Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Are we "allowed" to make new thread on 10 year old games?

Been playing this all over again today, and totally loving it. Properly sucked in to the story and the gameplay again. Banter between Snake and Meryl is great. Hardly far in, not even reached the tank battle with Raven yet but loving it.

Anyone else playing through this or other Metal Gears before the big one comes out on Thursday?

I really thought the graphics would bother me in this but they aren't, just goes to show what a masterpiece of a game it is that you totally bypass the visuals thanks to the story and gameplay.

I found this snippet from a Gamespot review when this came out:

"To say that the length of the game is disappointing is generous at best. Even if you were to watch every single cutscene and fumble around a bit at the beginning while learning the controls, you would still finish the game in around 15 hours. Once you know exactly what to do and skip as much plot as possible, you can run through the game in three hours or less. Konami attempted to add value in the form of the various difficulty settings, as well as incentives to play through the game again, but no amount of special items and visual tweaks (Gee... the cyberninja is red this time. Yea. Ooh, now I'm wearing a tuxedo. How... exciting) make Metal Gear Solid worth playing through more than twice, and even playing it through a second time just to see both endings is stretching it a little bit. Its brevity is simply appalling. While the game is definitely worth purchasing, you could easily rent it for a couple days and see everything that is worth seeing. Five years from now, when we look back upon Metal Gear Solid, what will we see? The game definitely is revolutionary in many ways. It breaks new ground in gameplay and truly brings the video game one step closer to the realm of movies. It is, without a doubt, a landmark game. But the extreme ease with which it can be mastered and the game's insultingly short length keep it from perfection. Plus, do we really want games that are more like movies? If Hideo Kojima, the game's producer, was so set on this type of cinematic experience, he should really be making movies instead of games. While Metal Gear Solid currently stands alone, it stands as more of a work of art than as an actual game. It's definitely worth purchasing, but don't be surprised if you suddenly get extremely angry when you finish the game the day after you brought it home."

Grrrr, do you think they would retract those words reading back on it now, as I think this is better than ever playing it again and they really seemed to feel bitter towards it back then.

Comment

nice thread. i've played this game 3 times in 3 different versions:

1. MGS (PS, US)
      2. MGS for bleemcast! (DC)
      3. MGS The Twin Snakes (GC, US) - superior in every respect to the original but strangely underpreciated

Comment

Haven't ever played through the original completely. Beaten Twin Snakes twice though, and I remember watching my brother complete the original back when it came out. I was in awe at the epicness of guiding the Nikita missiles and the fist fight with Liquid on top of REX.

Edit: though I just bought the US version of MGS1, so hopefully I'll have it completed by the weekend
        Last edited by honeymustard; 10-06-2008, 20:24.

Comment

Yeah I have been playing through all the MGS games (started with MGS3, then MGS1 and finally MGS2) and just finished my run through last night.

This is my favourite game of the lot though and my favourite game of all time, the blend of gameplay and story is just perfect. It is so cinematic you can't help being drawn into it all and like you said the game stills holds up today even with the dated visuals.

Oooo you are coming up to the first battle with Raven, quality stuff that little battle but it is much much better when you meet him again in the warehouse.

Thing I noticed when I played it (on Hard) again recently though was that the boss battles were slightly easier than I remembered them being when I originally played it. They were still extremely fun especially the battles with Sniper Wolf and Psycho Mantis, love it when he reads your memory card! "You have not been saving enough"

Funny reading Gamespot's comments from their review, this game gets better and better the more you play it......well in my opinion anyway. Everytime you play the game nostalgia kicks in, the great memories and moments just come rushing back from when you originally played it. Love it.

Comment

Was playing this not long back and think I must have finished about 7 or 8 times in total now!

Has to be one of my favourite games ever I think. I've tried Twin Snakes several times and even though it's on my favourite console ever it just really feels weak in comparison to me.

Looking back to the original version it's surprising how many things in it still hold up well today.

I really loved how Kojima was able to surprise me with the gameplay back then. If he manages to break half as much ground with MGS4 as he did back then I'll be very happy with the latest and hopefully last appearance for Snake. I would really like to see the character finally laid to rest with the latest game.

There are moments which I still remember now as being just so different to anything else available at the time.
            Last edited by JP; 10-06-2008, 20:43.

Comment

Yeh ezee, I think I'm feeling the same, Raven battle was over in seconds just there, and now done the first Nikita part. I loved that.

Think I've got Gray Fox battle up next, can't remember, been so long since I played it.

And John, you think 7 or 8 is alot, I used to play this constantly when it came out, trying to finish it in as fast a time as possible, and I'm not joking here, I have finished it 30 odd times!!! I was always gonna give TS a go, but like yourself, alot of people just don't rate it highly as the original so I never bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                nice thread. i've played this game 3 times in 3 different versions:

1. MGS (PS, US)
                2. MGS for bleemcast! (DC)
                3. MGS The Twin Snakes (GC, US) - superior in every respect to the original but strangely underpreciated
                I loved Twin Snakes, never really got on with the original MGS, yet Twin Snakes just felt right and made so much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                  I have finished it 30 odd times!!! I was always gonna give TS a go, but like yourself, alot of people just don't rate it highly as the original so I never bothered.
                  I'm a fan of Twin snakes

much better graphics (sniper wolf looks like a lady rather than a graphical mish mash) and there is alot more humour injected into the cut scenes

Like snake getting pistol whipped only to shrug off the attack and the soldier start to panic as Snake gets more angry

i found the hind fight more difficult using the GC pad though but the battle with

psycho mantis is more fun since there are 4 controller ports and it doesnt necessarily go in order

its just as good as the PSone version, it just looks prettier, recently played it through a few times to get the bandana and the tuxedo

Comment

Mmmmm im currently playing through TS, graphically it feels a lot more clinical than the original, and in that i feel its lost some of its charm. The reworked cut scene's work a treat, but i just cant get on with the the gc controls at all. But my love for all MGS games will pull me through.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                      They were still extremely fun especially the battles with Sniper Wolf and Psycho Mantis, love it when he reads your memory card! "You have not been saving enough"
                      I loved that bit too, there really was a lot of great little touches like that, the codec on the back of the box, the bit where Psycho Mantis can read your every move

until you plug the controller into port 2

, pure genius, for originality he was probably my favourite boss until MGS3, now I'd have to say it's The End for the exact same reasons.

Comment

Twin Snakes FTW

Comment

I prefer the picture on the left.

Comment

As do I!

Comment

All this Twin Snake hatin' just reminded me of the only bit I thought was stupid

I'm your Shadeaux!

Comment

Working...
                              X