Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does work I did the exact same thing

Comment

2 year later but I finally get this game now. I couldn't get into it originally but I've just given The Lost & Damned a try instead and ended up finishing it! Maybe it's down to The Lost & Damned throwing you stright into the deep end as an experienced player where as GTA 4 has to bed you in which I found slow and never got passed the first couple of hours.

Anyway I'm definitely going to give the original another go now.

Comment

I couldn't get into GTA IV at first either and almost gave up after the initial couple of hours. Glad I persevered as, even taking it's obvious shortcomings compared to GTA III on board, I regard it as one of the finest games this gen. The level of detail, scale, and sense of a city alive and working still take my breath away.

Comment

Cheers for the advice boys got a physical U.S copy in the end. perhaps should have downloaded the U.K vers as I have a 320GB HD but hey physical feels better. The shorts reviews you peeps did are really helpful too. Gonna do Gay Tony first then LAD after.

Just bought Lost episodes on PS3 finished GTA:IV and eagerly awaited this for a while was a hard choice out of this and GoW III. It`s good Gay Tony eps seem much better than LAD but only just started on both. A brief look at game spot n they said LAD`S missions are a lot like IV but Gay Tony`s missions are much better ala base jumpin etc. A bit annoyed with always havin to be on the bike in LOD lovin the club dancin in Gay Tony though.
          Last edited by JU!; 29-04-2010, 13:39.

Comment

Returned to the PS3 original after a 21 month absence to get some trophies.

So far I am in excess of 50 hours play but have completed the main story. Just doing some of the side missions now for some extra trophies.

I have been working on getting unique cars into the parking spots (colours that as far as I know cannot be obtained from the Pay n Spray).

I have...

White Cognoscenti (Gracie character mission)
            Pink Feltzer (after the Gracie kidnap)
            Yellow Comet (Brucie race mission)
            Orange Infernus (Bernie Crane)
            Yellow Patriot (Playbox X's car)
            Gold and Black Huntley Sport (Brucie boat trips).

I have yet to complete TLAD and TBOGT but I have the disk version on the 360. Did start TLAD. I have tried to use cars with TLAD where possible, There is an easy to get Turismo in/near Firefly Island.

Comment

Later this month Rockstar will update GTA4 to remove some of the music

Comment

So, having finally put GTA5 to rest I've started to put more time into GTA4 again albeit very early on. I'm playing it with several mods applied that fix several aspects of the game such as the muddy visuals, the on foot controls, a mostly centred vehicle camera etc. The result is an instantly better experience than the default one and the game is finally at a point where you can run everything maxed out without risking losing a locked 60fps at 4K.

The immediate thing that's noticeable going back is how much of my past memories of the game are reaffirmed. Liberty City is a detailed hodge podge of streets and details but it lacks all of the visual identity of the series and sense of fun the other games have. You quickly sense the repetition and the limited mission designs that come from it as a result too. Rockstar was so preoccupied with the possibilities of its physics engine that it never questioned whether any of it added anything to the game. Niko remains clunky even with the fixes and you spend so many of the early hours driving Roman's taxi rather than truly exploring the city, which is particularly notable because this incarnation of Liberty City is so deeply repetitive in visual design lacking the open views of most other entries or landmarks. Despite how many times I've ever played the game the city makes zero impression and the mini-map remains important to navigation as your mind struggles to sink the layout in itself.

The particularly straining thing about this is that this is a QOL improved version, it would be an even worse impression if I was playing the default version and having dabbled with GTA3 recently I know it's not because I have loaded up an older game than GTA5, it's just a dramatically worse title.

That's not to say I'm not having fun but there's a greater sense of perseverance with it. I'm crossing my fingers with GTA6 as the pattern is that I get less from every other GTA. GTA2 was a lot less likeable than 1, then 3 blew the lid off the experience. Vice City then felt like a step backward as it added vehicles etc but the city design and controls where worse plastered over with the theming, San And then brought back the older feel of GTA3 and amazed with its scale before 4 then ripped it all away for a focus on every wrong area until GTA5 restored all the greatest elements. Really hoping GTA6 doesn't continue this yo-yo pattern. Still, a lot to go with GTA4 on what I suspect might be its last playthrough for me.

Comment

The thing that really turned me off GTA4 is that they ramped up the cynicism and obnoxiousness (across characterization and radio channels and billboards, etc), yet with none of those - admittedly few - glimpses of humanity that tempered and redeemed this cynicism and which helped make the previous games pleasurable. GTA5 doubled down on that, in my opinion, and was like being locked in a room with a group of 13 year old edgelords who have just learned to swear...for 30 hours+.

Comment

Always thought the people who wrote the GTA storylines watched too many Tarantino movies and thought "I could do this."

They never really age well, just like those movies

Comment

Lazlow seems to embody it the most. In GTAV you're chasing him down as he's a media C-list sex offender but in GTA3 the character worked because he was the rational voice, the closes to the players voice being able to react to the insanity of the rest of the content

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        The thing that really turned me off GTA4 is that they ramped up the cynicism and obnoxiousness (across characterization and radio channels and billboards, etc), yet with none of those - admittedly few - glimpses of humanity that tempered and redeemed this cynicism and which helped make the previous games pleasurable. GTA5 doubled down on that, in my opinion, and was like being locked in a room with a group of 13 year old edgelords who have just learned to swear...for 30 hours+.
                        I had to go and work in LA/West Hollywood for a month a few years back. That's literally how it is in real life.

Comment

Finished this after a long sesh on it yesterday, playing it for extended periods makes you get more into the flow of how it plays but the thing I kept reminding myself of all the time was that much of the enjoyment was down to the extent of fixes put into the game that don't exist in the normal version. Even then, it pales against GTA5 in every regard. It's very clear that Rockstar had tunnel vision making the game, lost in its storytelling (that really isn't that great a story anyway) and the physics that detract more than they add. Liberty City here is a very forgettable place, a repetitive looking mish-mash of browns, teals and greys with missions that show nearly no imagination at all. The game is a step back from the PS2 era titles in several ways also but it was at least nice to go through it after having been away from it for so long that some freshness existed.

Going to move onto Lost and the Damned next.

Comment

Working...
                          X