No announcement yet.

Japanese Language Proficiency Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they introducing a new Pre-Level 1 test as well, which will also be twice yearly with Level 1(?). If it was available I would probably have a go at that in the Summer (no chance at Level 1) but I believe outside of Japan will still only be once a year, so guess I will have to wait until next December.

Edit: Just had a look and found this info on Wikipedia.. it's not a Pre-Level 1 but a new level between the current Level 2 and 3 which is no use to me Level 1 is apparently getting harder!

Revised test

A new and revised test pattern, originally scheduled to be implemented from December 2009, has been postponed until 2010. The revised test will consist of five levels: N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5, with N1 being the highest level and N5 the easiest.

* N1: generally the same as the original level 1; however, slightly more advanced
    * N2: the same as the original level 2
    * N3: in between the original level 2 and level 3
    * N4: the same as the original level 3
    * N5: the same as the original level 4

In addition, the tests will be offered twice a year in Japan, China, Korea, and Taiwan: July and December. This will be effected in 2009. The July test will be offered for levels 1 and 2 only (or N1 and N2 from December 2010).

The revised test shall continue to test the same categories as the original. It shall not test oral or writing skills.
    Last edited by r3z; 08-12-2008, 15:17.

Comment

Well, I failed level 1.

Writing/Vocab 41/100
      Listening 67/100
      Reading/Grammar 76/200

Overall 184/400

Not bad for a first attempt though. I just wish they would use more kanji on the paper, it IS meant to be a test of our Japanese after all.

Comment

Level 2 for me!!!!!

Comment

I heard about the change and thought I would have a go at level 2 just to see what it's like. I think they should somehow implement an oral test somehow though. That would be good.

Comment

Can you imagine that? It would be insane. But they really should, along with actually WRITING kanji, not just picking the right one. Multiple choice tests really aren't a good indication of actual skill.

Looking at my scores for level 2 in 2007 (64:67:114) at least I'm fairly consistant.

Comment

Insane yes, but as you say would give a better indication of actual ability. Saying that, my speaking and listening is very good, but I'd probably fail the kanji section..

Comment

Sorry for the stupid question but what`s the best way to sign up? Can I go into Yurindo or Kinokuniya and get a form or can it be done online?

Thanks in advance

Comment

You have to get an application pack from whichever shops are selling them. The same shops don't always sell them unfortunately.
                  Check the main website for details of which shops are.

Use the first drop down box to select prefecture.

Comment

Cheers thank you ever so much. Asked at Yurindo too assistant said I was too early for December test or something, and something about March tests not sure if it`s two tests a year or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X