No announcement yet.

"AAA" games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day, the question is: does it matter? If someone is dumb enough to buy a game simply because ill-informed members of the press, or marketing people have slapped a 'AAA' label on it, or referred to it as 'AAA', then they deserve all they get.

It's PR bull****. Fourth time I've said this now.

Comment

I wonder if we'll ever have CCC labelled games, for an aid of distinction in ultra-crapness.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
        I wonder if we'll ever have CCC labelled games, for an aid of distinction in ultra-crapness.
        Surely 'CCC' would be the ultimate definintion of mediocrity... But I don't think any PR agencies will willingly apply this Label to their own 'Products' (hnnnnnnnng.

I wonder if we'll ever see an 'AAAA', or and 'AAAAA' game.

After all, Hotels go up to 5 Stars.

- Corrupt Rose

Comment

What we need is the "Viewtiful Joe" skool of ratingness introduced
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Tell me if I'm being a dumb ass, whoa, not all at once!, but all of the games mentioned have been scored around the 9 mark. Therefore is it fair to say that all games around the 9 mark are 'AAA' (whatever than means)?

Just seems to me to be a scoring system that cannot be quantified, open to manipulation and subject to interpretaion. (ie it's a **** system and should be ignored).

Comment

Originally posted by Corrupt Rose
              I wonder if we'll ever see an 'AAAA', or and 'AAAAA' game.

After all, Hotels go up to 5 Stars.

- Corrupt Rose
              Don't. We don't want to be planting ideas in any heads out there. I can just see it though, if things continue with the current absurd approach to most PR.

Pratt Fall Poker 3: The Return Of Super Fred (the no. 1 rated AABCJJIOPD classed game)

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Point
                Just seems to me to be a scoring system that cannot be quantified, open to manipulation and subject to interpretaion. (ie it's a **** system and should be ignored).
                ...but it's the same grading "system" that came out from the mouths of the producers of GT3 and MGS2, if I'm not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                  Pratt Fall Poker 3: The Return Of Super Fred (the no. 1 rated AABCJJIOPD classed game)
                  Now you're just trying to prove your Hardcorosity by sneaking Rainbow Islands cheats into your jokes! Elitest! Burn! Etc!

But as ever, you know it's going to happen. NewSpeak agents are constantly having to come up with more and more hyperbolous terms to outdo the opposition, and whip up consumers Frothing Desire for their latest 'Product' (hnnnnnngh).

It's kind of like an arms race. It just escalates.

But anyway.

-Corrupt

Comment

But as ever, you know it's going to happen. NewSpeak agents are constantly having to come up with more and more hyperbolous terms to outdo the opposition, and whip up consumers Frothing Desire for their latest 'Product' (hnnnnnngh).

It's kind of like an arms race. It just escalates.
                    That's a good point and a massive failing in this industry.

People are constantly trying to out do or better each other, with little regard for any other approach. There aren't many out there who want to set a trend, break a trend, or simply just not follow a trend.

It would be refreshing to see, rather than overdrawn endless competition beating itself to a pulp, developers refuse to be drawn into such a cycle and create what they want regardless of what goes on around them.

But then, I suppose we don't live in an air-tight space. Everything is a product of its surroundings to some degree, but do these surroundings in the videogame industry heavily emphasis competition above all else?

Maybe it's an economic must to shout and spout about the virtues of Developer X's latest game. After all their Publisher needs to sell the concept and idea to the public at large...

So maybe it's our fault for buying into constant usage of this hyperbole termed ****e?

Blame is probably proportional on both sides of the fence here.

Comment

My definition of a AAA title is one usually with a fairly high profile that will sell quite a lot of copies, and may in the process cause people to also buy a system to play the game on. Most of Nintendo's output for example, would be listed as AAA for starters...
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                      X