Call of Duty 4 - Xbox 360/Playstation 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call of Duty 4 - Xbox 360/Playstation 3

In a period when many of the biggest hitters of many years are being released (Halo 3, Mario Galaxies, Orange Box etc etc) one game stood out for me as being the 'big one' ... that game was Call of Duty 4

From the off this game grabs you by the balls and won't let go ... starts off in Hereford with possibly the best 'set your gaming level' test ever (a time attack mode that the game uses to recommend the level you play the game with).

First proper level is one we have seen many times from various videos, the cargo ship attack by SAS troopers. Flying in, with a storm raging around you, then rapelling onto the ship and taking out anyone and everyone standing in your way ... the only complaint I have is that everything happens so damn fast, you want to take your time, absorbing every single second, marvelling at the detail in the enviroment, the lighting, the weather - but you can't, the level is about attacking with power and speed, taking out the enemy defences before they realise you are there, not giving them time to react (or even wake up in some cases) - it's not that you feel rushed, but you know instinctively that you need to be quick, you have your team mates to back up, enemies to neutralise, a job to do....

Finish that mission and the titles roll, along with one of the most cinematic openings ever to feature in gaming (not going to spoil it for anyone, but its a good un).

Played a couple more missions after that - and it's getting better and better.

Option for arcade mode is greyed out, becomes active once you finish the game ... and this enables leaderboards for every mission.

Will post more later
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Are you playing PS3, 360 or both?

Comment

I've only had chance to play just over an hour, but it's looking like possible Game of the Year material so far...

I know what you meant about the cargo ship level John, but I think it's intended that way, to make you feel slightly inadequate compared to the rest of your team.

Also, regarding the intro after that level. The end of it actually made me jump at the end. Incredible opening.
      Last edited by Jebus; 06-11-2007, 18:31.

Comment

Can I have some reports on level up from normal (hard?) difficulty on difference between the two as thats how I intend to play it.

Comment

Thanks for the report chaps. Can't wait to this on 360.

Comment

Got this today too, played the first mission at work at I pretty much echo what John and Jebus said, the game is stunning. The sheer panic at the end of the first mission is exhilarating, gonna sit down properly now to play and will report back with more detailed impressions later on.
            Last edited by ezee ryder; 06-11-2007, 19:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
              Can I have some reports on level up from normal (hard?) difficulty on difference between the two as thats how I intend to play it.
              All I can tell you is that I'm playing on normal and at points I'm really struggling. There is a training mission at the start which tells you what difficulty you should be playing at, first of all I scored "nooooooob" but tried again and got "normal", because I was familiar with the controls more then.

This game does not hold your hand in any way shape or form. There's no sight changing to tell you, you are targetting an enemy, which leads me to my first complaint. The game is VERY brutal in that it requires great speed AND accuracy and in the heat of the moment you can pop the head off of a friendly and in SOME missions that is game over, restart section. Why is this something I'm complaining about? Well, because when you hover over a friendly it comes up with their rank and name in green, only in the heat of the battle it doesn't appear quick enough. Sometimes you can release the trigger just in time, others you'll kill vital friendly troops, other times you'll kill a friendly and that's game over. Not a game breaker and it may be on purpose to make things harder, but it is there.

The panic at the end of that level Ezee, the camera work is sublime, just so good.

Honestly, this is almost too realistic looking and just like CoD2, the intensity is just so severe that I can only play a few hours at a time, it's just too much, the visuals, the sound, the concentration.

Oh and only played 1 game online (apart from the beta) and I already enjoy it more than Halo 3, though of course they are very different games.

It chucks achievements at you a bit, but I'm almost sure there are NO multiplayer ones. There are 2 that MIGHT be, but it might also be that I've not reached the stage in the game where they are relevant. Some of them don't appear to unlock though, the "kill 3 enemies consecutively with the knife" one didn't unlock for me, nor did the "rpg an enemy helo out of the sky" one, but they MAY be because they are story related as most of them (apart from a few) seem story related.

Comment

HOw long it lasts the single player campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                  This game does not hold your hand in any way shape or form. There's no sight changing to tell you, you are targetting an enemy, which leads me to my first complaint. The game is VERY brutal in that it requires great speed AND accuracy and in the heat of the moment you can pop the head off of a friendly and in SOME missions that is game over, restart section. Why is this something I'm complaining about? Well, because when you hover over a friendly it comes up with their rank and name in green, only in the heat of the battle it doesn't appear quick enough. Sometimes you can release the trigger just in time, others you'll kill vital friendly troops, other times you'll kill a friendly and that's game over. Not a game breaker and it may be on purpose to make things harder, but it is there.

