"But can it do GT3?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch996 View Post
    If the DC could handle GT3, why were there no racing games that even come close to matching it? You could argue that the dreamcast didn't have time to be pushed, but GT3 was only released a year after the PS2 launch and it's been pushed much further since.

Not trying to knock the DC, but I don't see any evidence that it could do it. Sega GT looks pap compared the GT3 nevermind GT4.
    Yeah true, good point.

Comment

If the DC could handle GT3, why were there no racing games that even come close to matching it?Not trying to knock the DC, but I don't see any evidence that it could do it.
      Le Mans 24. Glowing brake discs years before forza, rain, drizzle, storm, night, dusk, day, shredded grass tracks, TWENTY FOUR cars racing at once (yes that's FOUR TIMES the amount of cars as in GT3), the most amazing condensation vortex trails at high speeds, trees, spectators, sponsorship logos, and support vehicles, beautiful tracks.

Yes, perhaps the cars weren't as massively detailed when you watched the replays, but when you were racing, it barely noticed. I reckon if they had gone for 6 cars instead, then it could have looked even better.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dammit. I need to play it now. Will have to load it up this evening. I've still got a 6 hour race that I'm half way through.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Le Mans 24. Glowing brake discs years before forza, rain, drizzle, storm, night, dusk, day, shredded grass tracks, TWENTY FOUR cars racing at once (yes that's FOUR TIMES the amount of cars as in GT3), the most amazing condensation vortex trails at high speeds, trees, spectators, sponsorship logos, and support vehicles, beautiful tracks.

Yes, perhaps the cars weren't as massively detailed when you watched the replays, but when you were racing, it barely noticed. I reckon if they had gone for 6 cars instead, then it could have looked even better.
          It's funny you should mention Le Mans. I was playing that game thoroughly for about a month before playing my mates demo of GT3 and my jaw hit the floor. It's a great looker make no mistake, but for me it doesn't compare to GT3. Are you sure it's 24 cars at once? surely there are only about 6-8 on sceen at one time? I don't remember tbh. You've got me wanting to play Le Mans now! It was a great game.

Comment

Absolutely sure. There's 24 on the grid at the start and you can see them all.

Infogrames - same people who did the equally ace Grand Prix Challenge on the PS2.

Comment

well soul calibur looked amazing......still thought that the sequels were not big leap at all

and that was still quite a early dreamcast game

Comment

That's the thing - had the Dreamcast not died so early, we would have undoubtedly seen it pushed to new limits.

Comment

...and we would of finished off Lan Di once and for all!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    Absolutely sure. There's 24 on the grid at the start and you can see them all.
                    Ok thats fair enough, but one look at these screens shows a world of difference in the graphics, and GT3 runs at 60 fps too. tbh I think it would be better to compare F355 and GT3 since they have a similar amount of cars on screen.

I'm going to pick up Le mans again though, it's been too long since i've played it. Did it get a good PAL conversion on the Dreamcast? I would buy it on the PS2 but i've heard bad things about it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Le Mans may have looked great, but I felt it played poorly, the handling was just strange. It also had a very uninspiring circuit selection and most of those it did have were modelled incorrectly (compare Suzuka in F355 and Le Mans to see what I mean).

The racing games I was looking forward to after F355 on the DC were Colin Mcrae 2 and Grand Prix 4 and both got shelved.

Comment

Did it get a good PAL conversion on the Dreamcast? I would buy it on the PS2 but i've heard bad things about it.
                        Something went badly wrong with the PS2 version. And yes PAL is the one I have now.

Comment

Seeing as no X-Box game featured better car models than GT3 (never mind 4) I think the DC could never handle the game , hell Forza II on the 360 can’t handle Heat haze

That said I seen nothing on the PS2 that can compare to Virtual On II when it comes to textures. The game still looks incredible and no matter what happens a rock solid 60fps. For me its the most impressive DC game I own

Comment

The best texturing I saw on the PS2 was featured in Silent Hill 3. Just gorgeous.

Comment

I'd agree with that. The moving/morphing textures in particular were amazing but even the plain old concrete was impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept View Post
                                The best texturing I saw on the PS2 was featured in Silent Hill 3. Just gorgeous.
                                Oh Good call, that game features some of the best character models this side of Shenmue as well. In fact I'm still amazed at how well the face demo's in Shenmue hold up even today . Rayman and Sonic onthe DC had some bloody awesome textures too

Comment

Working...
                                X