Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

component video cables - a quick query...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

component video cables - a quick query...

Alright guys, a quick back story.

i just bought myself the rather fantastic Samsung LE26R87BDX, got my 360 running through VGA and it is stunning.

I have modded original xbox as well, which I am running through component. I am using a 3rd party box pictured here.

The problem is that I am getting a pink picture on the screen. Now heres the thing, I don't actually have a proper set of component cables, but I tried using the red, white and yellow cables that you would use for composite video and l/r audio.I assumed these cables would be the same(probably wrongly) so is this my problem?

The way I see it there are three thing that could be wrong.

1. The box is faulty.
    2. My TV is faulty.
    3. Component cables are slightly different to normal av cables, hence why the picture is garbled.

Can I assume that it is the 3rd option, as I cannot find any information to suggest that they are.

AV experts, help!

Check the settings for the component input on the TV. There may be an option to select between RGB and YUV or something similar.

Comment

maybe, although the image is the same in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i

i'll check when i get home

Comment

I have that very same box I use on my Xbox and I can vouch for it as being a fine product, unless of course yours is broked.

Might be worth nipping in Asda they do some pretty chucky Phillips component cables for £3 or sunt cheap, i use them and they are fine.

Comment

Hold up. Is it a UK xbox? If so, have you run the pal/ntsc patch disc that allows you output 720p properly? If not, then your box won't really understand what the component cable is for and since you are getting dodgy colours that's the first thing that came to mind.

Edit, ah just noticed you said it was the same in 720p etc. Are these what you've set in the MS dash / xbmc? Or a setting on the TV?

Comment

set them in the xbox dash and then changed in xbmc also. the tv automatically sets the resolution based on the signal. i think i have sussed it though. been reading up on cables, and (i think) if I were to use 3 yellow cables it should potentially work, as i think the issue may be with the audio connectors. something to do with the wire shielding carrying a signal. i'll pop into asda on the way home tonight though, see what i can get.

Comment

it's to do with impedance actually, iirc audio cables are only 50ohm wheras component technicly requires 75ohm.

Comment

Freddo beat me to it, it'll probably be the cables.

I used to have the component cable for my NTSC machine, but it worked fine on my PAL xbox with interlaced games, they just came thru as interlaced.

Comment

Hey guys, was pottering about last night and I solved my problem

I am using the Krayzie Ndure softmod and one of the options in the Extras menu is to force RGB. I must have turned this on when I installed it. Turned it off and it works fine! Incidentally the composite cables do actually work, although the image quality is poor compared to the proper cables. Cheers for the replies guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X