No announcement yet.

Top Spin 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can do every shot in TS basically from drop shots at net to altering drop and lob shots with right stick and even curving shots by holding stick back then rotating counter/clockwise for serving.

I spent something daft of around 3hours on training getting used to it yesterday. Fathomed out why I couldnt aim as the buttons now make the world of difference. You just cant aim diagonal unless your in the right position for returning, spot on with timing and then down to whether its backhand or forehand and if its a more precise top spin shot to aim with as if it isnt and your using a normal flat spin shot it wont go as far in that direction.

Im really pleased with it. For ages I thought it was very clunky and aiming was off but you have to unlearn everything. I really commend the TS team for giving us a proper 100% basically PES of tennis as even things like your balance effects shots.

For ages I was not getting the shots and aiming then I reliased instead of old style tennis I now can move about the court and hold my shot button down whilst Im doing this to wind up (was used to pressing and not moving once I got their which leaves little time to aim). If I get in the position properly its then my own timing of when I release it NOT the game doing it auto. Before I release it I hold a direction I might want keep it held then release the button to get the direction I want. If the timing is off too early or too late it will pull the ball to one side or the other more depending on the early/lateness of the swing. As I said at first it felt very odd but I got used to it (actually got used to it much quicker playing a match then the 3hours learning on training).

I can see alot of reviewers getting peed off with the controls and marking it down badly for it but for me its best Tennis game Ive played. Ive always found sweet spots in sports games apart from PES to get points, tennis its always been whack it run to net give a nasty angle return point. Return get bad return angles to em on the line over and over and win. TS changes all this now each and every return your fighting to get you just cant angle it all over unless your nail it 100% everytime. Theirs even a risk button to get it close to the lines now instead of being able to aim like that (the risk shots are damn hard to pull off). No longer do I feel like its another tennis game doing the same thing, now the systems been evolved to the next level. It even uses the bumper buttons LB to run backwards for baseline shots & RB to crash the net (you need to use these and your body moves properly if you do otherwise he is slower and example would shuffle backwards for baseline instead of running back).

Arcade and sim tennis games can gell together nicely anyway (Im happy with VT for a arcade whackabout) but this will do me for a proper single player longevity experience

Just be aware your first smash might be with the controller to the screen until you learn it
    Last edited by Guest; 20-06-2008, 12:38.

Comment

I concur with others here, played for an hour now and you really must do the training! I am enjoying it as you have to 'think' about shots, timing etc. I have played VT to death since the Dreamcast days and was lloking for something bit different and this fits the bill.

Patience and time are needed at first but you soon the hang of it and now getting some great rallies going.

Comment

Originally posted by evert View Post
        Sounds cool, thanks!

My fave shot in the first Top Spin was a drop volley at the net, is that pull-off-able in this game?

And does anyone one know if the Wii version ONLY has motion controls, because as much as I am hoping for it to be a success, I still have the awful awful Sega Superstars tennis fresh in my memory. Will the classic controller be an option so Wii owners can get the same game of tennis as 360 and PS3?
        Those versions sound very sophisticated gameplay wise, it would be a shame if the most innovative console , control wise, turned out to have the worst conrtol set up.
        No classic controller support.

And the motion controls only give you access to full power shots. Once you've brought your hand back to prepare for a shot, you don't NEED to swing forward to hit the ball. The character will start the swing animation and then if you do swing forwards, you'll get a full power shot if you do it in time with the character.

Comment

Very hard (at least for me) to get into how Top Spin plays, having only briefly delved into Top Spin 2 on the Xbox. This coming from Virtua Tennis 3, which i did play quite religiously last year. I gave up playing online, when you got match after match, where players would abuse the 'cord-ball' shot. Otherwise it spoilt a very good game.

I just got to remember you can charge the shot up and move at the same time. Always keep on forgetting.

I do like the little details, like the sweat on the players jerseys, which will be sodden even more, depending on how long the match will go on. Plus the players face's look slightly more flushed as the match wears on (though i could be imagining that)
          Also clay kicking up on clothing.

Though i do feel that Virtua Tennis 3 nailed more player styles than Top Spin (from initial impressions) as most of the male players in Top Spin 3 seem to have similar forehands/ backhands.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggysays View Post
            Hmm, very odd. There is definately an online World Tour in the my PS3 version
            Does it work? Or do you get some kind of error message?

Maybe you have already downloaded the patch?

Anyway, the wife only plays tennis games and Soul Calibur and she's very interested in this, thanks for all the words guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
              Does it work? Or do you get some kind of error message?

Maybe you have already downloaded the patch?

Anyway, the wife only plays tennis games and Soul Calibur and she's very interested in this, thanks for all the words guys.
              Yea it worked and I did get prompted to download a patch as soon as I put the game in, so it was probably that then.

Comment

Still really enjoying this, but finding certain aspects of it to be a bit infuriating.

I can do all the "normal" tennis, but the risk shots are still a black art to me. I understand that it's all dependent on timing and positioning, etc, but sometimes I can make them, and sometimes they just refuse to work no matter how well set-up I am. I wish there was more of an indication as to how I've messed up, so i can try to improve, cos sometimes it just seems like pure bad luck.

And as expected, the majority of players online are already maxxed-out tennis gods.

I got myself up to an average of 56 stats (max is 70?), and I'm still having bother with the Junior tour, and sometimes I get pasted by much "weaker" players online. I guess I don't have the skillz.

Comment

Working...
                X