No announcement yet.

Burnout Paradise (360 PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Paradise is somewhat a failure. At least considering how good some of the past games were. An open city just doesn't work very well in a game like Burnout. At least not when it's done like this. I have now played maybe 15 hours single player and a few hours multiplayer.

A missed turn often means a lost race. And it's very easy to miss a turn at top speed. (see below) In a situation like that you would normally restart the race and learn from your mistake. Not so here since you can't restart.

Part of the reason it's so easy to miss a turn is the navigation aid. It only shows a blinking street sign at the top of the screen before a turn and not a very visible turn signal on the car. Both are pretty hard to notice at top speed when you have tunnel vision. Even when you notice the turn signals it's a little hard to know where the turn exactly is. Why don’t they show a proper arrow for the turn and why isn’t the route marked on the map?

The town is pretty dull and lifeless. You got cars driving around, places to jump and signs to jump through. Style wise it's nothing special either. There's the uninspired city area and the somewhat larger rural area. Considering the size of the playing area there should have been more variety. The traffic is more random this time and not carefully planned as in the previous games. And why is everything bluish? Where's the colour?

All the single player game modes irritated me at some point. In the basic race you have to be first, any other position is a fail. That's irritating since it's so easy to make a mistake and as said you can't restart. At that stage DJ Atomica often desides to mouth off. Nice. And why are there only a few places that the race can end? Because of that, many races seem very similar.

Marked man is a nice idea but the realization doesn't quite fit Burnout. It's better to drive carefully than really fast. Also sometimes it's even a good idea to make a U turn to visit a repair shop. Burnout is supposed to be about driving way too fast not carefully.

In road rage you can drive freely since the opposition is everywhere. First you have to destroy only a few cars. In the next road rage event it's one more and so on. It takes a long time to get a decent challenge. At that stage you have to take down so many cars it's tiresome.

And Showtime REALLY is POS compared to past crash modes. What were they thinking? It's a total bore.

On the other hand getting new cars by finding them and taking them down is one of the best things in the game.

The ease of joining a multiplayer game is nice and in multiplayer the game does have some pretty imaginative challenges. Still, instead of trying a challenging jump etc. I‘d prefer to RACE. Missing turns plagues multiplayer races as well and the open city means there’s less contact with other players. Not nice.

Still, with all the negatives it’s been pretty fun so far. It’s still fun to drive way too fast, the handling is great and the whole thing runs at 60 fps.
    Last edited by HHarm; 23-01-2008, 13:16.

Comment

A question for those with it..

Can you turn the Takedown camera off? The one that flips the camera to show the opponent car smashing up before returning to your driving view again. You could on "Takedown" and "Revenge", and wondered if you could here too?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        What made you change your mind and "re-pre-order"?
        Word of mouth, a few of my online buddies picked it up and were having a riot, i got them to get me one too!! Plus being an early release was a bonus.

I ****ing love the game, map is easy to navigate around and once you learn the enviroment its even easier.

In races your told where to go and there are different sounds for both left and right. Anyone getting lost are clearly simpletons or not played the game enough.

Comment

Originally posted by HHarm View Post
          I think Paradise is somewhat a failure. At least considering how good some of the past games were. An open city just doesn't work very well in a game like Burnout. At least not when it's done like this. I have now played maybe 15 hours single player and a few hours multiplayer.

A missed turn often means a lost race. And it's very easy to miss a turn at top speed. (see below) In a situation like that you would normally restart the race and learn from your mistake. Not so here since you can't restart.

Part of the reason it's so easy to miss a turn is the navigation aid. It only shows a blinking street sign at the top of the screen before a turn and not a very visible turn signal on the car. Both are pretty hard to notice at top speed when you have tunnel vision. Even when you notice the turn signals it's a little hard to know where the turn exactly is. Why don?t they show a proper arrow for the turn and why isn?t the route marked on the map?

The town is pretty dull and lifeless. You got cars driving around, places to jump and signs to jump through. Style wise it's nothing special either. There's the uninspired city area and the somewhat larger rural area. Considering the size of the playing area there should have been more variety. The traffic is more random this time and not carefully planned as in the previous games. And why is everything bluish? Where's the colour?

All the single player game modes irritated me at some point. In the basic race you have to be first, any other position is a fail. That's irritating since it's so easy to make a mistake and as said you can't restart. At that stage DJ Atomica often desides to mouth off. Nice. And why are there only a few places that the race can end? Because of that, many races seem very similar.

Marked man is a nice idea but the realization doesn't quite fit Burnout. It's better to drive carefully than really fast. Also sometimes it's even a good idea to make a U turn to visit a repair shop. Burnout is supposed to be about driving way too fast not carefully.

In road rage you can drive freely since the opposition is everywhere. First you have to destroy only a few cars. In the next road rage event it's one more and so on. It takes a long time to get a decent challenge. At that stage you have to take down so many cars it's tiresome.

And Showtime REALLY is POS compared to past crash modes. What were they thinking? It's a total bore.

On the other hand getting new cars by finding them and taking them down is one of the best things in the game.

