No announcement yet.

General Emulation Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 2018, an exploit was found in the Nintendo Switch that would allow users to run outside code. While that’s of course led to some piracy, it’s also let modders and coders have some fun with the console, up to and including getting Android running on the system, with all the features and tricks that brings along…

The latest from Switch tinkerers is that they now have Android running on it which opens up even more

And it's incredibly early but a Switch PS2 emulator is now taking form:

Comment

Updated comparison of Switch emulation to the real machine:

101 is Coming...

Comment

Just bought a mini PC which will arrive tomorrow. It’s an Epson ST170E and is similar in size to a Lenovo Tiny. It has an i5 4320m(2.7GHz) and can take up to 2x8GB RAM. The cool bit is that there are two SATA ports and space for two 2.5” drives so I can also use it as a NAS.

Looking forward to using RetroArch on it!

I’m sick of emulation on consoles so far. RetroArch crashes my PS3 if I load a troublesome ROM, forcing a hard shutdown and subsequent HDD scan. 3DS and Wii-U also go down hard when they crash. I haven’t had a good experience since the OG Xbox. My other option so far has been my HDMI stick PC which is not powerful(1.4GHz Atom, 2GB RAM! Windows 10 Home!!) so this will be a breath of fresh air. And it only cost £90 with Windows 10 Pro.

Comment

I've never had any trouble on the OG Wii, all the emulators run pretty much perfectly. Retroarch however is fiddly to use in my experience, plus I can't seem to get a proper 240p picture on my Trinitron unlike all the other emus.

Comment

I briefly tried the Wii but it’s 480p and I couldn’t get my USB Saturn pads to work. PS3 is great in that regard because it supports USB stuff natively, but the random crashes did me in. RetroArch crashing on PC never brings the entire thing down, just the program itself. It’s caused by my rom set but that brings up another issue - the cores for console versions of RetroArch lag behind PC a fair bit. My rom set is around three years old but it’s still newer than the PS3 port of FBA.

Anyway, I’m going to look into a front end. I like those cool ones with the game artwork and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Anyway, I’m going to look into a front end. I like those cool ones with the game artwork and stuff.
              Bigbox (via Launchbox) is decent. For something more arcade-like/simple try Attract Mode.

Originally posted by randombs View Post

I’m sick of emulation on consoles so far..
              Nvidia Shield TV is head and shoulders above any console, can use run ahead to reduce latency as well, and runs everything up to Dolphin (admittedly Dolphin is a bit hit and miss). A PC is indeed the best option. I currently have my gaming PC upstairs streaming to my Pioneer living room TV via Gamestream. I can use all the HD packs and upscale it to 2K. Using a Mayflash Wii bar and Virtualhere you can network controllers with zero latency so the perfect solution - noisy, powerful PC upstairs, small Nvidia box in living room with correct controls. You can even use Virtualhere for Gamecube controllers using the Mayflash GC adapter but it doesn't work as well. Got fed up with a big meaty PC in the living room, which is what's needed to run Wii and Wii-U with the awesome HD packs and high-res stuff.

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
              I've never had any trouble on the OG Wii, all the emulators run pretty much perfectly. Retroarch however is fiddly to use in my experience, plus I can't seem to get a proper 240p picture on my Trinitron unlike all the other emus.
              Never had any issues with Retroarch with my arcade machines, CRT consumer sets or PVM using slightly earlier versions. The later RA builds have more CRT options which causes issues. I tend to stick with 1.73 especially for Saturn emulation as the latter ones seem to mess up the input options - not like RA isn't a nightmare for input options anyhow. I've made some youtube videos a while back if you're interested. I use RA for Saturn SF Zero 3 on my Astro City.
              Last edited by Escape-To-88; 23-08-2019, 17:44.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I found myself getting caught up in the MD Mini hype and it motivated me to sort this PC out properly.

I'm using Launchbox with RetroArch. CRT shaders to die for, all my controllers just work, and the Mayflash Magic-NS means I can use the same DS4 on both Switch and PC without re-syncing. Sega Rally Plus running at full speed with analogue steering is a dream.

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Bigbox (via Launchbox) is decent. For something more arcade-like/simple try Attract Mode.
                Thanks for the recommendation. I tried Launchbox, loved it, and paid $20 for a year of premium.

BigBox was ridiculously slow but it's calmed down now, especially after installing the Unified theme. The City Hunter one is gorgeous but it chugged horribly. I'll try it again to see if BigBox was just busy with other stuff at the time.

There's been a lot of faffing around but just with downloading images and organising systems. I've disabled a lot of the unnecessary imagery and movies but I really love the game details and boxes/screenshots which help with the nostalgia.

One thing I want to do is get rid of games I don't play. There are so many and I bery rarely play anything I didn't play before.

Comment

3DS emulation begins to properly arrive on Android

Comment

Anyone here got a Mister?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Anyone here got a Mister?
                      This is one of those dominant/submissive roleplay things, right? You sure this is the right thread for this?

Comment

I believe he means a MiST? But you never know.

Comment

No, I mean Mister, well ok, MiSTer:

Main MiSTer binary and Wiki. Contribute to MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            No, I mean Mister, well ok, MiSTer:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
                            I'm getting one soon.

Comment

Let us know what you think of it. Particularly interested in the Amiga core but I doubt that’s of interest to you but if you get the chance...

Comment

I have a Mister, only tried Megadrive (Excellent), Arcade Cores (Excellent) & NES (Excellent).

It was quite hard finding & ordering all of the bits but really quite easy to setup once assembled. I wouldn't recommend a 3D printed case though, looks really ugly. Go for a really nice looking metal or perspex case instead like this LINK

Comment

Working...
                                X