John Woo Presents Stranglehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Woo Presents Stranglehold

In short if you didn't like the demo there's going to be nothing here to change your mind.

But if you love mindlessly blowing and shooting the five bells of flaming hell out of everything in sight, then you're going to love this game.

It feels a lot more polished than the demo. Arguably in frame rate (though it does get quite hectic at times which shows a little), but most definitely in terms of controls and placement of objects. It's almost like they threw as many tables and rails in to the demo just to show what it could do. Things in the full version feel a little bit more organised and easier to manage in the full thing.

The demo was also scaled back a little so it's not an identical repeat with the opening alley / market section (although it's 98% similar).

The tea house shootout was great (destruction aplenty) and the second level gives you the opportunity to actually blow apart shanty buildings.

So much fun using precision aim to hit chemical tanks and watching bodies being blowing out of shack windows

Special mention to the menu screen too which is all done in Tequila bullet time.

Plus you get to meet John Woo. Woo...hoo...
    Last edited by Spatial; 11-09-2007, 22:26. Reason: removed the science abuse

Which version are you playing?

I've got the Blu-ray/free film edition on pre-order, mainly due to the film lol. The demos were OK but I'm not really expecting anything special from it.

Comment

The fact that you couldn't move without sliding over some damn obstacle is probably the main thing that put me off of the demo to be honest, so if that's scaled back I might well pick it up when it releases on the PS3 (HD Hard Boiled too!) after all.

What are the other two Tequila Bombs after Precision Aim? I can't remember... or maybe they weren't in the demo?

Comment

I'm playing the 360 version.

I've only unlocked Barrage which is the one after Precision Aim - it allows you to fire like a mad man whilst taking limited damage and not loose any ammo. You'll certainly need to use it on the second level.

Although I haven't unlocked it yet the next one is the Spin Attack.

Comment

With doves, I assume? /woo

Comment

The next attack kills everyone on the screen, basically you'll see it in videos, he loads up both guns doves fly everywhere while he spins and shoots everyone dead (you again take no damage while it does this but you have to have near enough all 4 bars of the meter to perform it)

I liked the Demo for fun factor, completed it on all difficulties hense unlocked all the extra's from it

Olly.
            Last edited by Olly C; 11-09-2007, 20:48.

Comment

like i said after playing the demo.Probally the most fun i've had with a game all year.It's one of those games where the more you put in,the more you get out.The difference between an experienced player and a newcomer is akin to something like tony hawks.

I expect nothing less than greatness when this finally drops through my door on thursday.

Comment

All the attacks were availible in the demo, each time you replayed it you unlocked another

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                  The fact that you couldn't move without sliding over some damn obstacle is probably the main thing that put me off of the demo to be honest, so if that's scaled back I might well pick it up when it releases on the PS3 (HD Hard Boiled too!) after all.
                  After the first level you barely come across places low enough for you to slide around on.

I am very disappointed with this one. The game gets very repetitive as you play through and they haven't introduced a new weapon since the second level. Breaking stuff is still fun but not enough to make it interesting.

Comment

It's also a real mixed bag graphically.

Some of the times you look at it and think "wow, that looks really, really good" and the next you'll be noticing how ropey some of the character models look next to Tequila or how their teeth appear to be hanging out of their mouths like some big eared boy from down on the farm

Some of the cut scenes are also really badly compressed to the point where it's distracting. The ending for the second level is really atrocious in that respects.

Having got to the end of the second level tonight it does start to show a few more flaws in terms of being a bit juddery in places (the minigun sections in particular).

The music is really, really cool though and sounds like it's been lifted straight from a Hong Kong action flick.

The voice acting is laughably bad though. I was totally expecting it to be of a particular ropey style (part of the badly dubbed HK flick appeal) but some of it seems so blisteringly bad that it can't be intentional. The comments by the helicopter pilot had me guffawing like a good 'un.

I do get the feeling this would have been better as a budget title and I think a lot of people (unless they really, really want to have it ASAP) would do best to wait until it comes down in price.
                    Last edited by Spatial; 11-09-2007, 22:25.

Comment

This has been in development for ages too.

Comment

Despite the flaws there are some great levels in this and it does keep getting better in terms of massive and OTT displays of destruction.

The

Dinosaur museum

level and being chased through

the apartment

, especially where you're being fired on by the

helicopter

are both great. And especially when you kick it into Tequila time and then dive from one bit of cover to the next, shooting lots of bad guys in the face as you go.

This game is unashamedly loud, in your face and complete throwaway nonsense.

And despite the fact that it leaves me with the distinctly tangy feeling of True Crime:Streets of LA on times, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Comment

I quite like this, didn't get on with the demo, but something has clicked with it; it's crass, unshamedly loud and abrasive, but in a good way.

Playing through on Hard and whilst in parts it can be frustrating, it's not half as bad as I thought it would be, although Tequila's interaction with some of the environment can be hit and miss in him inadvertantly performing different stunts and getting killed.

I'm finding the cut-scenes on my Elite looking very ropey, whilst the in-game engine holds up fine. Strange.
                          Last edited by Bleeders; 13-09-2007, 08:02.

Comment

I`m well liking this so far. At first like Bleeders mentioned I found the enviroment interactions a bit hit and miss too, but as I`m a bit more used to what he does and when I can compensate for an unwanted dive or slide accross a table top.

I am also playing hard mode which at times can be frustrating, but that`s due to the difficulty rather than any "cheaty cheaty" by the game itself.

The massive amounts of destruction you deal really are top drawer. There are some parts that remind me of the lobby scene in the Matrix with all the plaster flying off the walls and such.

Only had a little go of the MP game as it was so difficult to find one, it looks like it could be good fun and as promised the slowdown moves are available in MP too.

Stanglehold is a wicked game and I`m trying not to beat the **** out of it but I can see it finished either today or tomorrow.

Comment

You ain't done with it yet then mate?

I hope to have it rinsed by end of the weekend, it doesn't seem a particularly long game.

Comment

Working...
                              X