Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post

For kicking action, if you're a fan of Hwang Jang Lee I'd say get some more John Liu action, namely Death Duel Of Kung Fu.
    Just turned up on the doormat this morning...
    Liu was excellent in Invincible Armour.

I have to admit that until fairly recently I thought the Shaw Brothers were like the Wachowski Brothers, or the Farrelly Brothers - a filmmaking duo. Then I read that it was a studio with contracted stars, a bit like Hal Roach Studios or Mack Sennett Studios in the 20s and 30s Eeyore.

I shall investigate your suggestions, sir.

Comment

Shaws have a legion of dedicated fans. I avoided their films for a long time because I saw some dud ones but My Young Auntie changed all that. For Shaws I would say start with the Lau Kar Leung and Venoms films, and you can't go wrong with the Brave Archer series, it's epic.

Knockabout I can't recommend enough. Death Duel Of kung Fu is great, it's better than Secret Rivals, the film it takes it's format from. Oh yeah as a Hwang Jang Lee and John Liu fan get Secret Rivals 1 and 2 you wont regret it.

Comment

I may have to get the cheapy region 1 copy of Knockabout, the region 2 version is going at 30-40 quid! I'm not that bothered about the special features as long as it's a good print.

EDit: gahhhhhh amazon seems to think that there's no english dub or subtitles on the dvd I'm looking at.
        Last edited by prinnysquad; 25-07-2009, 18:11.

Comment

Isn't the HKL one on sale anymore?

Comment

Yep, but that's the expensive one! Since HKL went tits up half their catalogue has skyrocketed.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
              Ninja Assassin Looks pretty cool
              It's like the 80s all over again as there's another one coming out, this time it's just called Ninja and stars Scott Adkins (Bourne Ultimatum, Wolverine Origins, Undisputed 2 & 3, The Tournament, Holby City!)

I finally finished Ip Man last night and absolutely loved it. Some brilliant Sammo Hung-choreographed fight scenes. Apparently Sammo's going to be in the sequel as a Hung Gar master who takes exception to Ip Man's "girly" Wing Chun style...

There's a Sammo Book just come out, but it's a bit steep at ?16.99!

Comment

This is an interesting site about Bruce Lee clones, often good martial artists in their own right. Also, some guy named Carl on the kung fu cinema forums is bringing out a book on Bruceploitation shortly, reviewing films by Bruce Li and others, looking at the whole sub genre. Can't find the title though will have to ask.

Got Born Invincible, Ninja Supremo and Desendents of Wing Chun through the post today.

Comment

Ninja Vs Mafia.

Comment

Is that the Alexander Lou film? Any good?

Comment

Saw Ninja Vs Mafia years ago, it was ok I suppose, wasn't that impressed by it. Ninja The Final Duel is one to definitely avoid. I'd say the best Lo Rei and Robert Tai films are Shaolin V Lama and Wu Tang V Ninja aka Ninja Hunter.

Comment

I saw Drunken Master 2 last night and loooved it!

It's a bit tricky to get hold of, but there's no real reason why I've waited so long to see such a classic.

I think I prefer Police Story, Armour of God and Project A, but this is right up there with Jackie's best works.

The fight sequences in the tea house and steel mill are masterpieces of kung-fu choreography.

There, I said it!

Comment

Watched Hell's Windstaff tonight, a Hwang Jang Lee masterclass of shapes, stickfighing and kicking. F'ing brilliant, this film has tons of high quality, well choreographed fights, memorable moves, and amusing scenes. 9/10 easily.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            Watched Hell's Windstaff tonight, a Hwang Jang Lee masterclass of shapes, stickfighing and kicking. F'ing brilliant, this film has tons of high quality, well choreographed fights, memorable moves, and amusing scenes. 9/10 easily.
                            YEAH MAN!!! This is one of my favs too. Some wicked stick fighting in that film

The last film I watched was IP MAN. Loved it, the fighting was brutal and straight to the point. I enjoyed the story and it adds to the film that it is based on a true one. It has an old skool feel with morden 'impactful' choreography.

9/10

Comment

Drunken Master.

You forget how bloody good Jackie Chan is - so athletic. The choreography in this film is astounding and the HKL dub very amusing, full of straight faced cusses.

Lots of great characters and a solid pace make this a genre classic.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                                Drunken Master.

You forget how bloody good Jackie Chan is - so athletic. The choreography in this film is astounding and the HKL dub very amusing, full of straight faced cusses.

Lots of great characters and a solid pace make this a genre classic.
                                I dunno how good the HKL dub is but there is no way they can top the original dub. I think there are no dvd releases of the original Drunken Master or Snake In The Eagles Shadow dubs unless it's a bootleg.

One good way of hearing the classic dubs is by picking up the original Made In Hong Kong VHS releases.

Still, a great film and if I can track my old tape down I might watch this asap.

Comment

Working...
                                X