The panic at the end of that level Ezee, the camera work is sublime, just so good.

Honestly, this is almost too realistic looking and just like CoD2, the intensity is just so severe that I can only play a few hours at a time, it's just too much, the visuals, the sound, the concentration.

It chucks achievements at you a bit, but I'm almost sure there are NO multiplayer ones.
                  I know what you mean about sometimes targeting and shooting/killing friendly personnel, I did that in the third mission twice! Luckily it didn't result game over or didn't make a huge difference but that is the only minor fault I can find in a really excellent game so far. The third mission is particularly brilliant, looks superb and plays superb. So much is going on yet there is no slowdown or anything, hats off to Infinity Ward. Special mention to the second mission especially the part where

you cut the power in a building before going in with your squad in night vision mode

and

easily dispatch some cowering/scared enemy soldiers.

Loved it! I hear that single player isn't that long but if each mission lives up to the quality of the ones I have done so far it wouldn't even matter. Brilliant Oh and Jebus I totally agree with you mate, superb camera work!

Comment

Hoo ho ho I hate you guys, I really want this now! I'm planning to sit and play it in one sitting on Friday if I can find the time.

Also, question regarding grenades throwing, in the demo for the PC, I remember I was having problems with throwing back enemy grenades in that it wouldnt always let you and sometimes you had to just run away from them, which is a bit of a pain. Any problems with it here?

First level is sounding excellent, cant wait to see it, I'm so hyped now!

Comment

argh, another one for list and I had no interest initially either.

Comment

Ok here is my 2c worth.

My internet limit was capped last night so I couldnt venture into multiplayer but given the beta was so excellent I know what to expect there. What did surprise me though is 18 player support. One of my biggest requests was at least 16 players given COD2 was 8 players and the beta was locked at 12... well they delivered and at 60fps as well.

Onto singleplayer and the only negative I will throw at it right out of the bag is its very short, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing to be honest. It was Melbourne Cup day here so I had a half day, picked COD4 up at lunchtime and headed home to play it in the afternoon... as of 9pm last night I had completed the campaign.

I decided to do what I did with COD2, which is to play through on Regular first and get a feel for the weapons, levels and checkpoints... and then do it all again in Veteran knowing the lay of the land. Well Regular is really easy guys and if you're adept at the game and finished COD2 on Veteran I would at least ramp it up to Hard first time through.

As for the game itself. The campaign is pure gold, from start to finish I dont think there is one level or section of the game I didnt enjoy thoroughly and there are many, many memorable moments that standout as a benchmark for the series.

Underneath the controls, AI and general flow of the game is very much in the same vein as COD2... for me that is a very good thing. That game was excellent so why break the formula. What has changed is the delivery of the story is far better in this and gets off to a flying start with an exceptional introductory piece shortly after the first level. There are also some nice shocks and changes of direction for the story in general and I doubt anyone would argue with the pacing or the quality.

...and thats it basically. Its short, but its oh so sweet in every sense and its shown up the likes of GRAW and Rainbow Six to some extent. I do wish it had co-op but I dont see that as a deal breaker. At the end of the day I think this is potentially game of the year and the multiplayer looks like it will have a long shelf life.

Top marks from me.

Comment

Oh and word of warning... keep your controller handy after the credits have rolled.

I went out for a smoke and came back to a surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post

Also, question regarding grenades throwing, in the demo for the PC, I remember I was having problems with throwing back enemy grenades in that it wouldnt always let you and sometimes you had to just run away from them, which is a bit of a pain. Any problems with it here?
                            It's pretty much how you describe it mate, I think there's a trick to it though.

Comment

Just finished the game campaign on regular and I must say it is rather special. Yes the game is short but when every mission oozes quality then that shortness can almost be forgiven. I presume everyone will have their favourite mission though, mine has to be the
                              one. It was tense, nervous and compelling, all in one. I loved the way the mission

went from slow and sneaky to fast and frenetic

, sheer brilliance. Gameplay aside this iteration of CoD even has a decent story, you feel some sort of affiliation with certain characters which couldn't really be said about previously. Graphics are very good although some missions/settings looking better than that others. I love the lighting on some of the levels and if you're a fan of 3D grass, you will be in heaven here The way it ends its pretty cool too, I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Oh and, as nonny mentioned, I recommend letting the credits roll after you have finished the game as you get a lil something extra which is pretty cool. It should be interesting how this Modern Warfare setting will evolve (if they continue with it) as Infinity Ward really do have something special in their grasp here! Big thumbs up from me
                              Last edited by ezee ryder; 07-11-2007, 13:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X