The ease of joining a multiplayer game is nice and in multiplayer the game does have some pretty imaginative challenges. Still, instead of trying a challenging jump etc. I?d prefer to RACE. Missing turns plagues multiplayer races as well and the open city means there?s less contact with other players. Not nice.

Still, with all the negatives it?s been pretty fun so far. It?s still fun to drive way too fast, the handling is great and the whole thing runs at 60 fps.
          Get online more fella, banter on live is where its at? or are you playin on your Ps3? Can you talk yet while playing on the ps3?

The game is sublime!

Comment

I have the PS3 version. It has the same mic and camera functions as the 360 version. I don't have a whole lot time to play per day so I'm looking for intensive & agressive racing and less banter & goofing around.

Comment

I have the PS3 version. It has the same mic and camera functions as the 360 version. I don't have a whole lot time to play per day so I'm looking for intensive & agressive racing and less banter & goofing around.
              Really? You forget what you posted earlier? As for same Mic and camera functions i take it there is none of this push to talk nonsense anymore on ps3 games?

I think Paradise is somewhat a failure. I have now played maybe 15 hours single player and a few hours multiplayer.

Comment

Give it a rest.

There's a reason I haven't yet been able to play the multiplayer side more.

If there are contradictions etc. in my post it's due to the fact that English isn't my native language.
                Last edited by HHarm; 23-01-2008, 16:27.

Comment

I myself didn't play much of the demo. Like others, i found the demo really restrictive. But what was there, was the excellent gameplay and i can imagine how great it is to play the full retail. It certainly is a huge jump from the really poor Test Drive Unlimited.

I ordered the 360 version as im sure it will be alot more fun getting the achievement points, i can expect to see some really creative achievements.

Apparently the game itself is suppose to look a little better on the ps3, which makes a change, considering the ps3 gets shafted in this regard.

Comment

Give it a rest.

There's a reason I haven't yet been able to play the multiplayer side more.
                    Aye you said before, you bought the ps3 version!!

If there are contradictions etc. in my post it's due to the fact that English isn't my native language.
                    Peace brother! No offence intended, you endured such a terrible game for over 15 hours on and offline and paid your money for it so your entitled to your opinion......... even if it is wrong!

Comment

Even though I made a big list of negatives I didn't say the game is terrible - just a disappoinment considering the past games. I'm a big fan of BO2 and I've also enjoyed BO3, Legends and Revenge. I just think that Paradise took a wrong turn. It's still fun.

Comment

It isn't Zooki's either

Comment

Picked up the 360 version from my local indie on Tuesday and finally got to try it for a couple of hours last night

Offline - initially a bit confusing trying to follow the map etc and as others have mentioned the no restart is a big mistake but after an hour or so you get to know bit of the city which makes it a bit easier. I quite like taking down the new cars, looking for shortcuts and finding ways to smash the billboards but still miss the preset crash junctions.

Online - had plugged in the vision camera before I started to get the full effect. Easy to get into and this is where it all comes together. Had a great time racing about with no lag and some scary pics coming across of my takedown rivals .

Its still Burnout just different but I think you do need to be online to get the most out of it

I have liked all the previous games (apart from Dominator) and was fairly disappointed with the demo

Comment

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, lack of a "retry" is a bit irritating but there is so much to do I really don't feel it's that much of an issue because as soon as you "fail" a race you are pretty much at another set of traffic lights and can try another.

Absolutely loved taking down my first new car, he was fast and I kept chasing then I finally nailed the git and it's all mine LOVE showtime as well, hit 2 million on one area with a 7x multiplier!

Having trouble with the standard races because of the size of the map and speed you are going, the blinking indicator noise didn't tell me much, I didn't even realise what it was for the first hour!

Had a massive smile on my face the entire time I was playing, just pure adrenaline fueled fun. Love it. Not even took it online yet either!!

I don't think this will last me months and months because I can see it getting samey, but in a world where I feel sometimes too much emphasis is put into multiplayer (not every one plays live everytime they play) I feel the single player is more than adequate and above all a ****ing good laugh!
                            Last edited by Jebus; 24-01-2008, 12:10. Reason: Edited my interesting spelling of "multiplier"

Comment

Glad to hear some positive thoughts on Showtime. I enjoyed Crash Mode in B2 (But it was far from my favourite mode) and what I've seen of it looks dull... maybe that'll change when I get my own mitts on it.
                              Last edited by Number45; 24-01-2008, 13:01.

Comment

Had a a long session on this yesterday (online and offline) and had loads of fun, especially with showtime! I spent hours with a mate last night online trying to beat each others top scores, so addictive. The offline stuff is also pretty good with enough events and unlockables to keep you going for a while. Saying that though, I can see people playing it just offline getting "bored" of it after a while, doing the same events over and over again with no online distraction might get a little tedious.

The only small gripes I have with the game are to do with the lack of a retry option if you fail a race and the map being hard to read sometimes but neither of them really spoilt my enjoyment of the game. It is not perfect game but in my opinion it is a step in the right direction for the Burnout series, the seamless integration of offline-online gameplay in a open world is brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                X