Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    It's why I wish the big publishers would help indie devs produce top quality digital-only games. Fostering the creation of all sorts of games away from the mainstream blockbuster hits would really boost creativity within the industry. It would also lead to some 'big hits' that take people by surprise. The indie scene is fertile ground for creativeness -- but financial and development help from big publishers would be beneficial.
    Some publisher are lending help to indies and looking for new submissions.

EA have EA Originals which has published/funded indies, Unravel 1&2, A Way Out, Fe which are all out now via the programme.

Sea of Solitude is coming soon.

Square Enix have the collective programme, which has helped get indies to market and more specifically has given smaller indies marketing help from square and community management/engagement.

Square Enix Collective, a division of Square Enix Ltd based in UK, focus on investing into teams and games and working with developers to get their games distributed digitally.

Also platform holders have their own programmes, MS have ID@Xbox, Nintendo have Nindies and Sony did ‘Heart’ indies a few years ago but focus shifted when key staff left, they certainly have the user base required for indies to release to but they are no longer helping or actively promoting indies unless it’s a PSVR focused title.

Comment

Yeah this is very much a thing that is already happening. See also: Sega Searchlight, Take Two Private Division.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I don't think a big publisher selling boxed copies would be happy with 1 million copies sold. An indie team working for a smaller publisher would be happy with 1 million copies sold digital-only..
        I'm not so sure on a game like Motorstorm

It's why I wish the big publishers would help indie devs produce top quality digital-only games. Fostering the creation of all sorts of games away from the mainstream blockbuster hits would really boost creativity within the industry. It would also lead to some 'big hits' that take people by surprise.
        They do. Microsoft and SONY have even 3rd parties like Namco or even Electronic Arts look to publish and fund indie; I remember Little Nightmares getting a big push from Namco. I think part of the trouble is, while an Arcade racer looks and seems a simple thing to design, only a select few developers are good and capable enough to pull it off...

And sadly SEGA or Namco aren't showing any interest

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
          Some publisher are lending help to indies and looking for new submissions.

EA have EA Originals which has published/funded indies, Unravel 1&2, A Way Out, Fe which are all out now via the programme.

Sea of Solitude is coming soon.

Square Enix have the collective programme, which has helped get indies to market and more specifically has given smaller indies marketing help from square and community management/engagement.

Square Enix Collective, a division of Square Enix Ltd based in UK, focus on investing into teams and games and working with developers to get their games distributed digitally.

Also platform holders have their own programmes, MS have ID@Xbox, Nintendo have Nindies and Sony did ‘Heart’ indies a few years ago but focus shifted when key staff left, they certainly have the user base required for indies to release to but they are no longer helping or actively promoting indies unless it’s a PSVR focused title.
          It seems much more promising knowing this sort of stuff is going on. I'd love to see lots more creators of more 'niche' games being supported by the big publishers. It would really benefit the industry to foster smaller devs who want to create indie sort of games.

There are probably lots of people who want to create what are now considered 'old school' style games but they don't feel the industry will support them. So we're not getting loads of top quality shoot 'em ups, arcade racers, 2D platformers and abstract arcade style games. Instead you have a few truly good indie games surrounded by lots of mediocre or poor titles. I think we'd see more quality examples if the industry was wiling to foster more talent.

Sea of Solitude looks very interesting. I have to say the art looks incredibly good.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I'm not so sure on a game like Motorstorm
          When I think about it, MotorStorm is such a top quality game that it would be difficult for your average indie dev to deliver something so special. Even with PS4/PS5 tech, you can't just create something as solid as MotorStorm. I've played a few copycat titles that really pale in comparison to what MotorStorm and Pacific Rift offer. They are still impressive games.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I think part of the trouble is, while an Arcade racer looks and seems a simple thing to design, only a select few developers are good and capable enough to pull it off...

And sadly SEGA or Namco aren't showing any interest
          I think even devs within the indie scene don't tend to think old school arcade action and racing games are worth creating. You can see that the best indie developers usually opt to create 2D platformers with an old school vibe, or very artistic creations that are story driven.

