No announcement yet.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games [Wii & DS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how the DS version of this is? I'm tempted to pick it up.

Comment

Well nobody gave me any impressions (a pox on you all) so I went ahead and got the DS version. We don't need a separate DS thread, right? Can we amend the thread title to include it?

Anyway, I haven't played the Wii version but can't compare but I've heard it contains some different events but adds up to the exact same amount of events. That's all I can tell you in terms of comparison.

For the game itself, so far I like it. There are loads of events here and they are all really simple to get the hang of. But some of them aren't so easy to do really well at which is good. Already, I feel a real challenge in those mission events.

There's the running types (slide the stylus back and forth until your hand hurts), with some added things like having to worry about stamina on the longer ones or tapping at the hurdles and so on. They remind me very much of the joystick waggling of old.

Swimming events are quite similar. Cycling uses the L and R buttons as pedals and works surprisingly well. The hammer throw is a spinny circly stylus game and really enjoyable. Table tennis is basic but fun. Fencing seems a bit crappy. And I'm disappointed the animation in the trampolene events doesn't seem to depend on how you're doing. Both shooting and archery are great.

The ones I love right now are the directional events - javelin, long jump, triple jump and the like. You have to do your left/right to build up speed but the skill is really on getting that exact trajectory as close to the foul line as possible. Good fun. There's also added clapping with the mic to get the crowd going (happily, you can just tap the mic hole with the stylus and it does the job - I hate mic stuff).

16 characters - I think the same in the Wii version. They all look pretty great on the DS actually. The graphics are quite impressive for a DS game. The backgrounds are pretty dull as they are going for that Olympic feel rather than a Sonic/Mario feel. In fact, aside from the characters themselves, there is very little Sonic/Mario in here. They could have been anyone but then it worked as a marketing trick - I wouldn't have touched this without those icons on the cover.

Strangely, given that it's developed by Sega, the menus all seem entirely Mario-inspired. No hint of Sonic here at all.

Disappointed there is no online too.

But, overall, I'm pleasantly surprised here. It's quite a blast from the past and the events hold their own well beyond being minigames. This is good suff.

Comment

i just picked this up today
        am waiting for people to come round and then it will be played

Comment

Wii version?

Comment

I actually quite enjoyed this game for some innocent time killing fun (wii version). This goes in the pile of games for social occasions alongside mario party, wario ware etc. If you can pick it up cheaply, and I'm sure most people can, its definately worth it, even for a few hours of innocent wiimote pumping, sweaty wrist waggling fun with your mates. (Please don't read too closely into that description)

Comment

yeah the Wii version
              for what i have played i am enjoying it and it kills alot of time and it's very fun
              Edited at 22:26
              having played this with a bunch of people i have worked out this is a great game i am really having fun with this game there are thing to unlock and lots of stuff to do
              Last edited by hush; 01-06-2008, 21:21.

Comment

Working...
              X