Persona 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persona 3

Well after all the delays, due to the art book, my copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 has finally arrived...on a saturday, horay for Royal Mail

I've only done the first day of school so far but already I can see im going to enjoy this.

The music is excellent, will definately be adding the soundtrack that came with the game to iTunes

The anime cutscenes are really well done, some have a 'Seriel Experiment Lain' vibe to them.

The garphics arent the best i've seen on the PS2 but they fit with the games anime cutscenes.

I'll post some impressions of the combat once I get to it.
    Right then, combat, is pretty standard J-RPG affair with normal attacks, special attacks etc. Enemies have weaknesses with you can exploit and when you hit an enemy with a spell that they are weak against they are knocked down and you get an extra turn, if you knock all the enemies down then you can do a "all-out attack" where all the characters run in and wail on the enemies for high damage.
    You can't control of the other characters directly but you can give them general orders, like focus on healing/attacking/free etc. One thing i've noticed is that the combat is very fast paced.

Sometimes after combat some cards will appear with images on them which get shuffled up, they can give you things like new Persona's, healing, bonus exp, coin, weapons etc.

The artbook is very nicely presented with a picture of the main character and his persona on the front with a moon behind them, its a hardback book which surprised me as I was expecting a flimsy paperback. Some nice images and comments from the artists inside, although I wouldnt read it if you dont want ANY spoilers because it shows some locations and characters from later in the game.

The original soundtrack just comes in a paper wallet which was tucked inside the artbook.
    Last edited by Orgun; 20-08-2007, 12:39.

Still waiting for my copy from VG+.

Got to many games on the go at the mo, but i'm think i'm going to have to start this one up right away anyway. One of the few games that i've been really hyped about.

I take it the soundtrack CD is just a selection, not a full OST?

Comment

VG+ is where I got mine from.

Yeah I know what you mean I'm going to try and mission it and finish this before Bioshock is out.

The soundtrack is 18 tracks and it says Persona 3 OST on it so im guessing its the full ost.

Comment

Can you give some more gameplay impressions? I'm still undecided if I should get this, I love SMT games but this one sounds like it has a lot of sim elements which I'm not too big on.

Comment

The sound track is 2 CDs for the JP release, 60 tracks in all so it is the normal Atlus pick & mix they do for the bonus then. Was hoping mine would get here today, bah to RM. Again.

Comment

Got my copy today as well (also from videogamesplus). It's a nice experience so far, you need to go to school, meet people and make friends.
            The only drawback is that you can't control your other team mates in battle :'(

Comment

I've too got this on the way from VG+, cancelled Warhawk for it, so I hope it's gonna be good.

Comment

Are the original Japanese voices available?

Comment

They don't appear to be, but the VA isn't bad and voices can be turned off should you so desire.

I love how cool the hero is, running round with his hands in his pockets looks ace.

Comment

So far i've been very impressed with the AI of your teammates, not once have I cursed them for doing something stupid in 20hours of gameplay and i've just left them on the default Free setting. They heal when someone needs to be healed and attack enemies weaknesses.

Comment

Absolutely loving this. Its amazingly fast paced for a JRPG - both in terms of the storyline and the combat - which is sooo refreshing. Theres so much to do and see that no session is the same - I find its quite tricky to decide where to spend your after school time too, as *everyone* seems to be vying for your attention (although the girls seem to be getting most of mine at the moment...). Its surprisingly well written too - its great fun developing some of the relationships (MMO girl/Kenji in particular).

Just polished off my midterms - I need to get stuck back into Tartarus now though, as I didn't really progress in it for about two weeks before/during the exams. I could only get Junpei to come along in the evenings, so the party was pretty weak and I had to leg it each time before reaching the next gateway - really missed having Yukari's healing spells on hand. I've just mixed up a new Jack Frost persona to take over from Orpheus too, and whilst he's a lot stronger, I did rely on the Cadenza healing spell a lot beforehand (esp. in the boss fights) so it'll be interesting to see how he fares.

Comment

Heh agreed mrsquare, there are a lot of choices Oh and that Cadenza spell comes in handy but dont worry if you've used Orpheus in a fusion as you can get him back later.

I've maxed out the Magician social link now (Kenji), can't decide what social link to max out next because everyone has an interesting story

Hmm im starting to think that raising your academics skill increases the difficulty of the questions you get in class because I got one I didnt have a clue about "Who came up with the law behind how contact lenses work"...wtf

Oh a tip on raising your Academics without changing to evening,

take a trip to the shrine and make a donation

Comment

i started playing this yesterday finally after getting a new memory card. this game is sooooo wrong, it shouldn't make me want to go to school. i couldn't wait to leave the place when i was there. O_o

Comment

How do you increase your stamina or keep your party awake. I can only clear 2 floors before they start falling asleep...

Comment

Don't worry about it, it gets much better as you level up. A tip for when you're tired -

Go see the nurse at school and drink his concoction, you'll get free courage for it, so it's worth getting tired!

Comment

Working...
                              X