Top Spin 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Spin 3

This game is hard, very hard! If you are used to playing Virtua Tennis 3 or Top Spin 2 then you will be in for a world of gaming pain in the first few you games play. Any hint of arcade like gameplay that existed in Top Spin 2 has been removed and in comes challenging realism. Before you even begin to play a proper match I would recommend you go into the Top Spin School (basically a tutorial of sorts) to get to grips with the controls and style of gameplay.

After the playing through the challenges/tutorials in the school you will have an idea as to how challenging this game is. It took me a good hour or so to complete all the challenges but unlike me you don't have to do that. If you want, you can learn/get to grips with the controls and go off into a proper match. Obviously you have the standard shots (lob, flat, slice and top spin) but there different variations of each type of shot too. I would explain what they controls are and how they work but I don't think I could ever do it infact I would just end up totally confusing you guys. Like I said the controls are best learned through the in-game tutorials.

The key to the gameplay is timing, a little bit like real tennis. This even applies to serving, there is no power bar/meter so it is all down to judging the flight of the ball and timing the hit of the ball. When I finally started up a proper match I got absolutely battered, big time. I lost several matches in straights sets without even with a game or getting close to winning a game for that matter, I was playing on normal by the way! I would try to do power shots (holding down the shot button rather than just pressing it) and totally miss the ball or if I did make shots they would go out. After a few games though I realised I can't play this like Virtua Tennis or even Top Spin 2, I have to play a little more realistically. I started to play normal shots so the battle for points lasted longer and tried to force a mistake or weak shot out of the AI opponent. This tactic worked much better and allowed me to put in a few power shot here and there which resulted in me winning a few games. You will notice I said games there as I still haven't won an actual match yet, the closest I came was losing 5-3, 5-3! Thing is though, I still had fun and saw it as a challenge rather than "oh I am getting beaten, this game must suck".

As you would expect this has a career mode aswell as online play which is always fun with a tennis game. Haven't given either of these modes a go yet but will do in the next couple of days. Oh and graphically the game looks very very nice, as you would expect from 2K Sports really. The player animations on court are very smooth and realistic, some players animations are spot on. For instance they have the way Andy Roddick takes his serve nailed on to the way he does it for real. Oh and throughout the game the players will sweat, you can see this via the sweat patches on the tops and the beads of sweat on running down their faces. Nice! Players wise you have a few well know faces such as Federer, Roddick, Blake, Sharapova and Britain's very own Andy Murray! There are also a few legends to such as Becker, Borg and Seles. Federer vs Borg anyone?!

To sum up Top Spin 3 is a huge step up in terms of realism compared to Top Spin 2, like I said earlier there is no hint of arcade like gameplay at all. If you like your tennis games and you like a challenge, I think there is a lot of fun to be had from this game just don't expect it to come instantly though.
    Last edited by ezee ryder; 18-06-2008, 23:35.

good stuff.
    Which versionn did you get?
    Since Rafa Nadal is PS3 exclusive (for the time being) and i just wondered what the 360 version has as an alternative?

Also heard that you can't have a full game of tennis?
    a five set, first to 6 games etc

Does Monica Seles have her double handed forehand?
    since a few of the preview vids show that she doesn't have her trademark shot.

Comment

I got the 360 version mate and I don't think their is an exclusive character for it. Haven't really tried a full game (a 5 set, first to 6 games) although I did play a 3 set, first to 6 games match. Lastly haven't played as Seles yet, been trying to beat the damn AI opponents. Been playing against Roddick and his serve is unstoppable at times!

Comment

Also heard that you can't have a full game of tennis?
        a five set, first to 6 games etc
        One of the achievements involves playing a 5-set-6-game match, so I'd assume it's there.

Men’s award
        Win a singles match with 5 sets per match and 6 games per set on hard difficulty.
        Last edited by peeveen; 19-06-2008, 09:40.

Comment

This has jumped to the front of my list for tomorrow now thanks to those impressions

Looking forward to this now.

