Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was there a Jamma converter for the PC Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was there a Jamma converter for the PC Engine?

I was wondering about a long and distant memory...

Galaga88 is one of my all time fave games, and put lots of money into it over the years in Worthing Arcade!

I bought the PC Engine version a few years back, (Sold now) and it was 100% as I expected.

Then I saw a screen shot of the Arcade version for sale on Ebay, and it said "To start push only 1 player button" on the title screen:

But I remember it saying "Push Run to start" just like my PC Engine:

Is my old memory playing tricks on me? Or is it possible some kind of hack allowed arcade owners to connect a PC Engine to a Jamma Board, with "Credit" device?

The Arcade cab was sometimes "Tiger Heli" and sometimes "Galaga88" and it was only the game that changed, not the cab.

Did such a device exist?

There was yes.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Twas a third party mod with the blessing of NEC - someone asked the same question a few years back - have a look here

Comment

Sweet!

"United Amusement PC-Engine based hardware"

So there you go.... My memory was right, and I was in fact playing PC Engine games at the time.

What a great little console. Games so arcade perfect, you could replace Jamma boards with $50 Hu Cards.

Must have been a great little earner for the Arcade pier.

Comment

There is a CVG news article reporting this from the time also circa 1989, those were the days.

Comment

Working...
          X