R-Type Command (PSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R-Type Command (PSP)

I always wanted to try the strategic spin-off of R-Type, but being a strategic game I never attempted to play the JPN version, being afraid of losing something between the sea of kanji that would have filled the game.
    Fortunately enough Atlus know how to please me and they even released a demo of the game.

Instead on relying on square tiles, RTC uses hexes allowing players to move their units diagonally. The demo doesn't allow to assign different pilots to the ships you're provided but it should be an option of the final version, so I think that units will gain experience, level up and such if they survive the current mission.

The structure is quite standard, you move your units and when you're finished you pass your turn to the enemy, the Bido forces. Different units have different movement profiles and weapons (though everyone has the standard vulcan laser) plus hit points and fuel reserve.
    Ships from the R-9 series (the demo feature the Arrowhead, War Head, Grace Note, Night Owl, Bomber and Achilles variants as friendly units - Bido ships like the Amphibian are featured as enemies) are actually formations of that ship class (I guess it represent a single player and its lives ) and each ship represent an hit point; a formation can have a maximum of 5 ships/hit points and can be repaired by capital ships, service crafts or docking bays - a feature that is absolutely useful as just like in the original game you have an handful of units against a much larger army led by a much angrier foe.
    Larger crafts (like capital ships or bosses) have hit points and they don't lose any combat effectivness until destroyed.
    POW armors can replenish your ammo and fuel supplies, but they cannot provide you Force devices (nor they can be destroyed by friendly fire, if not by wave cannons). In fact, Force devices are quite rare and are an incredibly strong asset in your fleet and you must treasure them: they cannot be repaired and provide all ship the heavy weapons they need to face the aliens.

It's nice to see that different kind of ships can use different kind of Force devices and each Force device grants different lasers: for example Force-As give arrowheads the standard lasers found in R-Type while Force-Ds give the ability to block incoming missile attacks. They can also ram the enemies for massive damage but they aren't invincible as in the shoot'em'ups.

Some ships also have special abilities, including special weapons: the Warhead can "desynch", giving it a movement boost at the expense of extra fuel per turn, the Bomber has a giant nuclear missile and each ship type has a different wave cannon, though all of them damage everything on their path, including friendly units. Ouch. Haven't really understood why the Achilles can't transform at will, but at least it can liberate docking bays in its bipedal form.

Graphics are extremely nice, though battle animations are too slow, even slower than Fire Emblem's own and they take a few seconds to load - from the MMS, I hope load times from the UMD are the same or the game will drag even longer. In fact, once I saw how battles go I disabled them from the option menu, without them the game is much more enjoyable has there aren't pauses between movements.

Unfortunately, the game mechanics borrow from the shoot'em'up, so the rhythm is rather slow; this worked well for the original game, but as a strategy game, it feels too cumbersome.
    Ships need fuel and although they would just float on the map when they ran dry, having POWs and service crafts running around to replenish them is a chore, especially because most maps have choke points that limit mobility and the number of crafts that can pass through.
    Not to mention that these points are usually guarded by Gaints and other units equipped with wave cannons.
    Add an incredibly thick fog of war, relatively low movement rates for all ships and you get a game where some turns are spent trying to find the enemy.
    AWACSs help, but they are incredibly fragile and once gone you're basically blind and you don't want to have your fighter run into ambushes because the ambusher gets a free attack phase, even during the opponent's turn.

However, the demo is kind enough to let you recover from some errors without having to begin the mission again, and the full version will have a quicksave feature (or that's what the menu hints), so I suspect that the game will hammer your forces without mercy in the later missions.

The demo features a training mission, a mission that seems to be set in R-Type II's second stage with a naval destroyer as you flagship and then the first R-Type stage, with an old acquittance as final boss.

It's nice to see Irem doing something different for the R-Type franchise and actually giving some tactical sense to the huge number of ships found in R-Type Final, but I fear that as a strategic game R-Type Command won't be a great game, but just some sort of bait for fans of R-Type and strategy games.
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 13-05-2008, 19:07. Reason: changed title

And so the full version reached my PSP. Played the first three missions, and I can basically confirm what I've thought of the demo.