I assume that Andy Murray is a playable char

Comment

Thanks for the comments was wondering whether or not to get this for my ps3, loved topspin 1 never got VT or topspin2 so might have to pick this up, whats the career mode like good?

Comment

Read that the PS3 hasnt got the online career mode in retail its getting patched in. Manual says you can alter all sorts for full on tie break 5 set 6 game matches.

I played it for a quick 20mins last night, too a few tries to even hit the ball and Ive played VT and TS 1 & 2 for years. Got used to that quickly but then I couldnt even aim the blumming ball on second challenge (did it once dunno how) and then gave up for food and sleep. It looks and feels like its going to be a corker as Ive always got fed up with really arcadey tennis games (prefered TS more) but its got a massive learning curve

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
                Read that the PS3 hasnt got the online career mode in retail its getting patched in. Manual says you can alter all sorts for full on tie break 5 set 6 game matches.
                Just checked and there is an online World Tour, is that it?

Comment

Manual (For 360) says

------
                  player match singles and doubles, quick match, custom match

This is the one apparently missing from PS3?
                  World tour (ranked match) = play online career with a created player. Each session in world tour lasts 15 days during which players compete in real tourneys to decide next champion (then it gets wiped and everyone starts again). Has stats for player profile, season leaderboard and career leaderboard with geo leaderboards.

Single player
                  ------------
                  its got career (work way right up from junior to seasons to grand slam to compete with legends), exhibition and tournament mode. Tournament has options for 3/6 games 1/3/5 sets, super ties on/off so I dunno if the other options have these on or not yet.

Game also has difficulty settings from very easy to very hard

Its got Borg in it as well so got everything really compared to VT and Superstars for online and offline

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
                    Manual (For 360) says

------
                    player match singles and doubles, quick match, custom match

This is the one apparently missing from PS3?
                    World tour (ranked match) = play online career with a created player. Each session in world tour lasts 15 days during which players compete in real tourneys to decide next champion (then it gets wiped and everyone starts again). Has stats for player profile, season leaderboard and career leaderboard with geo leaderboards.

Single player
                    ------------
                    its got career (work way right up from junior to seasons to grand slam to compete with legends), exhibition and tournament mode. Tournament has options for 3/6 games 1/3/5 sets, super ties on/off so I dunno if the other options have these on or not yet.

Game also has difficulty settings from very easy to very hard

Its got Borg in it as well so got everything really compared to VT and Superstars for online and offline

Hmm, very odd. There is definately an online World Tour in the my PS3 version

Comment

One of the reviews (IGN) said PS3 had it missing, I dunno as I got it on 360.

Comment

does the slice shot feel like a slice shot? Is it effective or useless?
                        Is there a good difference between the topspin and flat shots? Can all the shots be used to win points rather than just one overly powerful shot?

Thanks for the impressions all!

Comment

Slice shot is definitely slicey ... slow and a lot of angle.

Top spin shot can get a lot more pace than the flat shot if used correctly.

I've won points using four types of shot so far. Haven't managed to pull off a decent drop shot yet, but I expect that's down to my rookie (custom) player.

Comment

Originally posted by peeveen View Post
                            Slice shot is definitely slicey ... slow and a lot of angle.

Top spin shot can get a lot more pace than the flat shot if used correctly.

I've won points using four types of shot so far. Haven't managed to pull off a decent drop shot yet, but I expect that's down to my rookie (custom) player.
                            Sounds cool, thanks!

My fave shot in the first Top Spin was a drop volley at the net, is that pull-off-able in this game?

And does anyone one know if the Wii version ONLY has motion controls, because as much as I am hoping for it to be a success, I still have the awful awful Sega Superstars tennis fresh in my memory. Will the classic controller be an option so Wii owners can get the same game of tennis as 360 and PS3?
                            Those versions sound very sophisticated gameplay wise, it would be a shame if the most innovative console , control wise, turned out to have the worst conrtol set up.

Comment

Just rented this from BB. Looking forward to trying it out. One thing to note it does require an install to play :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X