Clear All

"But can it do GT3?"

So, can the PS3 do GT3?

And was the Dreamcast capable of it?

You lost it?

Comment

Oh Charles what have you done?

Comment

eh? I was playing GT4 on mine today.... ?

Comment

Yes and yes but, honestly, who wants it?

The series peaked with GT Mobile on the Phantom.

Comment

Actually, if you have a PAL PS3, it probably can't do GT3.

Comment

okay, what's yers talkin' about Willis?

Comment

In-jokes ftl!

Comment

aaaah. Love a good in-joke.

Comment

There was this huge arguement about whether the Dreamcast could do GT3. For ages after that, any time anything was mentioned to do with how powerful a console or PC was, someone chirped up "but could it do GT3?"

The wink after "can the PS3 do GT3?" above was because of backwards compatability issues.

I reckon the DC could have done GT3 but with some loss of texture quality cos of the memory constraints. However, it could do Le Mans 24 with 20 cars on screen at once, and that was more fun anyway.

Apologies to people I confused. Ciaran particularly.

Comment

Oh yeah! I remember this GT 3 debate with friends and on other forum (don't worry I live here now )

What amazed me about GT 3 was the level with the wet road, it looked stunning, and still does! But unfortunately it was only developed for that one track; it wasn't as if you could just turn it on and off on other tracks. Also the PS2 was new hardware and they were already getting good looking racers (at the time) to run at 60 fps (they were the days).

I think the Dreamcast could have done it with a push, we never saw the FULL potential of the Dreamcast because it didn?t have a look in by the time the PS2 was out.

Comment

Can the PS2 do Shenmue?

Comment

but can the ps3 do tetris ?

Comment

The Dreamcast is a brillant machine and very capable. That's why so many 1st generation games on the PS2 looked terrible compared to all of the Dreamcast stuff.

However no type of nostalgia will cover the fact that Developers got to grips with the PS2 hardware and Collosous, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2 and SOS prove that.

However there is a little voice inside of me that thinks no game has compared to the art design of Sonic Adventure and Shenmue. Lost Valley and Dobuita?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              There was this huge arguement about whether the Dreamcast could do GT3. For ages after that, any time anything was mentioned to do with how powerful a console or PC was, someone chirped up "but could it do GT3?"

The wink after "can the PS3 do GT3?" above was because of backwards compatability issues.

I reckon the DC could have done GT3 but with some loss of texture quality cos of the memory constraints. However, it could do Le Mans 24 with 20 cars on screen at once, and that was more fun anyway.

Apologies to people I confused. Ciaran particularly.
                              The Dreamcast had greater texture memory and utilised hardware level compression of textures, so I doubt you'd have lost texture quality. I think that with the right developers (Melbourne House?) it could have done it and probably in VGA too.

Comment

Working...
                              X