment

They used to have a guarantee they'd be able to show you separates of the same value to the all-in-one you're looking at, but with a better sound. I Imagine they'll still try to do the same.

Take some CDs you know well with you to hear.

Comment

true that, any sound system with USB is a no-no (imo)

get yourself a nice cambridge audio amp and cd player

woo!

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax View Post
            Andrewfee was selling one as well - I'd have been at his door with the cash tonight but looks like it's gone
            Money for it cleared this morning unfortunately, sorry to disappoint.

Must say that JVC looks to be style over substance. That sub seems ridiculously underpowered. (just from looking at it)

Play.com seem to be selling Pioneer's latest kit at a very low price now, which seems like a good deal: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...-/Product.html

Personally, I'd prefer a separate amp rather than having it built into the sub, but this way saves a fair bit of space.
            Last edited by andrewfee; 31-05-2007, 10:43.

Comment

yep I would always go the seperates way dude.

Comment

*hugs his quad 99 series setup*

Comment

Separates! Also means when it comes to upgrade, you can upgrade individual pieces, or say go from 5.1 to 7.1 easily.

Plus decent quality separates will probably last you a lifetime anyway. My speakers are four years old, and I have no intention on replacing them.

Comment

true that, my speakers are now 26yrs old

Comment

Originally posted by andrewfee View Post
                      Play.com seem to be selling Pioneer's latest kit at a very low price now, which seems like a good deal: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...-/Product.html

Personally, I'd prefer a separate amp rather than having it built into the sub, but this way saves a fair bit of space.
                      In the market for a new set myself as I've just discovered the majority of hi-def titles only have DTS tracks so my old system won't pick it up. I see the system you linked to is purported to be only for the Xbox 360, now I am right in thinking that that's a load of bollocks. Surely it'll take inputs from anything, or am I missing the point here?

Comment

It has 2x Optical Inputs, a Coax one, and an analogue input, which is about right for something around that price. The Xbox 360 thing is just marketing.

You have to spend a lot more to get something that will decode the HD audio formats though - for a start, you need something that will decode audio over HDMI - anything under around £500 is likely just a pass-through for video switching.

It does Pro Logic, Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital and DTS, so it does all of the "standard" surround formats.

EDIT: Separates are a great choice, but you'll probably end up spending a fair bit more. A lot easier to upgrade things with them though.
                        Last edited by andrewfee; 31-05-2007, 11:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ph0rce View Post
                          In the market for a new set myself as I've just discovered the majority of hi-def titles only have DTS tracks so my old system won't pick it up. I see the system you linked to is purported to be only for the Xbox 360, now I am right in thinking that that's a load of bollocks. Surely it'll take inputs from anything, or am I missing the point here?
                          My prediciment is exactly the same, old set won't pick up DTS, and I need a new set too.

Comment

I was under the impression that if you put HD audio through a lesser system then it would just output it as 5.1 instead of 7.1. Is this not the case as I was really hoping I could replace my existing system with a reasonably priced one instead of going all the way & getting a top end system?

Comment

I think I need to pay a visit to Richer Sounds.......

Comment

Working...
                              X