X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 31: Dennou Senki Virtual On

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 31: Dennou Senki Virtual On

See link: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...2622-43-3.html

Ive never played Virtual On. Is the game still worth playing? Has anyone bought this SEGA AGES version? Enhanced port?

Probably the closest thing Ive played to Virtual On is Gotcha Force. Please tell me Sega's game is loads better....

Yeah the arcade version was rad, and the Saturn version is great even on the pad, i still give it a blast now n again.

Comment

According to the guys at insertcredit it's a port of the arcade game!

Comment

The Sega Ages Series has really been turn around, the early games where awful, but all the newer titles are ace.

I Played Virtual On yesterday on the PS2, it's a direct Model 2 so looks and plays just like the original arcade. Not only that but it has a ton of extra features in it include a new difficulty setting and the ability to play as the final boss. Only thing it's missing is the twin sticks control, as you can't get one for the PS2.

And if you haven't played Virtual On shame on you. It's a one on one mech combat game were you run, jump, shoot, fly around an arena blast the crap out of one. I would say it's a lot more in depth than Gotcha Force and a very good game.

The sequel Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, on the Dreamcast is even better than the first game.
        Last edited by S3M; 01-11-2007, 11:42.

Comment

How on earth do you beat the final boss? I've never properly played VO until now, but even on "child" mode, he destroys me.

Comment

hope they do a perfect conversion of the original house of the dead now

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
              How on earth do you beat the final boss? I've never properly played VO until now, but even on "child" mode, he destroys me.
              You wait till he turn yellow to fire his super weapon, then you have to attack like crazy, while dodging his super laser. He will take next to no damage when you attack him in his normal form. (With the exception of one or two weapons) Keep boosting all the time and don't let up on your attacks and avoid his as best as you can.

Oddly enough I beat him first time on the new really hard mode, but then I've been playing VO for years on the Saturn.
              Last edited by S3M; 02-11-2007, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                I remember the boss bein rock hard on Orio Tangram as well

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                  I Played Virtual On yesterday on the PS2, it's a direct Model 2 so looks and plays just like the original arcade. Not only that but it has a ton of extra features in it include a new difficulty setting and the ability to play as the final boss. Only thing it's missing is the twin sticks control, as you can't get one for the PS2.
                  But thx to the dual-analog setup of the PS2 cotroller it should control a hell of a lot better than the Saturn version with the Saturn pad?
                  Btw are the Twin Sticks analog or digital joysticks?
                  Last edited by Ryo Saeba; 03-11-2007, 15:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo Saeba View Post
                    But thx to the dual-analog setup of the PS2 cotroller it should control a hell of a lot better than the Saturn version with the Saturn pad?
                    Btw are the Twin Sticks analog or digital joysticks?
                    Not really, as analog isn't always better than digital. Especially if the game was only designed for digital controllers. Take VF4 Evo many of the moves are impossible to perform on a PS2 pad because it isn't digital.

The twin sticks were digital, I found VO better with the Saturn pad rather than the PS2 pad.

Comment

Got my copy yesterday and have to say I’m impressed (as I usually am with the Sega Ages games these days.

Graphically this seems pretty spot on to me and just further reinforces my disappointment that the very first Model 2 PS2 port they did (Virtua Fighter 2) was so shoddy graphically as all the others since (Sega Rally Championship 1995, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx and this) have been absolutely spot-on. Frame rate is flawless (again like the above games, you can choose between the arcade’s 57.5fps or 60fps) and contains a number of resolution options (arcade res, perspective correct res or full screen) and 480P/16:9 options.

And the game plays just as well as I remember. The Dual Shock is not ideal when compared to my DC Twin Sticks (just lacks the responsiveness of a pure digital controller when needing to quickly input commands) but overall it works and I was surprised at what I was able to do with the controller despite its limitations (that said if anyone can point me in the direction of a DC>PS2 adaptor to let me use Twin Sticks, I’ll be all over it). Very few combat games feel as satisfying as this. It’s an absolute joy to spot an opening, dash in on your opponent and decimate their energy bar with a CC attack.

Lots of options to play with too (again, another aspect that really makes the latest Sega Ages titles stand out). Contains both the Arcade’s original BGM and ‘Consumer’ BGM (the arranged music from the Saturn conversion), and all the arcade’s EEPROM settings (even down to the volume level of the attract mode sode ), plus a couple of galleries and sound test.

An Options (Extra) menu allows you to tinker with the game beyond the arcade original including new views (accessed with the Start button), new colours (up or down on the character select screen), and Easy Dash Cancel (which makes Dash Cancel act like VO:OT).

There’s a final Options (Secret) menu hidden away which provides further goodies including new moves (not tested yet but I’ve heard it adds moves to certain characters from Oratario Tangram), playable boss (Jaguarandi) and adding barriers to the stages.

Overall, a great game and a bargain for the £20 ish you can get it for from Play-Asia.

As always with Sega Ages, I went for the DX pack which contained all the goodies below:

Virtual-On t-shirt – Large (top left)
                      Artwork Cards – contains original art from the Model 2 game and the same art redone for this update. (top right)
                      Virtual-On card holder (middle left)
                      Sega Ages badge (middle right)
                      Virtual-On OST CD (bottom right)

Comment

Can I ask where you got the version with the t shirt?

I am tempted by this, keep flip flopping between getting the normal and DX release. I went a bit crazy and bought all the DX versions up to volume 16, wary to start on that road again, but that does look nice....

Comment

I got it from VGI but I pre-ordered it months ago and the pack with the T-Shirt is not listed any more (only the DX pack with the other contents). Not seen it listed anywhere else sadly.

Comment

Major Spoiler about a new hidden extra

But there is a secret boss fight if you can beat the game on the hardest difficulty quickly.

Here a video:
                            This is a full playthrough on the new Fierce difficulty on the Sega Ages port of the arcade original Virtual On. This also features a secret final boss, in t...

That video link should be in the spoiler post but the fourms not hiding it for some reason?

Comment

Have Sega announced which title is next in this series? Judging by recent releases, Daytona USA is starting to look entirely possible now.

Comment

Working...
                              X