The game successfully brings the relatively slow-paced action of the original to the strategy genre, but where R-Type was good because it had that slow pace, as a strategy game it feels a bit sluggish.
    Probably it's mainly due to the loading times between everything: from the main menu to the mission menu, from the mission map to a battle cutscene, switching back and forth between the deployment screen and the map overview...everything loads from the UMD; loads are not excessively long and the battle cutscene could benefit from a shorter and more dynamic approach, but especially during battles turning animations off helps considerably in making the game faster and more enjoyable.

The R&D option is available after the first mission and allows the player to purchase the units he wants as longs there are enough materials and some requirements have been met (like salvaging technologies on the battlefield).
    There are various types of Force devices, support crafts, fighters and even capital ships to build, and all of them are from previous R-Type games. I don't think the game has the same number of R-9 ships as Final did but there's the standard Arrowhead, the Midnight, the Grace Note, the Achilleus and so on, every ship with its highs and lows.
    It's good to see that most unit fit well in this hex-based strategy game, although cheap tactics like spamming Striders and their nuclear missiles work well in all occasions.

Pilots also gain experience (one point for each kill); I don't really know what this do but I guess it's a good way to make players care about their units if the rewards are worth it.

R-Type Command takes some time to get used to, so playing the demo is a good start to begin the full game with some knowledge on its mechanics, as there is no tutorial and even the first mission can be difficult if you don't have a grasp of the game mechanics, like how the Force devices works, how long the wave cannon takes to charge and so on.

Comment

Thread revival!

R-Type Command and Castle Shikigami III are the games eating up my time, but while I haven't much more to say about CSIII, RTC is worth an other couple of words.

One of the highlights of the game is the R&D menu, where you can buy the ships you want to manage the fleet. New ships are unlocked by progressing through the game (as capital vessels) or by collecting one of more containers scattered on maps (R-9 ships and derivates).
      Capital vessels are fun : the first capital ship you get is a transport with limited movement and only a vulcan for self-defense, cruisers are a bit more fun as the have a bow wave cannon, bridge and hull guns and can travel faster than your initial freighter; dreadnought have missiles, lasers, a wave cannon, can carry 5 units and travel as fast as cruisers: they cost a lot of resources and occupy a lot of hexes, but on larger maps you can deploy multiple capital vessels and see them exchanging blows with their Bydo counterparts. It's something new to the R-Type universe and give the game a little break on the "wait for the wave cannon to be charged" (or "wait for the POW armor to replenish the Strider") gameplay some missions have.

All fighters are took from R-Type Final; extravagant ships like the Hakusan are not present, but fighters like the Daedalus are present and work differently than force-capable fighters like the Warhead or the Principalities, which, however, remain the most flexible choice throughout the game, as the force can move on its own and dock with them to improve protection and enable the weapons found in R-Type games as power-ups.
      Some fighters like the Future World cannot dock with Force devices but have some special abilities like firing harvester missiles that convert enemies in Bydogen (one of the three resource required to build unit) and/or moving after firing.

Getting resources is done by harvesting asteroids found during the missions themselves through the use of Construction Machines; if the map has unused bases, you invest these resources to repair them and use them as additional docking bays during that mission only. Unfortunately resources are hard to come by, and sometimes you are forced to play a particularly resource-rich map more than twice to rack up enough materials to build a new vessel or upgrade existing ships, something that the game expects you to do as it will use some nasty surprises during certain missions...Dekteratops and Gomander are met during the single player campaign, but new Bydo ships that make the original level 4 Battleship look small abound later in the game.
      Also, as I already said the fog of war is very heavy and while the Bydo can spare more than one unit is scouting (they also regenerated 1 HP per turn, so they can take a stray shot or two) while using more than one pilot on a Midnight Eye (recon craft) usually means that you won't have enough firepower to evade from tight spots without losing any of your crafts.

Lost units are automatically replaced at the end of each mission with no resource expenditure, which is good, and the large number of enemies on each map makes wasteful use of units particularly damaging, though there are no other effects outside the current mission.
      As pilots and Force remotes cannot be built as equipment can, this is good, however granting the player a constant stream of pilots and more resource while eliminating ships and pilots forever once lost could have deepened the tactical aspect of the game, as uncoordinated efforts would have made quicky crumble your front line.

Unfortunately, the game is still slow after getting used to its system. Maps are big enough for the intended movement capabilities, but in certain missions terrain is composed mostly by asteroid fields that need to be destroyed to advance or severly reduce movement rates, not to mention that even with random battle cutscenes the system tends to load useless one (yeah, I'm really interested to see how my dreadnought will fare against a stationary chunk of ice 6 hexes away, while fighters exchanging wave cannon bursts are sooo boring...) that require considerable loading times...which are the real Achilleus' heel of the game.

