Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the Deus Ex and Thief (Hitman as well) games float your boat then Dishonored is a must play too as it is right out of the same gameplay book: multi-route, multi-choice stealth. You get enhancements both technological and 'magic' by finding key items, upgrades, talking to the right people and doing side missions they often offer. So you can, to some extent, customise your character towards the gameplay style you prefer.

The combat, if you go down that route is not brilliant TBH (block/counter attack and/or shoot) but it can be quite visceral - you can cut up your opponents very gorily if you like. But if you do take the 'high chaos' route that and other decisions you make do have consequence at the very least for the story and its outcome.

For instance, no spoilers, in the mission I referred to I dealt with one character in a particular way and two NPCs who you interact with in the level both comment on/question your choice of action. I also think that because I balked, on what can only be called moral grounds, doing something one of them wanted me to do that inaction resulted in what may well be bad consequences for them.

When your actions have and are seen to have palpable consequence then that is what I'd describe as high concept game story telling and one of the things that raises Dishonored well above the norm.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 06-08-2019, 12:58. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm still full of regret for killing the terrorists on the opening Statue of Liberty level of Deus Ex and being chided by the armourer.

Comment

I swear I have Dishonoured on one of the free game schemes. On 360, maybe?

Comment

It was a 'Games with Gold' for the Xbox 360 five years ago.

I'm also eyeing Gradius Collection to play on my PS Vita but it was never discounted on the UK PSN Store.

Comment

One quick game of PES. I told the missus I needed a ****e, dashed upstairs and had a swift round of Man United vs Palmtrees, then waddled back down after a ‘tough one that took a good ten minutes to cope with.’

I REALLY don’t like the way even vaguely physical play is punished. Even muscling someone off the the ball gets blown for. It’s pathetic.

Why the sudden stealth? Because I got NAILED this morning for ‘missing my son’s upbringing’ or some glib emotionally-blackmailing nonsense. I dared to get up at 7.30 to go on Minecraft until 10am. As such, when she working on the laptop at lunchtime, and I was tasked with looking after daft lad, I got rounded on for suggesting I take him upstairs. ‘So you can play on that bloody thing? There’s a little soul there crying out for attention and blah blah blah.’

Shame because pebble and I created a 7x7 glass shaft from the bedrock to the sky. It looks great.

Comment

Trials Fusion

I often lament the lack of quick-blast games in my collection, only to find myself sinking hours into exactly that type of game.

It's so wicked. And I love how the rider shouts things like YEAHHHHH when doing a cool stunt.

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              One quick game of PES. I told the missus I needed a ****e, dashed upstairs and had a swift round of Man United vs Palmtrees, then waddled back down after a ‘tough one that took a good ten minutes to cope with.’
              The gamer-father's danger wank.

Comment

I've been whistle stop touring Call of Duty mp's from the recent games for the most part in the last few days and it's been interesting:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Straight away, players jumping about the place like morons. It still strikes me how sterile the experience is so was fine to uninstall it.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
                People have certainly moved on faster than they did with BO2, it was a strain to get a game of TDM going and even then it peaked with 8 out of 12 players in the count. Still better than CoD: AW but I still don't miss the wall running, double jumping nonsense.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
                Still - still - pretty much up there in the best ones they've done. The franchise has been so deeply lost in its own BS for so long having lost sight of why this entry was so popular.

Call of Duty: WWII
                The main one I'm playing matches on as booting this up I was wary but it's actually been a pleasant experience to go back to. There's little of that stupid bunny hopping, it looks cleaner than other entries and runs smooth and a lot of the excesses being gone helps things too. Stripped back definitely works best for the franchise so hopefully MW4 hits the mark

Comment

I finished BloodStained RotN last night but not 'finished' finished as I think I got the 'bad' ending (after beating the last boss it went to game over). I'm never a fan of this set up ... the last boss should be gated off 'til the proper end. But saying that, I know there's still a lot of castle to explore (finished it at just over 50% explored) so it's there's still gameplay to be had, and it's a great game overall. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Comment

Went to play Ryse last night after getting those free level-up points, only to find my Live sub has just ended about 4 days ago.
                    Couldn't see it on my list of games, either, so I obviously didn't get the 360 game at the time.

Basically, without live, it's turned my One into a 360 emulator, only playing games that were on Games With Gold at some point and I was subbed and remembered to get them/the awkward website let me.

Then sat at a screen of games to play, spoilt for choice. Dead Space? Forza? Where to start?

Plumped for Vanquish (mainly because I've heard it's short), which I played for about half-an-hour. Quite good fun, but could get repetitive.

Comment

I found Dead Space and the first sequel were two of the most enjoyable survival-horror games I'd played in ages. Nothing tremendously innovative about them, simply two good examples of the genre.

Comment

I had a go on the recent Tomb Raider game, there was a bit where you get chased by two cats. Instead I noticed a load of monkeys in the trees, and started to pick em all off with the bow, they amusingly drop like bags of hammers. All the monkeys got got.

Comment

I said I'd have a crack at Sonic3 & Knuckles and I've been going at it. I haven't played a proper sonic for years and damn it shows. I forgot how unforgiving they are.

Comment

[MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION]: were those actual felines or did you mean 'cats' in the jazz-sense? I started to imagine you playing Tomb Raider whilst wearing a beret, goatee and turtle neck jumper, mumbling in jive, like: "now don't be be going and be making a happening. Be cool. We're all hep-cats here, you dig? Everyone mellow out and we all be hunky-dory"

Comment

Vanpeebles once grew his hair to a length close to that of Disco Stu.

Comment

Pebble afro

Comment

Working...
                                X