No announcement yet.

Battlefield: Bad Company demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie, i see you like the game too since your comment sounds like copy-pasted from the dev's PR note

like i've already said, the game has a lot of potential but at the same time is far from brilliant for me. there are just to many NOs:

no co-op - my major complain!
    no team commands
    no configurable controls
    no stable frame-rate in (online MP at least)
    no consistent realistic environmental destruction, it's very much pre-defined
    no bullet penetration physics like in CoD4

i've also noticed a few minor graphical shortcomings such as no actual character body and therefore lack of own shadow. lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
      Really? I'm sure there is. When I've been playing online my bullets have gone through almost all the metal and wooden structures, thats just when using normal hand held weapons. Larger mounted weapons have been able to shoot people through stone structures, especially with the secondry cannons on the helicopters and tanks.

Anyway who needs bullet penetration when you can just remove the obstacle with a carefully placed grenade/rpg/m203.

Comment

There is BP, through wood at least

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
          There is BP, through wood at least
          didn't work for me - tested it in the SP campaign while trying to shoot an enemy through a wooden fence. but of course i wont complain if you're right.

Comment

Hate to chuck a spanner in the works but has anyone tried the quake demo?. I think tis very similar to BF but slightly better

Anyone..........

Comment

didn't work for me - tested it in the SP campaign while trying to shoot an enemy through a wooden fence. but of course i wont complain if you're right.
              Ah, it was in multiplayer where it worked for me. Sniped someone through a wooden fence, guess it could have been a bug.

Comment

i confirm you it's possible to shoot through wooden material in the SP demo. no idea if it can also kill someone but it would be highly non-logical if not. so far, so good

apart from the weapons class will there be any sort of character customization in MP?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                  Charlie, i see you like the game too since your comment sounds like copy-pasted from the dev's PR note

like i've already said, the game has a lot of potential but at the same time is far from brilliant for me. there are just to many NOs:

no co-op - my major complain!
                  no team commands
                  no configurable controls
                  no stable frame-rate in (online MP at least)
                  no consistent realistic environmental destruction, it's very much pre-defined

i've also noticed a few minor graphical shortcomings such as no actual character body and therefore lack of own shadow. lazy.
                  Haha. Not read the developer's PR note but I'll take your word for it.

Co-op would have been nice, agreed, but I'll buying this mainly for multiplayer action so am not overly concerned about co-op, same goes for team cammands.

I'm fortunate in that I don't have a problem with the control layout but, you're right, they should definately be user-definable. Indeed it's a crime that every game produced doesn't allow this.

I've read quite a few complaints about framerate and lag but, maybe I've been lucky, I've only experienced around 5 minutes of both in around 4 hours of playtime.

Agree about the destruction being fairly pre-defined but, still, it's a step forward compared to most FPS's where trees, fences, buildings, etc. cannot be destroyed - ie practically every FPS.

There is bullet penetration. Shoot someone behind a wooden fence and they cop it.

Comment

Just played the SP on this, was pretty cool and alot better than the MP was, I really wasn't that impressed back then.

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
                      Er, do you work for the developers?!!
                      I did.

Comment

I tried the closed beta a while back and thought it was ok, but this single player is much more interesting. Taking out the tank while dancing about the house was pretty intense when the walls start blowing up around you in a not-scripted-but-not-completely-natural-either way.

My main fault isn't the slightly weird controls (which are different to the norm for sure, but they do make sense) but the AI, which is very disappointing. When attacking the second main location I didn't feel that engaged, the enemies were so...lifeless. Also the weapons sound amazing but they seem to lack any real impact - too many shots to kill.

It is a little messy around the edges (respawns, forced cutscenes, AI etc) but I'm already quite keen on the game. The destruction is very impressive at times and I was pulled into the experience quite quickly. I'm not sure it can capture the feeling of the epic Battlefield 2 in multiplayer, but it does seem to be better than the ultimately disappointing Fuels of War in this regard.

Trying not to buy any more games for a while, but tempted by this. Will wait on reviews as interested in how well Dice can do single player...

Comment

Well I jsut this another following the review on IGN (scored 8.6 UK and USA).

I enjoyed it better than previous goes, but would need to see more. I think the demo is not selling the game that well? Even the review states that at first it is a bit slow, whuch is the demo. i think the game might be better.

Will rent it first.

Comment

if i believe IGN the SP is better than the MP this time around. good news for me because the MP, while being fun, wont last long for me without a proper co-op mode.

i might be tempted to buy at release if the game was region code free and i could order it from somewhere at a reasonable price. but i guess EA wont do me this favour.

Comment

Working...
                            X