Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are Umidigi compared to Xiaomi, I was tempted by an S2 Pro last year but bottled it and went for a Moto G5s Plus - which I'm happy with.

Comment

24 hours with the OP6 and, goodness me, what a phone.

Lightning fast, super smooth and the screen makes browsing really easy. The extra height means you see more of the page your looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
        How are Umidigi compared to Xiaomi, I was tempted by an S2 Pro last year but bottled it and went for a Moto G5s Plus - which I'm happy with.
        I don't think they are in the same league to be honest. Xiaomi tend to have excellent build quality for even their cheaper handsets. Plus they seem to patch and update with good support.

I usually watch reviews on YouTube from Tech Tablets and Redskull which covers most handsets coming from Chinese brands. Worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          I don't think they are in the same league to be honest. Xiaomi tend to have excellent build quality for even their cheaper handsets. Plus they seem to patch and update with good support.

I usually watch reviews on YouTube from Tech Tablets and Redskull which covers most handsets coming from Chinese brands. Worth a look.
          Ta, subbed them both so will take a look when I get some time. I seem to remember one of the reasons not going Chinese and perhaps mentioned here was that the Chinese sets wouldn't support iPlayer, truth or no I went for the Moto. Since I don't use it much now I could do without it in future so would definitely give a Chinese one a go.

Thanks again,

Comment

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has developed the dreaded pink lines fault which seems to add a line for every week that goes by so I'm switching back to my now five year old Sony Xperia Z phone. It's a little battered due to the kids chewing on it etc but I tell you what, considering it was the first over around a dozen incarnations it holds up damned well and I think when I can do so I'll pick up a spare Xperia ZX or such as they seem to be cheap second hand.

Comment

Bought a Huawei P8 Lite 2017 last night.

Figured I would see if I can live with a cheaper handset. If so I'll flog my S9 and it's stupid screen aspect ratio and no battery life if run at max resolution.

Comment

Anyone know about Homtom line of phones? They seem to be an awfully lot like Galaxy S's but for much less

Comment

Got the Huawei. Unlocked the bootloader, installed a recovery menu and rooted it so far. Just got to choose a ROM now. Hardware is actually fairly nice for the money I thought.

Comment

Found out what the Homtom workaround is, 6 inch screen but 720p... or a quirky version of that anyway. Veering back towards an Xperia

Comment

Installed something called ColtOS and got a few apps up and running. Being able to scale everything down to take advantage of the 1080p display is a massive benefit to a more standard ROM I think, compared to EMUI at least. Should do nicely.

Comment

I've continued my long delve into the world of mobiles as my S6 Edge continues its slow, slow decline into screen glitches. I've now got my vids etc all running from my old Xperia Z and have been looking at what's been out on a broader scale over the last 3-5 years.

I've definitely come to one conclusion, screen notches absolutely suck. Man, they completely ruin the appearance of a phone and would annoy the hell out of me. They're like a ropey prototype of a bezel less phone the maker hasn't work out yet. For those that have dodged that issue and gone actually bezel less... well, better but you know what? I actually do like a bezel I've realised. It's like a handheld or playing a game on a mobile, I don't want my fingers to be over any part of the image display. You can try to pince the tipe edges of the device but really it's bad design making up for a novelty feature. I like having a bar on each side that acts as a safe zone to hold and easily watch vids etc without any detraction from convenience for any function.

It's a consideration that's made going for an older model an easier pill to swallow. I'm definitely in the waiting period to get the money required and to ride out my current phone whilst there's still life in it but I think I've settled that the best of both worlds for me between function, form and not feeling like I've gone for something too cheap in build will be the Xperia XZ Premium

Comment

Two questions, people.

1. Is there any way of finding out how strong a providers coverage is in your area before signing up to them? I've got the worst 4g ever it just dies here I've had to spend two hours to order something online and about thirty attempts just to reply to a thread here. The voice signal is bad too. Generally had decent service elsewhere so I don't really want to switch.

2. I like Samsung and HTC devices the most but need a cheap or mid range phone in an emergency. Is the Moto E4 any good? Seems to have a huge battery but low res screen and I think 16gb will mean not many apps or space. Any tips?

Comment

[MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION] The OP6 is stupidly good! And you can disable the notch.

Comment

Had a check and it looks a decent phone but the price seems to weigh in much higher than an XZP can be picked up for

Comment

About to switch from Android to Apple (an iPhone 8 probably). Anything I should know ( I know about the new announcements yesterday, still want an 8 as don't like no-bezel)? Ta.

Comment

Working...
                                X