Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

Unless I'm blind there isn't a thread for this yet, so I thought I'd make one. I'm playing the 360 version.
    First impressions of this are quite good. Nice cartoony graphics, overhead view without obstructions and the screen seems to keep up with the action. Movement for the player is through the left stick with the shooting done through the right stick (much like every second shooter on live). The right trigger uses the grenade and the left one for the megacrash, a smartbomb carried over from Mercs (even uses a similar graphic to display the megacrash pic up on the battlefield).
    You get to pick from three characters, who are graded on weapon, speed and health (two blokes and token female). There are four difficulty levels to chose from whether you are playing online or offline.
    One player mode is just like a update of Mercs, with a shoot everything in sight policy. There are various power ups available and a set number of hostages to rescue in each level. There also seems to be secrets hidden in the levels and when you get to the stage completion screen it grades you on how well you have done.
    You can play three player online, but disturbingly I could only find one other person when I was giving it a shot. You seem to get no continues as default, but I'm not too sure if that can be changed in the options. Online seems fun, but one niggle for me was when one player dies they can't continue, so just end up twiddling their thumbs while the other person is still playing. I'd imagine three player will be brilliant if you all are of a similar standard (so you don't end up getting knoked out prematurely!).
    Overall this seems good old style fun and as a fan of Mercs I'm happy with it. On a final note there is also the inclusion of a certain vs fighter beta sitting at the bottom of the title screen, unavailable as yet......

The online servers seem to be down for quite a few people - A lot of people are saying they can't find ANY games to play against people and likewise, nobody seems to be able to join their games.

The SFII HD beta will be released in a couple of weeks, i'm sure you all already know that anyway.

I've been playing this offline and got up to the third stage boss, this is actually really good! I'm always a whore for good, easy to learn combat systems and this is simple. Kill more without getting hit and your multiplier goes up. Had some great fun doing some nifty bullet dodging.

Comment

Got up to stage five last night on the second (of four) difficulties. I'm still enjoying this, but sometimes the levels seem to go on a bit. I love all the Mercs 'tributes' like the mega crash I mentioned earlier, and even the power ups are similar (with the medals for points) and the wooden boxes that contain them. Pity there isn't a mode like the megadrive mercs where it takes on rpg elements.

Comment

Working...
      X