Halo 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halo 3

Had this since yesterday (don't hurt me) and played through the first few levels, it is just what I expected it to be so far......BRILLIANT! The word I would use so far is cinematic in terms of the whole experience, from the gameplay and set pieces all the way to the music.

Everyone will want to know about the graphics, they are nice and functional. They are not at a Gears level by any means but that does not mean they are poor by any means! Best way to describe the graphics would be sharp and crisp, oh and I must give special mention to the lighting. The first level (won't say what it is) shows this off very well, you are walking through and you will see a glimpse of lighting creeping in.....it looks lovely!

Gameplay is classic Halo but with a few tweaks here and there. You can pretty much play the game how you want to which for me is part of the brilliance of Halo. You love long range combat? Get a sniper, battle rifle and a few grenades, unleash your hell on the Covenant! I personally love ripping off a turret, walking up to a group of Covenant and pumping them full of lead, superb! I am currently playing on normal but am finding it as easy as I thought I would, partly due to the superb AI of the enemies. There were many moments that made me go "wow" but one in particular sticks out.....

pumping a group of Covenant during the end forest level which included two brutes and a few grunts, got a few of the grunts down leaving the brutes a little exposed to me and my soldiers.

I run up

to finish off one of the brutes and he deploys a bubble shield which the other brute plus two grunts run into aswell!

Suddenly

I am now the one in trouble

Needless to say

I am attacked to verge of death but I somehow survive by getting behind some cover and eventually take the SoB's out with help from my helpful soldiers!

Main story wise I don't want to ruin anything for any of you guys but I will say so far it is very interesting!

On the MP side, I can't really play with anyone yet but I did have walk around all of the maps last night and every map is very very good. I can imagine some of you do not wanna know about the maps so I won't name them or go into detail but........I can see a lot of fun NTSC sessions happening once everyone has the game, there is something for everyone on almost every map. Oh and I dabbled a little in the Forge mode, also seems very interesting with the whole editing as you play aspect.

edit by charlesr: please everyone remember to use spoiler tags where necessary.
    Last edited by ezee ryder; 19-09-2007, 14:01.

Given that Halo was 'Combat Evolved' (or something) and that was quite a few years ago with other games (GoW, Bioshock, whatever) coming since and upping the ante, has the gameplay of Halo evolved or will people know pretty much what to expect from playing the first Halo? Talking purely gameplay here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Given that Halo was 'Combat Evolved' (or something) and that was quite a few years ago with other games (GoW, Bioshock, whatever) coming since and upping the ante, has the gameplay of Halo evolved or will people know pretty much what to expect from playing the first Halo? Talking purely gameplay here.
      Hmm hard to answer. It has that classic Halo gameplay combination of GGM (Guns, Grenades and Melee) but you will play some sections and they will feel slighty different. I don't want to go into depth too much as I might reveal something but the equipment certainly does add to the gameplay experience.

Comment

Is the music better. For example have they got rid of the awful screaming RAWK!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbob View Post
          The music so far compliments the gameplay very well. I don't exactly know what you mean by the "RAWK" screaming , grunt screaming?!

Comment

BAN REQUEST.

Comment

Is the Steve Vai Halo-theme back in?

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders View Post
                Is the Steve Vai Halo-theme back in?
                I think have heard it but I could be wrong ....was too immeresed in the game last night.

Comment

I was on about the heavy metal guitars replacing the awesome original soundtrack.
                  But if you haven't noticed it too much, it must be a good score.
                  One more thing....

You haven't been banned from Xbox Live have you? I've heard rumours that MS are doing this, they are just rumours though, so don't quote me on it.

Comment

I was on about the heavy metal guitars replacing the awesome original soundtrack.
                    But if you haven't noticed it too much, it must be a good score.
                    One more thing....

You haven't been banned from Xbox Live have you? I've heard rumours that MS are doing this, they are just rumours though, so don't quote me on it.
                    Nope being playing on my original account while connected to Xbox Live and MS haven't touched me yet. As long as you have a legit copy you will be fine to play mate.

Comment

I have a few questions please.

-How are the loading times?

-Is coop campain the same as SP? (Full cutscenes and story) Is it possible to do the whole thing coop like Gears, whilst not losing aspects of the story? (I'm think of how R6Vegas removed the story from coop!)

Comment

The graphics maybe aren't the most amazing you've seen, but they are very, very nice. Some lovely detail combined with nice lighting and some varied environments mean that it really is a lovely game to look at from the start. There's also a very long draw distance and a hell of a lot going on without any slowdown.

Like Ezee says, there's a definite shift in to allowing you to play the game in a few different ways. So far there always seem to be different options available to you when faced with enemies. I'm also impressed with the AI of the marines and how they're fighting alongside you.

Using the turret-gun is very satisfying when you just rip it up.

Anyway, back to it...

Oh, loading times are fine. You've got the age-old HL system where you get sections loading seamlessly as you play and then there's a short loading break in between proper levels. I'd say you don't even notice them tbh.

Comment

Can anyone comment on how region friendly this is?

Comment

Originally posted by ne0star View Post
                            Can anyone comment on how region friendly this is?
                            No region free news yet mate as I am playing PAL copy on a PAL machine, news should be floating about the web in the next few days though.

Comment

Whats forcefeedback like on this? Is their control options for altering movement (ie making it slower to head look or faster I ask this as I get motion sickness)?

Comment

Working...
                              X