Of course, you get some excellent arcade-style games such as Nex Machina and Polybius, but a lot are pretty weak and uninspiring. It's not easy to create a top quality game, even if it has an old school vibe. I think more support from the big publishers to help the creation of games with a retro vibe would really help. We'd probably get far more quality examples.

I'm sure that OutRun3 and Ridge Racer 8 would sell pretty well on 'digital marketplaces'. The cost of development would be nothing next to the likes of GT Sport and Forza Horizon. So Sega and Namco could probably make a tidy profit. More publishers need to cash in on the retro market and the general desire for games with an old school flavour on digital marketplaces. I think publishers should be taking more advantage of digital and delivering far more low cost, simpler games that lots of people want to go alongside all the big blockbuster games they own. I think lots of gamers crave variety, but publishers can be very small-minded and think all gamers want is GTA, Battlefield, Forza, and COD.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-04-2019, 19:37.

Comment

Ridge Racer 8 is already out. It's called Ridge Racer Unbounded and shows you what Namco decided to do with the franchise

I don't see why Sega couldn't have Sumo make a new Outrun game without Ferraris. We'd all know what's going on and buy it anyway. But it probably won't sell as much as they'd like. In fact, I wonder if OutRun Online sold enough when it was available.

As TA said, getting a racing game to feel right is not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Ridge Racer Unbounded

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              I don't see why Sega couldn't have Sumo make a new Outrun game without Ferraris. We'd all know what's going on and buy it anyway. But it probably won't sell as much as they'd like. In fact, I wonder if OutRun Online sold enough when it was available.

As TA said, getting a racing game to feel right is not easy.
              They've had Sumo making all the Sonic racing games, that are obviously based on how OutRun 2 plays. It made sense to make a cartoony version of OutRun 2 based in the Sonic/Sega universe. I really like them.

I think an OutRun game should definitely have licensed sports cars. The Ferrari brand is important to OutRun -- especially as #2 had loads of different Ferrari models.

I'd actually like Sega to expand things to include other car manufacturers. It would be fun to have Ferrari vs. Porsche etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...2020-sony-says

Sony does the world a favour and says what common sense doesn't always say for many - Playstation 5 will not launch before May 2020 at the earliest
                So why do we have this thread already again?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  So why do we have this thread already again?
                  To talk about expectations and hopes for the PS5 and the next generation in general. It's all food for thought. Yum yum!

Comment

Titanfall 3 and Ridge Racer 8, ps5 are launch games....i’d Never need to buy another ps5 game again!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      Ridge Racer 8
                      If there were a great Ridge Racer 8 available at the PS5 launch, I'd buy the machine. It's the sort of thing that would make me splash the cash.

If Nintendo create a new F-Zero for the next Switch, I'll buy one. I'd have a Switch if there were a new F-Zero or Mario Kart 9.

I don't think my taste in games is so niche that the games I want aren't viable. I know what I like isn't what you'd call 'mainstream' but there are plenty of gamers these days who hanker after top quality old school style gaming.

Gaming is very much postmodern now, so there's plenty of money to be made catering to all sorts of tastes. It's been proven that games that don't conform to popular modern templates can succeed these days. I just hope Namco and Sega etc... wake up to this fact and really diversify their output. Not every games needs to be a huge budget blockbuster that aims to sell 5+ million copies.

Comment

Some effort this..

Comment

Nicely done that. Would be nice if they went back to systems that actually look like consoles!

Comment

That looks awful.

Comment

If you look at it and the literal first word in your head is 'fake' then you know it's a design fail.

This with an LED light on it, that's what people should be setting their expectations at.

Comment

A thread on ResetEra suggests that the recently announced PlayStation Productions are working on a Twisted Metal TV show.

Sony is setting up a studio specifically focused on developing films and television series based on Playstation properties. Rumoured to be one of the first projects is a TV series based on the Twisted Metal series. Doubtful that's true.

Comment

Working...
                                X