This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telegraph forced to issue correction over Boris Johnson’s false claim
    "Johnson claimed that the UK is set to “become the largest and most prosperous economy in this hemisphere”, a projection which was based on the "columnist’s own extrapolation of the data".

This is the third time this year that the Daily Telegraph has been forced to issue a correction to material by Johnson, who was paid £275,000 a year for his column.

In April the newspaper was forced to correct his claim that a no-deal Brexit was the most popular option among the British public, while this summer it partially corrected his claims about a convicted drug dealer."

Fave tweet responses:
    "Amazing that as a journalist he is compelled to apologise for lying, but as leader of a country, he is able to say whatever he wants with no consequence."

Comment

The media in the UK is a huge problem and needs to be held accountable for just repeating what politicians have told them or, worse, by giving them column space. You are being lied to. Repeatedly and regularly and most people know this and yet it still has an effect because the lies are being repeated again and again and are all over front pages where people can't really miss them. It leads to an uninformed and misinformed public and many of the politicians know this and are tied into the media, like Johnson, using this for their own gain. And that's why they lie so shamelessly - because they know the media will print the lies and that gives the lies more power than the truth even if the truth is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        The media in the UK is a huge problem and needs to be held accountable for just repeating what politicians have told them or, worse, by giving them column space. You are being lied to. Repeatedly and regularly and most people know this and yet it still has an effect because the lies are being repeated again and again and are all over front pages where people can't really miss them. It leads to an uninformed and misinformed public and many of the politicians know this and are tied into the media, like Johnson, using this for their own gain. And that's why they lie so shamelessly - because they know the media will print the lies and that gives the lies more power than the truth even if the truth is obvious.
        This is a widespread problem, not just in politics, but in the media in general.

There's a sense in the media that they don't want to "bite the hand that feeds"; whereas the rest of us believe they should never have taken being fed in the first place.

Comment

Nothing to see here. Please disperse. Nothing to see here.

No 10 refuses to release document on Russian interference on the Brexit referendum - https://www.theguardian.com/politics...after-election

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            In this instance it's an opinion piece by Johnson.

But folks need to understand the difference between opinion pieces and reporting the news. If Johnson says "I'm giving £20 megasquillion to the NHS", and the papers report that "Johnson said he's giving £20 megasquillion to the NHS" - they are reporting what Johnson said, not whether it's factually correct. The Guardian often has a side bar with "Fact Check" next to the main article.

A lot of the accusations of bias in the BBC are based around this lack of distinction: The BBC generally does not do opinion pieces in the news programmes (and it's why the Naga Munchetty Trump comment saga arose).

Some media does blur the lines on these distinctions though, printing things in news articles such as "the liar Corbyn said ...." etc.

Comment

What continues to crack me up (read: fear for the future of humanity) was that I grew up with my parents telling me not to believe everything I read. Now I'm skeptical about practically everything and my parents' generation are saying people shouldn't vaccinate their kids.

Comment

And that's the problem right there. The difficulty with media literacy in this case is that you can mistrust everything (and probably should) but that doesn't help you actually ascertain what's right. The onus should be on those reporting to fact check and challenge. So reporters shouldn't be allowed just quote something that is clearly wrong without noting that it's clearly wrong. The internet opens the door wide open to misinformation so the more mainstream media has much more responsibility now than ever to actually check facts. It's that quote that was going around a while back about quoting two people who give two different reports on what the weather is - it's the journalist's duty to open the window and look for themselves... it was put better in that thing going around.

Personally, I feel most tabloids should have to have a huge label on the front declaring them a work of fiction. And then explaining what the word 'fiction' means for most of their actual readers.

I once heard media literacy described as a sort of flak jacket or bulletproof vest needed in our modern age. And that's kind of right but, to run with that idea, a flak jacket might save your life but the ideal solution would be to stop people shooting at you.
                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 04-11-2019, 17:46.

Comment

Fracking can SAAAARK ma KNAAAAB.

Comment

(Apols, I'm off my tits and being a troll).
                    Last edited by JazzFunk; 04-11-2019, 20:46.

Comment

Burgers soon, and singed n' crispy.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        I’d vote for you.

Comment

The whole rules around the press need changing. The concept of freedom of the press is a joke, papers should be free to post stories and investigation exclusives etc without fear but should be required to do so with a sense of objectivity and proven fact checking. The second they're allowed to push their opinion as fact they're no longer the press and instead are propaganda. No acting politician should be allowed a column either.

Comment

Because you can trust a Tory promise. Since 2015 the number of the 200,000 promised starter homes that were to be built that have actually been built totals the grand number of... 0

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              To be fair, that could also describe Michael Gove.

Comment

Gove restates that the transition period will not be extended beyond the end of 2020. It continues to be beyond frustrating as to how bad Johnson's rivals are at calling him out on his BS. No transition extension = tricking the UK into No Deal, this should be another thing front and centre during a GE.

Meanwhile Gove says claims a US-UK trade deal with Trump would cost the NHS £500m a week is rubbish. He's right on this one of course - because the UK won't get a trade deal with the US, another point Johnson's rivals continue to fail to convey the reality of.

Comment

Working...
                                X