Sega Rally 2 (DC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Rally 2 (DC)

I've got a sudden urge to pick this up - I really enjoyed the Saturn version and I've been told this is even better. But which region should I buy?

I'd prefer the Jap one, but I've heard there are framerate issues with it (i.e. it belts along at 60fps most of the time, but drops to 30 in places) - how serious are they? And are the menus in English or Japanese?

Should I just go for the PAL version instead?

I had the JPN version but not tried the PAL one. The framerate drops weren't that bad - just the switch from one to the other being a bit jarring. It's not like it's dropping to 13fps or something. But I'd probably go pal.

Comment

Pal doesn't do full screen. I prefer the Jap one myself.

Comment

There's the option of US version don't forget!

Wasn't the US version ment to be the best for the framerates if I remember correctly?

Well anyway I was happy with my US version when I had it regardless of framerates.
        Last edited by Pilotwings; 18-02-2008, 09:10.

Comment

Just found out that the Jap version has English text, so I think I'll go for that one. I can put up with a few framerate wobbles, and it'll look nicer among all the DC shooters I've got.

Thanks all! Quick and helpful as ever.

Comment

"Game over YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
              Pal doesn't do full screen. I prefer the Jap one myself.
              also the Pal version is locked at 30fps at all times. this was implemented during the pal conversion due to the aformentioned framerate issues in the japanese original. still id go jap if i were you as at least your getting 60fps most of the time.

Comment

To this day it still puzzles me why Sega went for a WinCE port, as the Dreamcast was more than capable of running this arcade perfect with a stable 60fps if it was ported properly. I still want a proper home version of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                  To this day it still puzzles me why Sega went for a WinCE port, as the Dreamcast was more than capable of running this arcade perfect with a stable 60fps if it was ported properly. I still want a proper home version of this.
                  Rushed out for the launch i guess. still a great game though.

Comment

Jap version is the best IMO. But I just love the "Go Go Sega Rally!" song that was edited out of the western versions.

The NTSC versions allow you to enter a code to lock the frame rate to 60fps at the expense of graphical detail. But overall if you're expecting a package better than the Saturn Sega Rally I fear you'll be sorely dissapointed as imo Sega Rally 2 isn't a patch on the original (which I would rank as pretty much the finest racer even today).

One thing Sega Rally 2 still has in spades though, is that magical arcade feeling Sega games used to possess.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                      I've got a sudden urge to pick this up - I really enjoyed the Saturn version and I've been told this is even better?
                      Someone's telling you porkies mate. It's good but (IMO) can't touch the Saturn one which (again IMO) has the most sublime handling of any racer ever.

Comment

No prob. I picked up a mint copy for four quid on eBay just now, so it's no big loss if it turns out to be not quite as good as the Saturn one.

@MikeRox: Thanks for that tip. I've just looked it up on GameFAQs and might give it a try if the sudden framerate changes become irritating. (For anyone who doesn't know and doesn't want to search for it, it's: press Y or R at the track or mode selection screen to get a lo-res track with increased frame rate.)

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                          No prob. I picked up a mint copy for four quid on eBay just now, so it's no big loss if it turns out to be not quite as good as the Saturn one.

@MikeRox: Thanks for that tip. I've just looked it up on GameFAQs and might give it a try if the sudden framerate changes become irritating. (For anyone who doesn't know and doesn't want to search for it, it's: press Y or R at the track or mode selection screen to get a lo-res track with increased frame rate.)
                          Really, really weird but I think I just sold you that copy!

Comment

Yes, you did. Thanks very much - I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

As womble said - it is poor in comparison to the Saturn original.

Comment

Working...
                              X