No announcement yet.

Building a Retro Corner, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I think the N64 deserves 4 controllers more than any other "retro" console if you have people for multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotwings View Post
      Personally I think the N64 deserves 4 controllers more than any other "retro" console if you have people for multiplayer.
      I'd agree with that. Just for mario kart, goldeneye, and perfect dark!

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
        I'd agree with that. Just for mario kart, goldeneye, and perfect dark!
        Also if you want more- Excite bike!, Mario tennis, Smash bros , Bman 64 ,MM turbo, diddy kong etc etc.

Comment

Totally agreed, an N64 is most certainly a priority for me. The Virtual Console sucks due to the games being over-priced, niether the classic or cube controller do a good job or mimicing the old trident and of course the widescreen switching.

Comment

I forgot about mario tennis. I'd say along with the others I first posted, they are about the only 4 player games we bothered with, because they were so good. We used to have a ritual on monday nights. In Aberdeen there was a great rock/indie club called the Mudd Club, and we used to start early at my house and all pile into my room for pre club beers and N64. Amazing days on mario kart and perfect dark in particular. Even my non gamer friends got right into it.

Comment

get a modded wii, u can get discs with every nes, snes master system megadrive, turbo grx game on it, and vc for your n64 needs, neo geo ect

+ all the best current games on wii also i highly reccomend a dreamcast,

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotwings View Post
                PS2 vs dreamcast - choose
                saturn vs 64 - choose
                snes vs megadrive - choose
                Dreamcast over PS2.. anyday
                Saturn over N64.. anyday
                SNES AND Megdrive! You don't have choose dude

I recommend a SCART switcher with nice clicky buttons to change between sockets. Anything without is a piece of carp and should be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by chaoticjelly View Post
                  SNES AND Megdrive! You don't have choose dude
                  You know those dodgy consoles from Hong Kong that play SFC and FC games? Well why don't they make one that plays SFC and MD games instead? That would be the most awesome console ever!!!

Comment

Since you like your shooting games then get House of the Dead III for Xbox, you unlock House of the Dead 2 by playing the game aswell, and light gun(s) can be pretty cheap on eBay.

Comment

Just a quick note : I'm not sure why many posters here suggested choosing between machines of, roughly, the same generation. I honestly think it's a much, much better idea to just buy all the machines, rgb-modded and region free if possible, just to get the hardware part over with, as choosing between them is impossible: all of the retro machines have a specific "software profile" and, as such, there's no machine better than others. It's all a matter of software choices and personal preferences. I myself don't find it unreasonable to have a retro console only to be able to play two or three games on it (my NG Pocket, for instance).

Then you can start reading up on the software available for your machines, start testing stuff via emulators etc. : this'll allow you to pick the games you're interested in - buy only those. Works for me so far (well, more or less)!

If you ask me, "complete" collections are a bit pointless - unless, of course, the pleasure you find in chasing down the occasional rarity is greater than the headaches you'll get playing crap games, or finding out where to stow them :-).
                      Last edited by Swaain; 25-02-2008, 09:32.

Comment

Working...
                      X