Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Simpsons Game - 360 Demo

Worst. Demo. Ever.

Well not quite, but it is disappointing. A lot of nice things have been said about this game and it looked very pretty from the videos.

The demo is set in a small area with Bart and Homer fighting Lard Boy, the giant Donut carrying icon brought to life in a Treehouse of Horror episode. There are also loads of mini evil Krustys running around (brought to life by lard Boy from a Krusty burger sign). I?m not sure what game this is supposed to parodying (unless it?s other crappy Simpsons? games).

The good and the bad:

Woo-hoo: It looks lovely and they have captured the colours of the Simpson?s world very well. It is in 3D but looks closer to the 2D episodes than previous games. The voices are all the real characters and a few of the lines are fairly funny.

Doh! : It plays like a 3D game from ten years ago. The camera is horrible and gets stuck behind scenery. Controls are sluggish and sometimes even the jump button does nothing. Bart has a lock-on for his catapult, but getting it to target where you actually want it to is a nightmare.

Lardboy is defeated by hitting a flashing spot on his back shows a hatch. Hit this and it reveals his circuitry. You then have a few seconds to disable it. Repeat this three times with different hatches on his body (which are frustrating to reach because of the crap controls) and that?s it ? demo over.

It?s just so uninspired. The level is also littered with pointless collectibles such as Duff bottle caps. Apparently you collect ten to unlock a trophy (I didn?t bother).

And why do all Simpsons games struggle to capture what the Simpsons is really about? Bart and Homer act completely out of character all the time. Homer has special powers where his burp stuns enemies or he can become very fat in an instant and roll around. And Bart changes into??.you guessed it, Bartman. Why does every Simpson?s game have to feature Bartman, a character that hardly ever features in the Simpson?s world apart from that crappy song?

Why can?t we see a game more like the Simpson?s episodes, a bit like Bully with Bart and Lisa in his school, Homer in the nuclear power plant and Marge and Maggie at home?

Having played loads of ****e demos that turned out to be good games (hello Chromehounds and Kameo) this could be pretty good. But they had better have sorted out the camera and controls, else this is just another wasted effort.

pretty much agree with all that.

i had this on pre-order which i have now cancelled after this.

it looks amazing but the game, its just horrible. i hated the controls instantly, didn't have a clue what was going on half the time and if it wasn't for the fact its the simpsons would have deleted it straight away.

i'll give it another go but this was a major let down, was so looking forward to it as well

Comment

I concur.

Really, really disappointed in this. The graphics are simply gorgeous, but the game itself is just awful.

Comment

They stated that level was a parody of Shadow of the Collosus.

Its called Shadow of the Collossol Donut.

At least the name is funny

Comment

Blimey. I think I need to try the 360 version - the feedback on the version on PSN hasn't been this negative.

I didn't mind the camera once you realised that controlling the camera was part of controlling your character - think like an FPS if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Blair View Post
            They stated that level was a parody of Shadow of the Collosus.

Its called Shadow of the Collossol Donut.

At least the name is funny
            It doesn't play, look or feel like SotC. The only similarity is that you are battling an enemy who is biiger than you (but not by much).

I didn't mind the camera once you realised that controlling the camera was part of controlling your character - think like an FPS if you will.
            That bit's fine and is standard third person fare. The problem is that if there is a fence between the camera and your character, the game doesn't make the fence partially invisible, so you end up looking at a massive fence. Plus the camera gets stuck on certain objects.

If the PS3 version doesn't have these problems, then maybe it is from a later build. That would certainly be re-assuring for the final version.

Comment

There are camera issues on the PS3 version too, although I didn't consider them bad enough to be game breaking (Though it's possible I just didn't spend too much time in close to the scenery) and the lock-on was a little random (I just cycled through the targets by tapping the button anyway), but other than that I found it quite enjoyable.

I certainly didn't have any problems with the controls themselves. Aiming, shooting, jumping etc. all felt absolutely fine to me.

I did comment in the PSN forum that this was a piss poor choice for a demo level (Clearly a demo was a late consideration) but based on what I played I honestly think the full game has real potential. I'm eagerly awaiting review scores, if only to get a feel for how the rest of the game plays out.

Comment

I'm gonna download the 360 version now too, I quite liked the PS3 one...not amazing but silly fun nonetheless...can't see it being any different on the 360 to be honest.

Comment

It doesnt surprise me tbh.
                  Every Simpsons game released over the last 7 yrs has looked good but been pants to play.
                  Simpsons Wrestling, Road Rage, Hit & Run, Skateboarding. Need I go on?

Comment

This was awful. Took me half an hour to complete, but considering that it was simply luck that the giant donut wielding boss appeared in the right places when I needed it too, doesn't say much. For those less fortunate and with the patience of a saint, it could take forever.

The controls aren't precise enough, the AI is clumsy and the camera is the worst third-person effort I've come across over the last couple of years. As a demo, with no time to settle and constant harrasement, all it does is emphasise the flaws. A shame really considering the production values are very high. So... one to avoid on this evidence. Especially if the fundamental gameplay mechanics aren't radically tuned before the demo and release.

Comment

I did laugh at the videogaming cliches you can collect though, like if you jump in the water it gives you one and tells you you obviously can't swim until the sequal lol.

Comment

what did you people expect?

insta-perchase awesomeness...?

Simpson license game in **** shocker!!!

Comment

Previews have been favourable though.

The annoying thing is, with a little care it could be good. It's the basic stuff it gets wrong.

Comment

Can anyone remember a Simpsons game on the PC which was more like an interactive cartoon and you had to hunt out baseball style cards of the characters? Talking late 90s

Comment

Yeah dude, that was Virtual Springfield.

Comment

Working...
                              X