No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw kung fu panda 2 this week, does it count for this thread ?

Comment

Does it contain kung fu?

If so, yes!

We need a full description of all styles.

Comment

It contained much kung fu and was quite entertaining and stuck to the tried and tested formula of impossible task, initial failure, training, path to enlightenment then retribution

I believe it heavily featured fat animated panda style with a bit of tiger hardcore and some snake fu for good measure

Comment

Shapes goodness, sounds ace!

Presuming it's a family film, I guess he wasn't taught by a drunken master?

Comment

No drunken master, the spirit of his deceased turtle master and some small irritated racoon thing.

Plus tiger hardcore style may disappoint you bearing in mind its a family film

Comment

Isn't Devil Killer Toby Russell's favourite film? I think he loves Robert Tai, though.

Comment

Dunno! Weird choice if true. It was watchable and admirable in many ways, but a mess in others.

Comment

I've had a fullscreen version for years but never watched it. Some LoRei/Tai stuff is more appealing than others for me, I suppose.

Comment

Received Yellow Rain yesterday, btw. It's an old Ocean Shores rip.

Comment

I finally saw Pedicab Driver with Sammo yesterday!

Yeah, it was really good. There was a lot more comedy, hi-jinks and romantic montages than I expected, but they actually helped build empathy for the characters when the tone really shifts towards the end of the film.

Sammo's probably only in three main fight scenes, but he does his usual magic.

There's a few rough edits if I'm being *really* picky, but just shows how much Sammo perfected the art of fight choreography in later films.

Comment

If you start going on about edits too much mind, QC, I'll have to get you, and skank you.

Comment

QC, by later films do you mean after Pedicab Driver? I think most of his output up to the early 90s was amazing, going as far back as the tail end of the 70s and then all his work with Biao, Jackie, and stuff like Eastern Condors, etc.

Even in films with not much action like Where's Officer Tuba (Hwang Jang Li in a modern appearance, prinny) you see flashes of brilliance. The last fight in Paper Marriage is great, too. I'm rambling now.

About the Yellow Rain- that sounds good, anything with Dick Wei is worth a watch. Funnily enough he has a small part in Pedicab Driver.

Comment

Shaolin Drunk Fighter (1983)

A rich guy and his uncle flee from the henchmen of a rogue general who has forged the Emperor's orders to take out his own rivals. The fella enters a monastery to learning self defence and drunken staff fighting. Meanwhile, a Japanese samurai wanders the land challenging other fighters. Their paths cross for the climax.

A South Korean low-brow indie, this is ok, and a decent watch for a certain mood. There's a decent level of weapons work going on, featuring staffs, spears, swords and a rope-knife. There's hired ninjas and some solid punch and block work. The settings are standard, yet the final fight in a river quarry is rather nice to see, it's different to the usual open fields. Nothing special, but truthfully, I expected a whole lot less. There's some iffy editing going on - a subplot is left hanging, and the dubbing sometimes cuts mid sentence - but this was a bit of a guilty pleasure all told. Plenty of fighting - average fighting, but fighting nevertheless!

ps- shinobi - your PM box is full. And, I meant 3.5GB-4GB for those rips. I was tired!

Comment

Just to update those Cine Asia re-releases of Hong Kong Legend films, looks like there's quite a few coming out, but I've no ideas if they're new commentaries or anything like that:

27 June 2011 - 10 July 2011

The Prodigal Son: Special Collectors Edition
                              Warrior King: Ultimate Edition (2 Discs)

25 July 2011 - 07 August 2011
                              Police Story
                              Police Story 2
                              New Police Story (2 Discs)
                              Naked Killer

22 August 2011 - 04 September 2011
                              Dragons Forever
                              Dragon Lord
                              Heart Of The Dragon

19 September 2011 - 02 October 2011
                              Iron Monkey (2 Discs)

I'll also look out for:
                              13 Assassins
                              Shaolin
                              The Lost Bladesman
                              Gallants
                              Knockout

Comment

I wouldn't mind picking Heart of Dragon up out of that bunch, but it's a shame they're starting with the titles that have loads of releases already, I might even get the recent HK version of Heart of Dragon instead. I know the HKL had the full deleted scenes, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X