No announcement yet.

John Woo Presents Stranglehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how does the slow down stuff work in MP?? Think this si the first MP game to bring a single player slow down mechanic across to MP as any other game I can think of with this kind of stuff has just removed it from the MP.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders View Post
      You ain't done with it yet then mate?

I hope to have it rinsed by end of the weekend, it doesn't seem a particularly long game.
      Not yet mate although I do only have two levels to go. I normally destroy games as soon as I get them but I`m doing my best to make this one last, although it isn`t going to last much longer to be honest.

Originally posted by Mardigan8 View Post
      So how does the slow down stuff work in MP?? Think this si the first MP game to bring a single player slow down mechanic across to MP as any other game I can think of with this kind of stuff has just removed it from the MP.
      I don`t have a clue how this works but I`ve seen it with my own peepers. The fact that yesterday it was near impossible to get a game didn`t give me much chance to study it but maybe over the next few days we can get a good look at it in action.

Comment

I was unsuccessful in getting a MP going yesterday, I don't see this one lasting more than a week, which is fine by me, will serve to go towards something else on the Blockbuster trade thingy.

Comment

I'm kind of enjoying this but it has too many old gen design choices that take the edge off the experience.

For example, you fight your way through a shanty town, blowing up buildings, mowing down bad guys and taking several rounds to the face and come through unscathed. You then dive the wrong way and INSTANTLY DIE when you hit the water seeing as they don't want you to go in it. Hey Midway, if you don't want to implement swimming, don't let me go in the water at all. Insta death is about one of the worst things you can possibly do in a game.

Also, in the

boat hanger

level, guys spawn in shipping containers. As you approach, the doors swing open and guys emerge. The other end of the container is shut. So am I meant to believe that these goons have spent the day hanging out inside a container and then emerge when they hear my footsteps nearby?

Normally I try to forgive these things in games and buy into their universe but in the context that they try to present with the game, insta death water and bad guy spawn rooms look ridiculous.

Also, I have no idea what's happening in the story as it is told through scrappy cut scenes that are not in anyway engaging. There seems to be rival criminal factions and I don't know which goons I'm shooting to belong to and past the first level I had no idea why I'm doing anything in the game.

This is compounded by the jokes of objectives. "Go hear and destroy 10 tables of drugs." Why? How does that serve any use for anything other than to make me explore the windy maps?

The story and objectives are in absolutely no way compelling and while the gun play is top notch, by halfway through the second level you have seen everything the game as to offer as far as I can see.

So while I'm enjoying it to a certain degree, I feel let down by their design choices, occasionally ballistic graphics and instantly forgettable story.

Midway blather on about the $30 million they spent on this and you would have hoped for that they could have tidied up the niggling gameplay issues and bought some proper video compression rather than using the trial version of whatever has vomitted out the cut scenes.

So while I am enjoying it, I am not that impressed considering how long it has taken and the hype that it has received.

Comment

$30 milion is that right , jesus it took that amount of money to make an unoriginal above average shooter?

is there no one left that speaks up in these companies and says hang on a minuite guys were spending to much money here, or, hang on guys this is actually a load of crap what were doing.

Comment

Yeah, it maybe cost that to use the Unreal 3 dev tools lol.

Comment

And John Woo probably wasn't cheap.

Comment

After having decent first impressions I`ve now become extremely bored of this game. I`m not surprised though because as much as I enjoyed the demo I wondered if the diving about in slow motion would get tired and it has.

The icing on the cake was after playing the first half of the game on hard, I managed to start the second half of the game on normal which has of course screwed up my hard mode run through and I don`t know if I can be bothered to go back to do it again.

I spend my time on hard mode getting the **** shot out of me whilst in cover and hoping I can pop out and shoot someone in the face with one shot. What started off as quite a cool and fun game very quickly becomes very dull.

The fact that Midway are involved should`ve given me a clue to how average this game really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nembot View Post
                    After having decent first impressions I`ve now become extremely bored of this game. I`m not surprised though because as much as I enjoyed the demo I wondered if the diving about in slow motion would get tired and it has.

The icing on the cake was after playing the first half of the game on hard, I managed to start the second half of the game on normal which has of course screwed up my hard mode run through and I don`t know if I can be bothered to go back to do it again.

I spend my time on hard mode getting the **** shot out of me whilst in cover and hoping I can pop out and shoot someone in the face with one shot. What started off as quite a cool and fun game very quickly becomes very dull.

The fact that Midway are involved should`ve given me a clue to how average this game really is.
                    My sentiments exactly, tbh. Playing through on Hard and really finding some of it a slog now. It got to one point, where I ended up switching it off through inane boredom.

I'm not keen on the checkpoint system either, tbh. I know it's Hard, but c'mon, having to go back to the beginning of a task and planting 16 devices gets annoying after a while. Ditto with the "Shoot-out" where you can't skip the dialogue, and can take ****ing ages to get past a certain point and you'd spend more time waiting for it to reload than you would on that part.

My other gripe; the level design. Destroying the same thing over and over and over, albeit in greater quanitity is boring. For example; start out on one level destroying 9 things, then once you've done that? Destroy 14 of the same ****ing thing... still not content? Blow up 4 things... then finally, plant 16 things. Bor-****ing-ring.
                    Last edited by Bleeders; 14-09-2007, 08:59.

Comment

Right I'm going for a normal difficulty playthrough then hopefully not making it nails will make for a more pleasurable experience.

Gutted it's turned so dry so quick Surely MP could still save it if we all get online over the weekend ?

Comment

MP could improve things, for sure. But I make you right, play it on Normal. I've found the level-design to be dragged out for the most part, especially on the cut n' paste Tao level, which goes on... and on... and on... and on.
                        Last edited by Bleeders; 14-09-2007, 10:39.

Comment

I had one game of multiplayer and turned it off halfway through.

I can't say for sure but I think the host may have a slight advantage. I say that because pissing bullets at him didn't seem to do anything where as he destroyed my world ever so quickly.

Lets organise an NTSC game to try and see if we can get some fun out of it.

Comment

Bah, was gonna give this a miss given the poor comments so far and the fact Heavenly Sword is getting picked up this afternoon but now there is talk of NTSC live games... I may just have to dip my toe now.

Comment

I was just leaning toward picking this up but after reading this page have changed my mind.

NTSC-UK in SAVING me money shocker!!!

Comment

It doesn't happen often.

Honestly, not worth £40 of anyone's money. If it's region-free and on Play-Asia, probably a better and financially reasonable bet, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                X