It's by no means a bad game, but it could have used a bit more polish and a faster pace...huge fleet battles are fine, but during Bydo turns (especially the first turns when you need to find your enemy) you can expect even a full minute while the AI moves its fleet, which is not good for a portable game, thus confirming my first impressions of the game.

Comment

Cheers again B.K.

Received the game a week or so ago (no toy, boohoo VG+) but haven't played it yet, mostly due to GTAIV and not owning a psp yet. Can't wait to play it though, even took the intruction manual to work. Bring it on Bydo scum.

Most niggles in your write up don't bother me much apart from the loading times. This is my biggest gripe (silly menu interface design coupled with loading screens) with pretty much all of Irems latest games though so it kinda comes expected. That it kinda hurts the flow and feel of the game is a real shame as the rest of the games package is totally mega awesome. The slow pace of the game and multitude of R-typeness will suit this middle aged dude just fine

Comment

Originally posted by Shibusawa jr. View Post
          Received the game a week or so ago (no toy, boohoo VG+)
          That's an EB Games exclusive, other retailers hadn't any preorder bonuses, like a lot of other things.

Comment

Space Corps missions completed! 30 missions in total, it's a long campaign and it's only half, as there are other 30 (I think) missions on the Bydo side.
            Transition from Earth to Bydo is more or less what I've thought (

if you played R-Type Final and saw all endings you can guess it...your fleet gets swallowed by the Bydo core and "resurrects" as a Bydo trying to get back to Earth

), what I didn't expect from the two missions I've played "on the other side" is that these missions are mostly defensive missions instead of being offensive as they were with the Space Corps. As the Bydo campaign basically backtracks the path done with the humans, I've also feared that maps would have still be the same...luckily it's not; well, not every map is new, but it's good to see that some of them have been changed to reflect the different nature of Bydo units, which can heal 1 HP per turn by spending extra fuel and don't have any recon unit and must take advantage of every line of sight obstacle to ambush the enemy.

The flow of extra artwork is constant, as are new units, so interest is kept high throughout the game; although hard to miss, some missions contain spoils to further advance unit technology or contain documents...unfortunately these documents are just icons in the spoils menu, but what they should say is easily understood by playing the game (like the

4th Bydo document found in the last missionon why they are attacking Earth

).

Now, I told myself that before the 17th of June (Etrian Odyssey II...oh if I want that game) I should have at least finished the human campaign, which I did, but now I'm really curious to see the Bydo campaign to its end, especially to see how some missions are handled...

in human's mission 9 you basically win by defending some turns a huge solar laser (think Z Gundam) and then firing it, so dodging asteroids to avoid the huge laser after a while should prove interesting

, especially because the Bydo's most powerful units (Tablock and Gains) aren't as versatile as some R-9s are.

While I've wrote a lot about the game's slow pacing, let me tell what positively struck me once more, as I never really did.
            Graphics: loading times and animations aren't exactly spectacular, but just like R-Type Final, Command has a large number of little details and special effect that make the game look absolutely gorgeous, especially if you remove the hexgrid from the map.
            Terrain: while it's often the thing that slows down the game the most, later maps feature intricate and beautifully designed maps that force the player to make the most out of their units; while this is something that you notice during the first missions, I never told this as I wanted to be sure that everything was per designers' choice, not just good luck on their part.
            Some maps have moving obstacles the further enhace the focus on unit positioning, being them natural obstacles or enemies from the R-Type universe.
            Unit balancing: even if both sides have their cheap units (Strider, Tropical Angel, Gains Mk.II and Mk.III), the effect of certain types of terrain (which reduces damage from lasers) and anti-missile fire (available to most units under different forms) often balance things out, once again forcing players to chose the best units to use against other while thinking where they are and not only what they are
            Subtle tactics: probably I've go it a bit too late in the game, but using Force devices to wreak havoc on enemy units using their ram attack is, simply, put, too good not to be used and extremely satisfying, especially once you get your hands on Anchor Forces

All in all, the more I play, the more I appreciate the game, which probably it's its biggest flaw, not being able to show of good it is unless played for some time.

Comment

Working...
            X