No announcement yet.

Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks ok, but I’m not impressed by this Cherry, looks a bit flimsy and uninteresting for a playable character for me, it’s interesting how they have combos on it now, but still no block button... I wonder if Axel can run still like in SOR3?

Music sounds ok, it has a harder sound to it now...

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun. The music sounds like Koshiro’s contemporary stuff.

Comment

Looks great. Appears to play well, too. I liked the music. I’m sure they’ll fix up the sound effects because they were all over the shop.

I was wondering what it would be like if baddies remained on the floor instead of flickering and disappearing. There’s enough memory available to do that, I think. Imagine playing on Mania with bodies sprawled everywhere!

Comment

I’m confused. Why does it look ****e? Is it because the sprites aren’t identical to the originals?

They move the same. The backgrounds are detailed. The music is decent. If this had been showcased in 1995 I doubt it would enjoy such vehement hatred. It looks like a slightly modernised homage. I’m not really sure what people want?

In the interests of balance, the sound effects for strikes are dreadful.

Comment

Yeah, I found the SFX a little odd - particularly the one that sounds like a 'level down' kind of thing when they were taking hits. I'm assuming there's some gameplay mechanic that's related to it?

Aside from that though, I think it's looking great. I actually quite like the visual style, and it looks like it plays well. Definitely interested to give it a shot when it's released.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              I’m confused. Why does it look ****e? Is it because the sprites aren’t identical to the originals?
              Because apparently it looks like a Flash game, even though no one makes those any more.

Comment

Adam returns.

He actually looks good and I'm saying that as somebody who isn't generally a fan of SoR4's art-style. Colour me intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  Because apparently it looks like a Flash game, even though no one makes those any more.
                  It has a 'clip art' art style. Apparently, that's how 2D graphics have to look in HD. I don't agree with that point of view, because people, especially with modern tech and software, are free to draw graphics any way they want.

Some people might like the really clean and basic 'clip art' style. It's not my cup of tea, and lots of people feel the same.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-12-2019, 21:33.

Comment

I'm not fond of the graphics style, it's not that they're ugly but it's just not the style that matches the rest of the series. I'm not saying they should look like the original games but I think it would be better if it looked a bit like some of the old sketches.

Here's some artwork from the Bare Knuckle 2 manual:

I think it would be pretty cool if it looked like that!

That said, it does look like it plays properly and I'm willing to give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      It has a 'clip art' art style. Apparently, that's how 2D graphics have to look in HD. I don't agree with that point of view, because people, especially with modern tech and software, are free to draw graphics any way they want.

Some people might like the really clean and basic 'clip art' style. It's not my cup of tea, and lots of people feel the same.
                      Fair enough if you don’t like it, but it hardly looks like clip art! I think the animation in this has been done with a lot of care.

I’m definitely looking forward to giving this game a good rattle, it’s great it’s been brought back.
                      Last edited by wakka; 10-12-2019, 22:46.

Comment

Haha.

Clip aaht
                        Y'make ma fliiip aaht
                        Ah'm gonna fliiip nowd
                        An ged ma deeg owd

Comment

(Lyrics (C) DJ Maximum 1993)

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Of course people can draw graphics any way they want. People can also draw with a pen and paper any way they want. No one is saying that 2D graphics have to look like that in HD. But if a company wants to make a 2D game at HD resolution and profit from it, this is probably what it'll look like. Poo-poo it all you want, but your cloud cuckoo land thinking is not economically viable.

A balance has to be drawn(pun intended).

And it's not a 'clip art' art style. Clip art is deliberately simple so that whatever it represents is easy to figure out.

Comment

Except that's not true, there are loads of hd games with an 8 bit blocky style of gfx.

Comment

All I'll say is, if you want to see what was/is possible with 2D graphics, look at King of Fighters 13.

Comment

Working...
                                X