Neo Geo CD Video Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo CD Video Problem

A friend of mine has recently bought a Neo Geo CD, and having just got a stepdown to use it has found that he can't get any video output. It came with normal composite cables, and it powers up and appears to play the games perfectly well, because the audio output is fine. I don't have the machine in front of me, so I've been trying to help sort it over the phone.

We've tried substituting the video phono lead for another known working one which made no difference.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem? Is there a way to force it to output via a certain connector on the back (e.g. s-video or a/v), or is it possibly a problem with the connection from the composite port to the motherboard?

It put outs video from both connectors, no forcing necessary. Is he able to try out the S-Video connector? If that doesn't work either, the video output is somehow shot (broken motherboard?).

Comment

If thats the case, it'll either be one of the connectors from the board in the ngcd has come loose, or its one of the ic's thats buggered....

Obviously if you bought it from someone, I'd return it before opening it up, and grab another working model. If your friends stuck with it, open it up and have a look around the av out sockets, the m'board connectors to see if theres any shorts/broken connections - and see if any of the video ic's heat up too much when its on.

Comment

The unit has 3 outputs. RCA, DIN (for RGB) and S-Video.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

As nem has already said, the signals for all three connections at the rear of the Neo Geo CD (A/V RGB, Composite Video & L + R Audio, S-Video) are all output simultaneously.

If he's getting sound then obviously it does appear to be (mostly!) functioning internally.. has he tried gently wiggling the phono around in its socket?

It would be better to try one of the other connections (A/V RGB, S-Video) the S-Video is a standard connection, but hardly anything uses it anymore, and not many TVs possess S-Video connections really.

If your friend is interested I could possibly supply him with a Stereo RGB Scart Cable, obviously if this works, it will also give a much better picture quality, and in full colour.

Comment

Working...
          X